PDA

View Full Version : PANIC post!! Last minute indecision.

papal
06-16-2004, 02:13 PM
So i went and bought a huge box of dispies for dd because we are off to NM tmmrw. Now I am wondering, should i just take CDs?? We will be there Thu,Fri,Sat,Sun and return Mon. It is terribly hot there from what i hear. We are staying at MILs so I could possibly wash etc.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO? DISPIES OR CLOTH? Please decide for me!! I just can' think straight... my heart-rate is going crazy and I am hyperventilating and instead of packing i am typing this post.... mumeeeeeeeee.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-16-2004, 02:26 PM
I take cloth when we travel by car, especially if I can wash there.

I pack it all in a Rubbermaid bin in the back of the car so I can get to it easily. I use the Bummis bag to hold the wet/dirty ones, and I bring some grocery bags to tie up any poopy ones, double bagged if they are really bad. (especially when we were in the breastfed poop stage but now that it just rolls off I might not bother with that)

My problem is that most of her clothes are sized to fit over cloth and if we do disposables then she can't wear most of her pants. (I have a separate set of pants/shorts for daycare where she wears disposables, but those are not as cute as her regular stuff)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

nitaghei
06-16-2004, 02:51 PM
You're flying, right? I would take disposables in that case. You really don't want to deal with CDs at the airport restrooms (BTDT) and storing dirty dipes with the rest of your carry-on luggage.

Of course, I'd take disposables if I were visiting *my* ILs - because FIL would be totally freaked by the thought of poopy dipes in their washer. But your ILs might be cooler than mine about CDs. I do plan on taking 'sposies for the plane trip, and CDs for the stay when we visit India (whenever *that* is) - which is another option. So say about 10-12 'sposies; put 5-6 in your carry-on and pack the rest with your CDs? Just a thought.

And surely their house has A/C? So heat might not be an issue. It's not like Leela will be running around the playground for hours. If she's mostly indoors in A/C (which was the case with Neel last year), she won't be too hot in 'sposies.

Not sure if I'm helping! :) Just take the 'sposies - it't no big deal to use them for a few days! :)

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

papal
06-16-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks Karen and Nita!!
Ok, i am calming down and just taking the DDs.. they do have an a/c (just called dh for the 10th time today to confirm), so heat won't be an issue. Don't want to deal with the CD questions (amongst other questions) at the ILs (MIL is super cool but the SILs can be somewhat difficult).

Now i really need to start packing... eeeeeeeks! tick tock tock tock.

toomanystrollers
06-16-2004, 03:15 PM
My first thought - what if the airline lost your fluff???????? OMG!!!!

Take the 'sposies and a couple of fluffies to pat and hold :)

nitaghei
06-16-2004, 03:22 PM
You're welcome!

And make sure that you have Leela in a 2 piece outfit or something that's super-easy to change dipes in. Also, I love the little toiletries case that came with the LE Messenger for traveling. I put 2-3 dipes + wipes in a ziploc on one side, and first-aid stuff and handwipes in a ziploc on the other. I stash a Gerber flatfold in the middle to use as a changing pad. It's a super compact changing kit. Just grab that and baby and you're good to go.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

papal
06-16-2004, 04:20 PM
For a second there I read '2 piece swimsuit' instead of '2 piece outfit' and thought that you had gone crazeeee!! heehee.
I just sold my LE Messenger... hmm... i will have to make other arrangements.

The last ONE HOUR I was switching between the Ann Taylor loft skirt and top and the Hanna one and I still cannot decide. Then i tried out different combos of accesories and am going crazy (earrings, pendants, bracelets blah). WHY CAN"T ONE OF YOU LIVE RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO ME!!!!

todzwife
06-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Oh have fun in my neck of the woods! It's too bad you aren't coming closer! If you get bored and want to come visit me, you are more than welcome to! LOL! We won't be doing much this weekend!
And yes, it is HOT here. :P

Momof3Labs
06-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Rashmi, why are you hauling a box of diapers to NM? They sell diapers there, too! I usually bring one days' worth and just buy them at my destination (assuming that I have access to a car).

And I prefer to do disposables while traveling, but we don't usually travel places where I want to deal with laundry or can easily wash cloth dipes.

papal
06-17-2004, 12:00 AM
Lori, apparently the only stores in town are a Walmart and a Walmart.. no Target.. and I am loving the Target brand because they don't have a perfume.. also, i fear the Walmart.. heehee.

mudder17
06-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Hey! I'm in NM, too! Or at least, I just got here yesterday. We're in Santa Fe--what about you? Our trip is Wed - Mon.

Fortunately, my FIL doesn't care whether we use sposies or cloth. We flew here, so I just packed all my CD's (well, 16 dipes worth) in our suitcase, with one diaper bag full of 6 dipes (we ended up using only 4). Funny thing is, we had one huge suitcase that was about 2/3 rds full of diapers, baby clothes, bibs (she's drooling a lot now) and blankets. It was 1/3 full of our stuff. Then we also checked in a Pack 'N Play and car seat. We carried one diaper bag full of diaper stuff, and one other carry-on that had a few of our personals, two books, and a couple of baby blankets. So about 90% of what we backed belonged to the baby--who knew we would be doing this 6 months ago? :)

Anyway, maybe we'll run into each other in the desert. :) Ha ha. It's beautiful here, and just as hot as Baltimore, but it's quite dry.

Eileen

mother to beautiful Kaya, 2/22/04
http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

calebsmama03
06-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Chiming in late, but I agree. This is what I did when I went to Chicago a few weeks ago. Sposies for the plane and cloth for the stay (also stayed at IL's so could wash). I took less and washed every 2 days to save space, plus I used "spacebags" for luggage (you squeeze all the air out and it saves a ton of space).
Have a nice trip!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03