PDA

View Full Version : Well, we are 30 hours back into cloth diapers...

kijip
06-20-2004, 01:12 AM
After using a diaper service with CPF for about 4 (?) months we shelved the cloth since we had constant blowout and leak issues and no washer in our studio for the covers (we have since moved). We were using disposibles since then but had decided to go back to cloth and wash our own (Thanks to the great advice found here). We were lucky enough to find a dozen used fitted flannel diapers with doublers included, 4 barely used like new Cot n Wrap covers and an ok condition Fuzzi Bunz at a consignment store in Toby's size for an total cost of $37. I tossed in some fleece for liners. We also have a small stash of prefolds from before to back us up. I plan on buying more fitted diapers and some more covers after we do a bit of trial and error but figured this would be a good start up set to see if we get into the groove of laundry etc before we go whole hog and get $12 each diaper diapers. So far these have been the positives:

Toby seems to like the soft flannel
No leak or blowout issues
Nice seeing the reduction trash (8-10 pampers is a lot of trash)
Toby made the sign for diaper change 2 times today since he did not feel uber dry- I see easier communication in our future that I hope will help with toilet training when the time comes.
No rash issue but I have started using a little ointment as a precaution since he is used to a super dry feeling.
The laundry that I just did was easy.

At one point I thought we had a massive leak but then I realized that he had just dumped a glass of water on his front and it had gotton all over the front of his diaper. Tee hee.

Thanks for all of your help in making the leap. I am sure I will call on your expertise again as I look to spend the budget I have for cloth diapers (gleaned from a "what do you want for Toby's birthday" question from a relative-- "well we are switching to cloth diapers...") So with the very generous present in the form of a check, cloth is going to be way cheaper!

After comparing the covers I am using now to the ones I was using before I see why we had problems. I should have looked for better covers! And I like fitted way better than prefolds (as does my husband).

daisymommy
06-21-2004, 02:25 AM
Yeah! Congratulations on being back in the saddle again :) Keep us posted on how things go and let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

jec2
06-21-2004, 02:15 PM
I'm glad you are back. Let us know if there is anything that you need help with.