PDA

View Full Version : CD'er comes out!

rrosen
06-14-2004, 09:29 AM
Ok, so they say it takes 6 weeks for something to become a habit. So, now seems like a good time to come out of my cloth diapering closet. I have not told anyone except for my immediate family up until now. Their reactions stunk, so I was hesitant to tell anyone else until I knew I would be able to stick with it. We are doing great. Aside for ordering some things in the wrong size! (will be on swap later today ;-) ) We are mostly using pockets, FB, HH & BB I have one Ella on the way. DH was fairly anti-cloth so I figured the easier (and trimmer) the better. I am still trying to learn to use a prefold, but, dd is not too cooperative.
I have not tried any fitted diapers yet (I bought one but it was way too big) I'd love recommendations for some that would be easy to use.
The information on this board was invaluable to me. You are all very generous with your assistance. Thank you!

Now that I have told you all, I need to get the nerve up to tell my friends. Hmmm maybe another day!

sweetbasil
06-14-2004, 09:33 AM
Oh- this is the group to tell...Congratulations! We're here to support, encourage, and assist you, and possibly make the addiction worse, show you many new places to look, or just encourage you to stick with prefolds and covers, if you decide to :) Anyway, we're so glad you've joined us!

We have no fitteds now, but when we did, our SugarPeas were quite trim and the hemp was great and absorbent for nighttime. Probably the trimmest fitted dipes we've had have been el bees and First Class Baby from www.fluffymail.com (but both are a little tougher to get your hands on.

Welcome to the CDing club :D

todzwife
06-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Yeah! Welcome! I know what you mean about not wanting to tell people. It took me 8 months of my pregnancy to tell my mom I planned to CD. She took it better than expected, although I have had some people tell me how "weird" she thinks I am for doing it. It bugs me that she talks about me to others esp. about how I raise my son. Fortunately there are a lot of online communities where you can find like-minded mammas to talk all things cloth without feeling like you have to defend your decision. Good luck and welcome again!

todzwife
06-14-2004, 10:20 AM
oops double post

papal
06-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Wooohooo!! Welcome welcome to the cult of cd's! heehee.

We are a mostly a prefold household here ... but in my limited prefold experience, i would say taht i LOVE Elbees and i like the SPs and the FFs are nice too. :)

jec2
06-14-2004, 11:45 AM
Yay, we've got another one amongst us! Good going mama!

As for fitteds we have mostly Sugarpeas. I love them, especially since they've fit DS for so long...and will continue to.

I also vote for the Elbees. they are just so beautiful.

My new fave, of which I only have one, is the Motherease onesize. It feels soft and comfy like a pair of old sweat pants.

daisymommy
06-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Welcome! We're sooo glad you could join us on this adicting adventure! :) Please don't feel bad if it in the beginning you "fall of the wagon" a couple of times, we've all been there. At least you're trying it! And 6 weeks is really past the difficult zone I'd say. Congratulations!

bobica
06-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Wow, that's so great!!! We've been slowly dipping our feet in the cd waters (oh that sounds icky!) and 6 weeks is fantastic! We have 2 fitteds so far for nights- Crickett's hemp & Firefly sleeptight. Very happy with both but need fleece in both to keep her drier. We have had good success with them under stacinator fleece deluxe, sugarpeas wool and motherease airflow.

We just got our MEOS and have tried it once. So far so good. I totally agree that they're like an old pair of sweats. I'm thinking about a few more of them...ebay here i come!

Monica
Mom to Siobhan- 3/03

pritchettzoo
06-14-2004, 05:19 PM
Welcome to our cult! ;)

My favorite trim fitteds are Fireflies http://www.fuzbaby.com/diapering.htm -- I love the dyed organic cotton. I think our DDs are the same age, so she'd probably be in Mediums, which are out until early July. I think she has some plain ones though. We are almost out of the FCB and LC size 1s, and the size 2 are too big (from www.fluffymail.com --very much hyena diapers now!). I also like FLAG size 2s (www.righteousbaby.com) and the fitteds from www.mudpiebaby.com, but you have to snag them as soon as they stock. And of course, Sugarpeas are fabulous. She'd still probably have tons of room in a size 1.

Just let your friends figure it out when they see you change her. Mine thought CDing was a pregnancy-induced insane delusion until they saw me do it IRL...

Anna

starrynight
06-14-2004, 08:10 PM
I'm the opposite, I had no trouble telling friends it's family I don't want to talk about it with! I told my mom and brother but that's it, dh's family would have something negative to say I'm sure, they think I'm the odd one because I do everything so different.

Glad to hear it's working out for you :D.

new_mommy25
06-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Welcome and congratulations! CD'ing is fun and addictive, huh?

No need to worry about trying to figure out a snappi. Just fold your prefold into thirds the wrong way (not along the seams), and lay into a wrap like a prorap, green earth, bumpy day, bummi, nikky etc. You can also buy some fleece and cut out rectangles to lay on top. Sometimes I put fleece on the prefolds, sometimes I don't, and DS never seems to notice either way.

Our babies are the same age! DS is currently about 18 lbs. and fairly lean. Sugarpeas size 1, cloud9softies medium, sugarbums medium, and fireflys' medium all seem to fit him the best. Oh and you can also try sugarplumbaby. If you want something fun to put over your fitteds, go to woolybumbums.com. Sarah will make you the most awesome wool cover in anything you can dream up.

As for pockets, I really like my doodlebottoms, although it did wick for the first time last night. I'm going to throw it in the dryer and hope it fixes the problem. I have a medium though I'm pretty sure DS could fit a small.

If you want to try some cute AIO's, than go to Angelwraps. Amy has some great prints. THey run HUGE though. DS fits fine into a small, the mediums are still way to big. A lot of people here also really like Lilybottoms. AIO's are just as easy as a pocket and quite trim.

Good luck with CD's and your DH! TO be honest, my DH is very good at taking off a CD and slapping on a disposable. He refuses to convert. LOL, maybe if I stop having disposables availiable he will be forced to try a pocket.

calebsmama03
06-15-2004, 12:25 AM
COngrats - and welcome!! I still can't figure out a PF either!! I figure I'll have to wait till #2 before messing with it - DS is too squirmy now ;)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03