PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotics and rash.... what to do?

Java
12-03-2004, 12:33 AM
Kael's been on antibiotics for his sinus infection this past week that's giving him extreme diarrhea that's causing a mild rash. We've never had a rash before so I don't know what to do and I want to prevent it from turning into a big one.

He wears 'sposies and I wash his tush with water (soap/water for #2) with every diaper change. He's changed every 4 hours or so, even if the diaper feels light, and within 5 minutes if it's a poopy one. I also powder him and apply a light coat of Aquaphor. He's gets a tsp of Baby-Jarro every day.

Is there anything I'm missing? Should I start using a diaper ointment? I did a board search and it sounds like he may have a yeast infection: red splotches, slightly raised. It's not bad at all - I have to get up close and personal to see it. But I would like to prevent it from getting worse.

Any tips would be appreciated - TIA!

rottiemom
12-03-2004, 09:43 AM
I've had the occasional bout with a rash on my little guy's butt & have had great success with Triple Paste (reccomended by my ped & lauded on these boards). A couple of things that have worked. When possible I squirt or splash water to clean him up during diaper changes because I was afraid that a washcloth might irritate him more. And (this is a big one) make sure that little tush is absolutely dry before applying any kind of barrier ointment like aquaphor or trple paste. Since these ointments work as a barrier between the skin & wetness applying them to damp skin will help to keep the wetness that's already present on the skin in place.

FWIW I've found both A&D & Aquaphor to be great everyday ointments but useless once a rash has actually occurred. Triple Paste will usually clear up a rash on my little guy overnight.

You can find it at CVS but I;ve also found it in my local pharmacy & have heard that some have found it at Sam's club. It's pricey but it definitely does the job. Don't skimp, frost those little buns like you're frosting a cupcake!

And good luck! Hope this all passes soon.

Nina

steph2003
12-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Triple Paste seems to work for a lot of mamas here. What worked for us (same thing antibiotics = horrible rash) was Burt's Bee diaper creme. Pricey but it worked.

kitmama
12-03-2004, 11:50 PM
I agree that making sure that skin is perfectly DRY before putting on the creme and fresh diaper is very important. I have also had excellent results with both Triple Paste (that stuff is magic) and Burt's Bees.

lisams
12-04-2004, 12:35 AM
I recently posted a very similar question and here's what finally ended up working for us, thanks to the wonderful mommies here (I think it might have been a yeast, not 100% sure though). We used Lotrimin until we got the Nystatin perscription as the first layer, and then coated her bottom with Triple Paste over that. It took about 3 days to clear up. We also did 3 warm soaks a day and used my peri bottle to spray her clean instead of using any wipes at all (wiping caused her sever pain, ven just patting).

I think you are very wise to start protecting the area now before it becomes a very painful rash. I hope he starts feeling better very soon!

Lisa

squimp
12-04-2004, 05:01 AM
If I remember correctly, antibiotics can cause yeast rashes to really flare up because they knock back the bacteria, so the yeast (a fungi) takes over the party, so to speak. OK, this is what I remember from my own vaginal yeast infections (TMI), but the same biology should apply, right?

So an antifungal cream might be a good idea, like something with Clotrimazole (recommended by the askdrsears website and Sears Baby book). The book says to alternate a barrier cream (w/Zinc oxide) with the anti-fungal and hydrocortisone (don't use hydrocortisone for more than a few days in a row).

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081400.asp

Our ped gave us a script that worked wonders with a yeast rash, so you might ask about that.