PDA

View Full Version : Recommended disposable diapers for NB boys?

GreekGddss
11-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Does any one brand "work" better than another? We bought a package of Huggies NB size, but doesn anyone think Pampers or another brand would be better? Also, do any come with the cutout for the umbilical cord, or did you all end up folding down the front of the diaper...

Thanks!

K

***Expecting baby BOY in December***

lizajane
11-08-2004, 02:07 PM
it really depends on your baby. i would buy a pack of pampers so that you can compare. if they both work, maybe try some less expensive brands like luvs or store brands.

just remember to point his penis down so that pee doesn't shoot up his shirt!

oh- and i believe huggies and pampers newborns both have the cut out.
if he is big, you might have to go straight to size 1 and fold down.

Momof3Labs
11-08-2004, 03:32 PM
It has a lot more to do with the shape of your baby than the gender - all diapers have absorbency all over nowadays.

Colin was 8lbs, 4oz and we skipped newborn dipes (he was too long for them) and went straight to size 1. So I'd suggest getting one small package each of Huggies and Pampers newborn, and one package of Huggies and Pampers size 1, and go with whatever fits your baby best once he's here. Since size 1's don't have the umbilical notch, we just folded them down at the top (no biggie).

iriebride
11-10-2004, 07:20 PM
Before DS was born, we bought a small pack of Pampers and Huggies. The hospital used Huggies so we had a handful of them. We also had tons of samples in the mail, which we tried first before opening any packages.

It's true it depends on the baby's weight. My DS was only 5 lbs 9 oz. We hated the Pampers NB. It kept slipping off his butt and he kept leaking out of it. We switched to Huggies NB and it worked perfectly. However, when he needed a size 1, Pampers Swaddlers worked better than Huggies. We've tried other store brand diapers but they didn't work as well as Swaddlers. Now that DS is 16 mos old, he's still in Pampers (Cruisers).

I agree...make sure you point his "manhood" down and fold the top of the diaper in.

Good luck,
Joyce
Zerick 7-3-03

RwnMayfair
11-10-2004, 10:22 PM
We used Pampers with the cutout, which were very nice, and some Huggies from the hospital. The Huggies did not have a cut-out, so they had to be folded down. Of course, it's possible they carry some in stores that do - the package should say. The Huggies were very stiff in my, my mother's, and my husband's opinions. Basically, they worked best if you crunched up and wiggled the diaper a bit before putting it on. I much preferred the Pampers. Taran was only in the newborn diapers for about a week or so though before we just moved onto the size ones since he was 8lbs 19oz and 22 inches at birth and big enough for them then.

Sizing really all depends on the baby. For instance, in the size ones Taran did very well in Pampers, okay in Huggies, but there were some my mother had bought him at Albertson's that leaked every single time one was put on him. (We didn't finish using that package.) So what works best for your baby may be totally different than what works best for others. :) I also wouldn't buy too many packages of newborn-sized diapers, since you can always go out and get more if your baby will be small enough for them for awhile, or just switch to size ones fairly soon after.

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://lilypie.com/baby1/041120/0/15/0/-5/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif - Eleven months and counting!