PDA

View Full Version : 4 am poosplosion

mum1day
07-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Is it inevitable that my PF's will leak? DD had a major blowout this AM. Thank God I had the lap pad down on the bed--it came out of the cover.

Any suggestions on good folds for my DD?

TIA

ETA horrible spelling

papal
07-05-2004, 11:29 AM
I forget how old your baby is but we never had a pooplosion(LOL) that bad... i used the bikini twist and made sure to gusset the material around her thighs..this helps with containment.

Momof3Labs
07-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Can you give us more specifics? How big (weight and length) is your baby? How old? What type of fold are you using, and what type of cover? Where was the leak from - legs, front or back?

mum1day
07-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Sorry, I should have given the basics:

My DD is 14.8 pounds and 25.5". I have premium IPF's on her. I basically use this fold: http://www.littlelounginglizards.com/folding.htm

I had my Aristocrat on her. It leaked from the side, as they usually do. Side bottom, if that makes sense. Right in her thigh area.

It was BAD!

Rashmi, where can I see the "bikini fold"?

Momof3Labs
07-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Wool doesn't do a very good job of holding in newborn poop, IMO. IF you want a poop-proof diaper, I'd suggest a PUL cover - Bumpy, Proraps, something like that.

papal
07-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Here is a link that shows how... it is the third picture:
http://members.ll.net/naturalmothering/diapering.shtml

basically, lay the baby on the diaper, twist the portion of the diaper that is in the front and snappi at the sides. Once snappied, fold excess cloth that is around the thighs, under itself, sort of to form a gusset? Does this make sense? This also makes for a VERY trim diaper.. you can put a fleece liner in there if you wanted too.

mum1day
07-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Here's hoping that we don't have another poosposion at 4am...I will have to try this tomorrow night as DD is already sound asleep.

Thank you, you're always so darn helpful!

mum1day
07-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Really? I hate to part with all of my nice wool covers. I've grown so attached and I'm even learning how to knit to make some yummy soakers! I wanted something that was breathable. I have a daytime Bumpy on the way, so will try it at night if I get desperate.

Thanks, Lori! You're always so helpful as well!

pritchettzoo
07-05-2004, 09:59 PM
I saw one on another board where the mama rolled the sides up making dams for the poop.

And you don't have to get rid of your wool--just save it for when the poop slows down! I've found that gusseted sides (like in Proraps and Nikkys and I think Bumpys) work really well to hold in poop. Bumpy makes a wool cover too; it might have side gussets.

Anna

rrosen
07-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Here are the pictures of the rolled side fold that Anna was talking about.

HTH

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=147875&highlight=roll+fold

Click on the link in the thread. For some reason my link does not take you directly to the pics.

mum1day
07-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Believe it or not, I have tried the side wall several times on my DD after I saw that same post on MDC and we've still had leaks. Don't get me wrong, last night was the mother of all leaks, but we didn't have luck with the sidewall when we did try it.

*sigh*

Thank you so much though! :)

mum1day
07-05-2004, 10:17 PM
I have a Bumpy wool on her right now. You're so right. Those gussets keep the poo from getting on my bed, unlike my Aristocrat.

Momof3Labs
07-05-2004, 11:45 PM
No, no, don't get rid of that wool! Just use it during the day for now, and you can use it full-time again when the poop firms up a bit (when you introduce solids - around 6 months for most babies).

jec2
07-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Maybe then do a fitted diaper with the wool cover. I ALWAYS had poop leaks with PF's but hardly ever with fitteds. I am a fitted gal :)

mum1day
07-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Any recommendations for good fitteds?

Momof3Labs
07-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Everyone will have a different suggestion for you! I'd suggest that you read through some old posts to see what the favorites have been. Personally, I liked size 1 Sugarpeas, which are now available at www.naturalbabies.com.

jec2
07-06-2004, 01:01 PM
If this is for daytime, I do love the Sugarpeas size 1. We also have 1 Motherease OS and I am really enjoying that as well as some Little caboose and Elbees, which both are more than hard to get.

For nighttime, we had been using Firefly sleeptights but are back in sposies for nights for now. They are bulky, but they worked well.