PDA

View Full Version : OT - cloth nursing (bra) pads?

jillc
12-29-2004, 12:02 AM
All the mama cloth talk has me thinking about cloth nursing pads now, too. I tried some cloth nursing pads in the beginning, but leaked through them very quickly & they also fell apart in the wash very quickly. Don't remember the brand. Bought in local baby store.

I still use (disposable) nursing pads night & day, and would love to switch to cloth.

Are there any out there that are fleece pockets w/hemp inserts? I'm thinking that something like that might be good at night. Bulky, but who cares since I'm just in bed?

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Thanks!
Jill

lizajane
12-29-2004, 09:48 AM
shandelle (todzwife) makes nursing pads! shoot her an email.

i used lanisoh brand and they held up and worked fine for me. however, i didn't leak for very long and was unable to use pads at all when i was leaking a lot in the very beginning (due to cracked, bleeding horrors...)

megulis
12-29-2004, 04:07 PM
In the beginning, I leaked all the time with cloth so stayed with disposable. I used lasinoh disposable pads and traced it and used three flannel layers. I used two of them on my right side, and one on the left breast. As long as I don't leak bad, it is fine. I used the lasinoh cloth nursing pads for a bit, and it is small so it moves around a lot. What I would do differently is just make the pads square. More coverage and easier to sew... The nursing pads or my breasts move around a lot!

brigmaman
12-29-2004, 04:46 PM
I have a pair of velour/hemp pads made by Shandelle. I leak quite a bit and they've been great! I have been washing them every day so I'll have them at night. Guess I should see about getting more. ;)

alaible
12-29-2004, 07:44 PM
Making your own is a good idea. I never thought of that. I have lots of cloth baby wipes that I never use maybe I will put them to good use and make some nursing pads before baby #2 arrives.

jillc
12-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Oooh, those sound nice! Does Shandelle have a website?

Thanks,
J

brigmaman
12-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Yes, it's here:
www.funnyfarmcreations.fourlittleducks.com

pritchettzoo
12-29-2004, 10:05 PM
She's on vacation for the holidays--I remember reading that she would be away from the computer for 2 weeks, but I don't remember when I read that. I just didn't want you to think she was ignoring you if she didn't respond quickly. :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

jillc
12-29-2004, 10:33 PM
Hi, Anna. Thanks! :)

caheinz
12-29-2004, 11:40 PM
I'm still leaking occasionally at nine months... and I've been using cloth since I found a system that worked for me!

I use both milk diapers (I think they're the same as Lanisoh's, but the ones I got elsewhere that are actually Milk Diapers brand are a little larger diameter) and Bravados. The MDs aren't bad, they are comfy, but they aren't as absorbant as the Bravados. So, I use MDs on the less leaky side, and Bravados on the more leaky side!

Both have held up in the wash just fine (I have 6-8 of each, and usually only use 1 pr per day) -- I use a "lingerie" bag, and the MDs do scrunch up, but they flatten just fine. The Bravados are thicker and have a terry cloth lining.

I would love to try Shandelle's, but I don't want to change what's working! (Besides, I'm hopefully closer to not needing them anymore than needing more!)

lizajane
12-30-2004, 11:12 AM
wow! 9 months! i think i stopped leaking by 9 weeks... of course, the pain was horrific. so i did deserve some kind of break!

megulis
12-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Fleece sounds like a good idea for a backing, so maybe the cloth doesn't move around as much and also so that it keeps your bra dry if you do leak. I think that is what fleece does.

calebsmama03
12-30-2004, 04:03 PM
What about wool backed ones? Sorry I can't remember exactly where I saw them, but seems that would help with the leaking through issue?
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
Oh my!! #2 5/05