PDA

View Full Version : Where's your pail?

tarahsolazy
10-27-2004, 10:20 PM
So, we moved, so the diaper stuff had to be rearranged for the new house. Our old house was tiny, but had a big bathroom upstairs, so the changing table and pail was up there. It worked great, and DH and I both loved it. Now, we have a more conventional (read suburban :( ) house, with smaller bathrooms. The dipe stuff had to go in Fory's room. And, he actually has a room now, in our old house, he shared ours. I want the pail in there, too, but DH wants it to stay in the bathroom, which is about 5 steps down the hall. I know I'll end up with peed dipes stacked on the changing table this way, DH is worried about smell, if the pail stays in DS's room. I plan to get a mini-shower soon, as someday F will actually eat solids, and we'll have a poopy pail in the BR, as a secondary.

Where are your pails, and what are the advantages and disadvantages of said location(s)?

new_mommy25
10-27-2004, 10:31 PM
We don't have a pail. We have a Bummi's bag which lives in the corner of the bathroom. I firmly believe there are LESS smells when there isn't a pail because the air circulates freely. We can never smell anything. We change DS all over the place and then just toss the diaper in the bag. There are times when the pee diaper will sit somewhere for a little while (whoops!) so that's something to work on.

KrisM
10-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Currently, ours is in DS's bedroom with the changing table. I don't find that the smell is too bad. I do let it air out a bit when I do laundry. Whether or not that helps, I don't know.

Right now, I'd be worried about the once/day huge BF poops we're having. I think it would drip during those 5 steps down the hall :).

We just started solids, so I could have a different opinion in a couple of months!

ALLEYCAT
10-27-2004, 10:39 PM
We have a bay in our bedroom on the changing table which was the only one untill about a month ago when I got a minishower and made a bag to go in the bathroom. It hangs on the doorknob of the closet beside the toilet fo poopies. It smells ALOT less than the one used for pees in the bedroom. But I can not convince anyone to rinse the pee diapers before putting them in. Oh and we use hemp inserts for our pockets.

steph2003
10-27-2004, 10:51 PM
This is going to sound really weird but our pail is right outside of DS's room - in the upstairs hallway. It was in his room & yes, there were times when it was full & starting to smell. I moved it into the hall to "air out" & it just kinda stayed there. My thought process was that I close DS's bedroom door all the time (ie naptime & all night) where in the hall it can get more circulation & the "stink" doesn't get stuck in his room. Not that it stinks - because frankly I don't notice an odor at all. Of course it isn't the most attractive decor sitting in the hall but then no one (guests) are up there anyway.

cvharris
10-27-2004, 10:59 PM
We used to have a pail in the bathroom for the longest time. However, the smell was getting to us and I hated walking in there from DS's room all the time just to deposit a wet diaper. So, we got rid of the pail altogether. We recently invested in a couple of pail liners from Happy Tushies, which we use on their own. We keep them in DS's room near the changing table and they work great and look so cute - they match the nursery. :) They keep the smell so much more contained than my bummis drawstring bag used to, since they are zippered. I can't smell a thing unless I open the zipper. I also have a few of their large wetbags and I keep one in the bathroom for poopy dipes that need the minishower, and use the others for downstairs changes and in my diaper bag. They all have hang tabs so they can hang on a door knob or on a hook. LOVE them!

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

mudder17
10-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Well, we have two diaper dekors and they sit right next to the toilet. Her changing pad is also right next to (in front of) the toilet. We used to change her on the changing table in the bathroom until she rolled off of it. It turns out that on the floor next to the toilet is more convenient anyway because it's easy to spray and plop into the pails. If I think about it I'll spray her wet diapers, but I'll always spray her poopy diapers.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 8 months and counting

daisymommy
10-27-2004, 11:54 PM
We use a flip-top Sterlite type trash can for a pail and it sits right next to the changing table in Joshua's bedroom. Yes, when the pail is overflowing (after 3 days) the room doesn't smell too fresh. not really bad like urine, just kind of musty. So, I take out the pail, open the windows, and air the room. Then I vow not to wait so long next time to do the wash! :D

tarahsolazy
10-28-2004, 12:09 AM
I never noticed a smell when it was in the bathroom, so I don't see why we would now. Men get these crazy ideas! We have a faux Sterlite can (Target Logic brand), and a bummi's bag. It seems to have plenty of room for air to circulate, its not sealed or anything.

DebbieJ
10-28-2004, 12:43 AM
We have the Sterilite pail with a WalMart camping bag and it's in B's room by all the changing stuff. The smell is only bad when you open the pail, otherwise I don't notice it.

Now that he has those wonderful solids poops and I have a minishower in the bathroom, I might just get another pail for in there.

~ deb
Mommy to my sweet boy
B born 12/03
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10023.jpg http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

amyff
10-28-2004, 01:31 AM
We just moved and so I had to move diaper central around, too. I just bought a cute little step-down/flip top stainless steel round-garbage can that has a removable pail (the can is not very big...but they came in 3 sizes) and we keep it in the laundry room. I got it from Wal-mart. The first couple days I kept a wet bag in it but I got lazy and now I just throw the diapers in! It only holds two days of diapers but I guess that is ok because it encourages me to do laundry more often. Every time I empty it I swish the removable pail with Simple Green and water! It really has kept the stink down (though when you lift the lid...wow...I think toddlers have the stinkiest pee!)

mommyj_2
10-28-2004, 01:55 AM
Since we moved, DS' diaper pail has been under my vanity in the master bathroom, since I don't have a vanity stool and it fits perfectly under there. The advantages are that it's convenient to have the pail nearby when I change DS. The disadvantage is he likes to put random objects in the pail, because it's right there and he can.

lizajane
10-28-2004, 11:08 AM
well, good question, because we are about to have QUITE the situation at our house...

now, the changing table and pail are in his room. we use baking soda and citrus circles to control the ammonia smell (rinsing the hemp with the mini shower really helps!) and mostly, i am just used to a little bit of smell. it isn't terrible. the bathroom is WAAAAAAAY too small for a pail. there is hardly room for a wastebasket!

so here is the issue at hand (in 3 months.) if schuyler and baby are sharing a room, where does the changing table/pail go? if schuyler is asleep/napping, where do we change the baby and leave his dipes? if the baby is sleeping and schuyler has not potty trained, where do we change him and leave his dipes? not to mention... there really isn't enough space in the room for a twin bed, a crib, a changing table/pail, a bookcase, a dresser and a glider. (oh the glider... where will IT go for rocking at 4am while schuyler sleeps...)

so i am seriously considering putting the table at the top of the stairs in the hallway, just outside the bathroom door. (but to the side of the top of the stairs, to make it less dangerous! baby on the top of a table on the top of the stairs sounds too scary!)

we will have a changing station set up downstairs for when you change then newborn every 5 minutes... but the PNP changing pad only goes up to 16 pounds. which schuyler hit around 12 weeks old. so not a long term solution.

speak14
10-28-2004, 06:29 PM
We have ours in the laundry room. I change her on the washer and the pail is in front of/under the laundry sink. I can close the door if it smells, and it's right there to dump in the machine to wash. I only use fb's at night and for that first morning change (if I even do it upstairs) and take them down with me when I come down for the day. I also have a retractable clothesline in there that I dry my covers on and hang any PUL to dry as well.

calebsmama03
10-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Ours is in the laundry room - never an issue to walk down the hall to deposit the dipes. Occasionally a wet dipe will get forgotten on the table (in DS room) but not often.

Though now I'm starting to reconsider just getting a wet bag instead....
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Oh my!! #2 5/05

tarahsolazy
10-28-2004, 06:46 PM
I think the hallway is an excellent solution, as long as there is room to walk around it.