PDA

View Full Version : seriously now, question about stink

lizajane
07-13-2004, 05:28 PM
of course, i am in the stinky dipe crowd. i can get them smelling fresh (wet, clean smell out of the washer, not a detergent smell) pretty easily without much trouble. but my pail is like an ammonia POISON GAS BOMB. we are now using my 8 layer hemp fleece insert with TWO joeybunz and all that hemp reaks in the morning. that's 20 layers!!!

so my question is this:

do your dipes REALLY not smell like poison gas after they sit in the pail overnight? is my pail supposed to NOT smell? i mean, smell like wet diapers, but not like poison fumes. and i am only talking about pee smell. we have a mini shower, so we don't have a poop smell problem at all. (by the way, if you don't have a mini shower, GET ONE NOW! i can't believe i wasted a whole 14 months of my life without it.)

daisymommy
07-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Oh! I'm so gald you asked this question! I want to know the answer too! My diapers smell so fresh and clean staright out of the dryer, I do 100 rinses (well, not really, but close ;)), but after 1 day in teh pail I can't even breathe the air in the room after opening up the pail lid! I hold my breath, drop in the wet diaper, and run!!! I do use a minishower to completely spray the dipes clean, I know I don't have build-up, so what gives? I even use pail-pals on occasion to see of it helps, but it doesn't. Thankfully I can't smell anything when the lid is closed, open open.

nwaddellr
07-13-2004, 09:18 PM
So have your dipes always been ammonia bombs or is this a warm weather thing? Mine used to be fine, but now that summer has arrived, we have the ammonia poison gas bomb going off in the pail. I was wondering what I did wrong recently, but maybe its just the warmer weather lets more things grow in my pail overnight?

Sorry, not really a helpful post, just a commiserating post...

jec2
07-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Aha, that must be it! The warm weather must be the cause. We've been experiencing the same thing too. I've sticking my nose to the dipe everytime DS pees to make sure they aren't stinky but it happens after it's been in the pail.

wendinbill
07-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Well, obviously mine stinks because my six year old came out of the bathroom, carrying the pail, with his other hand plugging his nose. "No more cloth diapers mom. They STINK!!!!!!"

liya
07-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Mine have always wreeked LOL. They smell wonderfull after they are washed and there is no stink when Ari pees in them but the pail always has wreeked..LOL its pee and if it sits there in a closed lid(especially with my weather) its going to smell. So honestly i dont pay attention to it..LOL

toomanystrollers
07-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Yup - our pail stinks too. Best thing to do - leave the lid open if possible.

daisymommy
07-18-2004, 11:50 PM
Hmmm, come to think of it, things didn't get stinky until
1) the warm weather hit
2) we got a true CD pail that is much more airtight than the Sterlite pail. It must not let things breathe in there, and makes the ammonia "brew" even stronger. Yuck! Is that what I get for spending more money when the trash can pail was working just fine?

MartiesMom2B
07-19-2004, 08:53 AM
I have a diaper pail in my laundry room and reading this has made me realize why I've been running more loads of laundry. I just can't stand the smell anymore. I even have an open diaper bucket too. It's not until I get to the diapers on the bottom that I'm attacked by the ammonia bomb. Yuck!

Sonia http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character03.gif
Proud Mommy to Martie

bobica
07-19-2004, 12:50 PM
The HOT HUMID weather definitely added to our stink! I'm now using a glad "disposable" 1/2 cup plastic container- lid glued to the lid of the can, holes poked into the bottom of the cup & stick a pail pal in there. I love the pail pal smell, & the stench of the pail is better now.

Of course, the smell is WAY better now that i bleached our hemp!

Monica
Mom to Siobhan- 3/03

parkersmama
07-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Interesting...I hadn't considered the thing about the diaper pail. Ours is definitely stinky, too! It does seem more stinky since getting the true diaper pail as opposed to the trash can. very odd.