PDA

View Full Version : help where do I start (cloth diapering)?

bridgetb125
07-28-2004, 11:36 PM
I have always used disposable diapers, but I have been looking into cloth diapering. Everything is so overwhelming. I have looked at site after site and read lots of information. Nothing is sticking though, there is so much to take in. I would do so much better if I had someone in person explaining and showing me the different types of cloth diapers, and where to start, etc. My son is 4 months old. I am looking for an easy to use diaper. Also one that is trim, I don't want to add alot of bulk. I was thinking about getting one of the starter sets. Any ideas for me? I just want to try it out before I totally commit to cloth diapering. I don't know how though. Here's what i'm looking for: something easy to use, really soft, nice color/pattern would be a plus, and trim (don't want bulk).

Momof3Labs
07-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Have you read the Cloth Diapering 101 thread that is pinned at the top of this board? That's where I would suggest beginning.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest that you start with a pocket diaper like a Fuzzibunz or Baby Blanket (which can be custom embroidered). Cloth is not at all trim compared to a disposable, but a pocket stuffed with 1-2 hemp inserts is about as close as you will come.

rrosen
07-29-2004, 12:00 AM
Welcome!
I am fairly new to CDing myself, many here are much more expert on the subject, but I wanted to be sure to give you some help. There is so much information and it is overwhelming. I started by reading and rereading the post Cloth Diapering 101 that is pinned to the top of this forum. And as geeky as it sounds, I took notes. I even printed out the diaper washing instructions, put them in a plastic protector and posted them by the washing machine! I also printed out the list of diaper abbreviations and kept it by the computer for a while. I had a hard time understanding what people were talking about with all of the initials!
Eventually, I figured out that I was a good candidate for pocket diapers and AIO's (all in ones) as the bulk of my stash. Like you I wanted ease of use, trimness, and cute did not hurt. Many of the WAHM's (work at home moms) who sell many of the diapers are very helpful answering questions you may have. I started by buying a few different types of pocket dipes. (I also bought some CPF (Chinese prefolds) and covers. I also bought a couple of different types of stuffings (micro fiber towels, hemp inserts, and MOE inserts (Mother of Eden) which are also a micro fiber. I tried some pockets with Velcro and some with snaps. Some of what I bought at first worked well for me (and fit DD well) and some did not. I have sold what did not work and bought more of what did. At first, it will be trial and error. Don't buy too much of one thing at first. Things that work great for one person may not work well for your child.

Ask questions here too. Everyone is very helpful and generous with their advice. I lurked for a long time before I got the nerve to post. Don't do that there is no need.

Some places I have had luck ordering from (the WAHM's were very helpful) are
www.naturalbabies.com Colleen will answer any question and not make you feel silly
www.babyomine.com Anna is on these boards (pritchettzoo) and is currently hosting our bbb pin sale on her site

Give it a try! It is so much easier than I would have ever imagined.

Hope to see you around!

new_mommy25
07-29-2004, 12:44 AM
Where do you live? There may be someone on the board that can help you.

My first purchase of CD's were 6 sugarpeas from Linda (Liya). I still use them everyday and they are in wonderful shape. We have size 1's and DS wears them with room to spare. With a Nikky cover over them they are also the trimmest diaper I own.

bridgetb125
07-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Thank you everyone for your help so far! I can't wait to try cloth diapering out! Also i'm in Atglen, PA (Southeastern part), if anyone is closeby that could help let me know!!!

mudder17
07-29-2004, 05:09 AM
I'm in Baltimore, which is an hour and a half from you. There may be someone closer--I know there are several of us in the D.C./Baltimore Metro area.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya