PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Fuzzibuns experts: Is this too big?

writermama
10-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Help? I ordered 2 large Fbs for my 22 pound, 11 1/2 inch thigh. 16 inch waist DD. Now that they’re here, I’m afraid I should have gotten a medium instead. They’re much larger than the Baby Blanket, Happy Heiny, and Wonderoos I ordered.

Please take a look at these pics and tell me what you think. I haven’t washed or used them yet so I can still exchange them. Should I exchange these for mediums? (You’re looking at the un-stuffed FB on top of a Huggies)

When I put it on, it was over her belly button, but it slid down as soon as she stood up. Also, I noticed that it seemed to gap in the front when she took a step forward. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance,
Karen

Edited to remove some photos and all of the in-line attachment links.

SeekerMage
10-23-2004, 02:35 PM
I think that look pretty good. Maybe a little big, but I think the fit will be different once you put the "stuffing" inside of it. That should take care of the gap at the front and the sagginess. As she is a the low end of the weight range of the dipe I would say this might be as expected...but Im new to the whole thing so I could be wrong! Anyhow...LOVE the curls! either way (from the back) she looks like a cutie!

Momof3Labs
10-23-2004, 02:58 PM
Too big. The rise is too high, for starters. Colin is 31lbs and still doesn't fit well in large FBs, quite honestly.

egoldber
10-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Honestly, I don't think you can tell without stuffing them first.

Saartje
10-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Looks too big, but definitely don't exchange for a medium. Ishie is outgrowing his medium FBs on the thighs (though the waist is still on the smallest setting) and he's smaller than your DD. I'd say either wait until she grows into them, or exchange for something else altogether, or return for a refund.

mudder17
10-23-2004, 03:11 PM
With a 16" waist and only 11.5" thighs, I would say these FB's are too big. And you don't give her rise, but like Lori said, it looks like it's way too high in the rise. DD is much lighter than your daugher (16+ pounds), but she has a 16.5" waist, and 10" thighs (and only a 13" rise). The mediums fit her extremely well, and in fact, I can use the smallest snaps on her. I would think that a medium would be plenty big for your daughter. But I've only used FBs for less than a month, so I'm not really an expert. But from the pics, it definitely looks on the big side. Oh, and if you think that the rise from a medium would be too short, you could always try a petite toddler. What do you think Liza? Would a petite toddler fit her?

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

lizajane
10-23-2004, 07:45 PM
definitely exchange them for petite toddler size. the large is still too big for my 27lbs 19 month old. i have to cross over the snaps at the waist and i still get leaks out the top sometimes. (granted, at 27 lbs, he is also 35.5 inches tall. which makes him a skinny noodle, but still has larger waist/thigh measurements than your dd.) my mom got the larges for me when schuyler was maybe 9 months old, so we didn't realize how skinny he would be. he was always so big, we thought he would keep on growing out and up! the petite toddler still fit him on the second to largest snap and they are the only dipe we have that guarentees no nighttime leaks. which says a LOT due to my super soaker. in fact, we just ordered 3 more PTs for him because i don't know if the larges will ever fit him right.

egoldber
10-23-2004, 09:38 PM
My DD wore PT FBs for a loonnngggg time (over a year?) before she finally grew into larges!

writermama
10-23-2004, 11:21 PM
I'd be willing to try the Petite Toddler size, but what I've read indicates they're for skinny babies. Though small for her age, my DD isn't skinny. Also, since most of DD's 22 pounds seems to be in her thighs, I'm worried that the PTs might be too tight there.

According to Kelly's closet, these are the thigh measurements for the different sizes:

Medium 10-13 in
Large 11-14 in
Petite Toddler 9-12 in

Does that seem right to those of you who use the PT size?

Also, how do you measure the rise on a baby?

Thanks,
Karen

daisymommy
10-24-2004, 12:39 AM
I agree--too big! That 3rd picture gave it away!

If it helps any, Joshua fits great in the size Large. Here are his measurements:
Weight 31 lbs.
Height 36" (so not a long skinny guy at all--more compact like a football player :)).
Waist 20"
Thighs 13"
Rise 19"

egoldber
10-24-2004, 10:57 AM
IMO, the key with FBs is the thigh measurement. If your baby does not fall within the thigh measurements, then you will get gaps at the legs and leaking. My DD was very average sized (50th percentile for weight and height). Definitely not what I would call super skinny. She wore PT FBs from about 18 months until she was over 2.

HTH,

lizajane
10-24-2004, 04:12 PM
i will try to measure schuyler's thighs for you when he wakes. he doesn't have skinny legs. just a skinny waist. his legs are kinda normal/average. just not chunky. so for us, the PTs are more about the waist issue.

but i can tell you that the mediums un-snapped on their own at the thigh several months ago, but the PTS do NOT come unsnapped. so the mediums were too small at the thigh, but the PTs are not.

maybe someone could loan you a PT to try on? i am sorry that i can't- we only have one right now and like i said, it is the only nighttime dipe that definitely works.

writermama
10-25-2004, 07:54 PM
I think I have a plan. I ordered an Ella's diaper last night and since I was already paying for the shipping, I went ahead and added a medium frog print second to my order -- I would have bought a petite toddler, too, but they only had small, med, and large.

If the medium fits, I'll exchange the larges for mediums. If the medium doesn't fit, I can give it to a pregnant friend who plans to use cloth diapers and exchange the larges for petite toddlers.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on the issue.

-Karen

writermama
10-25-2004, 08:00 PM
I measured her rise last night -- three times, three different measurements: 11, 12, or 13 inches, so I'm guessing it's actually about 12 inches.

I also remeasured her waist. Even though it was 16 inches a week ago, this time it was 18 inches. I don't think she could have grown that much in a week, so I suspect she was "sucking it in" the last time I measured her. ;)

I'm going to try a medium (because I have a friend I can give it to if it doesn't work) and if that doesn't work, I'll try the petite toddler.

Thanks for the advice.

-Karen

mudder17
10-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Kaya's thighs are 10, but her waist is 16.5 or so (it's actually getting smaller--the opposite of what your DD has done) and her rise is about 13. So not too different from your DD. The mediums are perfect for her--plenty of room to grow.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

brittone2
10-26-2004, 11:04 AM
We're in a similar situation. We've been using BBs and medium FBs, but DS is outgrowing them at 20 lbs (DS is 8 months). The BBs don't fit in the thighs well anymore and keep coming unvelcroed. The FBs fit fine everywhere (waist and thights) except the rise is too short. His little toosh keeps peeking out by a few inches over the top of the dipe.

I don't know what to do! I ordered 3 medium FBs again to replace the BBs we are retiring, but I'm not thrilled with this route since his toosh crack is hanging out. I didn't wash the new mediums yet, and I'm waiting on a petite toddler as we speak to see if we can get away with that. If we can use the petite toddler, then we'll be returning our medium FBs. If neither work, I'm in trouble!!

I guess we'd have to get custom dipes done or something. The rise issue is just a pain....we could get a lot more use out of our medium FBs if only DS's rise wasn't problematic.

I'll let you know how it goes for us when we get our PT FBs. Let me know how they fare for you!

lizajane
10-26-2004, 12:35 PM
the PTs are almost the same as the mediums, but with a longer rise. so they should be perfect for you!

brittone2
10-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Just wanted to drop a line here since the OP had a similar problem....

We got our PT FB in the mail yesterday and it fits PERFECTLY. I'm so happy with it!! There is still room to grow in the thighs and waist, but the rise now fits really really well. I'm shipping my mediums back and exchanging them for 3 more PTs.

For anyone else in a similar situation, the measurements on the PT and the Medium in terms of thighs and waist are pretty similar between the two sizes according to the FB website and my own experience, but as the post above points out, there is definitely a longer rise on the PT.

I never measured DS's thighs or waist, but we were on the last/2nd to last snaps on the thighs in the mediums and we had the waist closed so that only the two snaps in the very middle were visible (we were snapped on the 2nd smallest waist setting). That was in the mediums, and the PTs are fitting pretty similarly.

Thanks again!

egoldber
10-27-2004, 10:29 AM
I think the name "Petite" Toddler is very misleading and scares many people away from this size. I think they are perfect for a LOT of toddlers. If your child is at that point where they have stopped getting chunkier, but have started sprouting up in height, the PT size is a great way to go.

HTH,

writermama
10-31-2004, 02:17 PM
The Medium frog print second fits perfectly. It looks like she has plenty of room to grow in them, too.

Thanks again for all of the help.

-Karen