PDA

View Full Version : Detergent?

crl
06-28-2004, 10:18 PM
I'm feeling very confused about which laundry detergent to use for cloth diapers.

I'm trying out pocket diapers (FB, Snapping Turtle and BB w/ LizaJame inserts, MOE inserts and Joeybunz inserts) and AIOs w/ fleece outers (sugarpeas snap in diapers and LHC windpro). So there's a wide variety of materials to wash.

We have a frontloading washing machine and normal water. I currently use Arm & Hammer free liquid on our clothes and am quite happy with it.

Cost isn't a big factor. And I'm willing to use a different detergent for the diapers--but only one. Also, I really don't like scented products. Suggestions????

Thank you!

pritchettzoo
06-28-2004, 10:42 PM
We use the Costco version of Tide in our frontloader, but I've been having some smell issues (and hemp is notorously bad for that--and the frontloaders don't help! :( ) so I've been alternating with only baking soda and tea tree oil. I've read that the Tide HE is good even in toploaders because it's low-sudsing and less likely to produce detergent build-up. I'm going to have to search for a new detergent myself!

If you ask 50 CDers, you'll get 50 different responses! And it will depend on your machine and your water...I'm not helpful, am I?

The pocket diapers will probably do better being laundered separately from the hemp inserts, but that may be too big of a PITA. FWIW, Fuzzi Bunz recommends Allen's Naturally, 7th Generation, Ecover, Life-Kind, and Cheer Free.

Anna

kitmama
06-29-2004, 12:21 AM
I use Arm & Hammer free detergent on our clothes, but when I tried it on ds's diapers it gave him a rash. I decided to try Bi-O-Kleen premium laundry powder, and I REALLY like it. It's easy on the environment, works well, doesn't give ds a rash and a little goes a long way. It does have a slight scent, but it smells of oranges because it has grapefruit seed extract in it. It's more expensive than regular detergent, but I just use it on diapers and (for now) baby clothes. I ordered mine when I was getting some fluffy mail, but I'm going to check Whole Foods next time I'm there to see if they carry it, too.

crl
06-29-2004, 06:14 AM
Thanks!

pritchettzoo
06-29-2004, 11:48 AM
I've read that you're not supposed to use Biokleen on pocket diapers or anything with microfleece--I don't know why though. I just spent 10 mins searching on MDC with no answers, just lots of warnings against. Just something (else!) to think about...

Anna

kitmama
06-29-2004, 01:53 PM
hmm, thanks for the heads-up! I don't have pockets, but I do wash fleece. . . I wonder how it might cause a problem?

squimp
06-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Yea, I'd like to know more about this too. I've been using Bio-Kleen powder and liquids on my Fuzzi buns for the past 6 months with no problems. I love Bio-Kleen because it has almost no smell. It might depend on the water - ours is on the soft side.

akabraz
06-30-2004, 01:23 PM
I have always used regular Tide on all my diapers, covers etc. and not one single one has ever had an odor nor a stain.

DebbieJ
07-01-2004, 01:34 PM
I think Bio-Kleen is a soap based cleaner as opposed to a detergent. That can cause build up on fleece.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03

pritchettzoo
07-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Apparently these are two different things.

Bio-kleen is a soap, not a detergent (who knew this was different?) and it will cause awful build-up, especially on fleece.

Bi-O-Kleen is supposedly a-okay for diapers.

(According to what I've read on other diapering boards, not scientifically based research! ;) )

Anna

kitmama
07-04-2004, 01:28 AM
I have Bi-O-Kleen, and I think it is also soap-based. . . and it was recommended to me specifically for diapers, , , what I wonder then is, if a soap based laundry powder causes such build-up on fleece (and, I guess, suedecloth- if pocket dipes are a no-no too) then why wouldn't it do the same to diapers?

kijip
07-05-2004, 07:20 PM
I have been using All Free and Clear and so far so good. But it has only been a few weeks.

Nora
07-05-2004, 10:45 PM
I use Tide HE (have a front-loader)and have had no problems. I use Fuzzi Bunz 24/7, but use hemp inserts as well as micro-fiber ones. I wash them all together.

squimp
07-16-2004, 01:51 PM
This was driving me koo-koo, because I love Bi-O-Kleen. SO, I had to get to the bottom of this!!! OK, the FB website recommends Seventh Generation (among others), and the ingredients are very very similar for Bi-O-Kleen and Seventh generation. (I think the fact that a have half a degree in chemistry contributed to my insanity - just enough knowledge to be dangerous). So I sent a message to the FB folks and Bi-O-Kleen asking for help.

Bi-O-Kleen said: "While I cannot comment on other products, I can tell you that our products are detergents, not soap."

So I'm going to stick with what has been working for us, and still recommend Bi-O-Kleen. Pilling on the fleece has really dropped off since we started using it, and the diapers come out smelling sweet.

AND please excuse my compulsive need to figure this out!! :D

kitmama
07-16-2004, 02:24 PM
No excuses needed! This was really bugging me, too- but I just haven't had time to follow up. So I'm really glad you did it for me! :)

Glad to hear the Bi-O-Kleen is A-ok. It sure has been working well for us!