PDA

View Full Version : egads! i am running out of time to make newborn dipes!

lizajane
12-30-2004, 11:14 AM
i went for my 36 week appt today (but they are wrong... it should be 37 weeks) and i was 1 cm and 50%!!

i better get on the stick.

how much do you cut off an infant prefold to make a newborn prefitted? considering that my first child weighed 9.5 lbs and was 22 inches tall... so maybe let's call it a small prefitted instead of a newborn. maybe 2 inches? i want it to fit into small proraps.

pritchettzoo
12-30-2004, 12:09 PM
GET SEWING, WOMAN! :)

According to the stats at naturalbabies.com, the length of an infant prefold is 15 inches washed. I think I turned it down about 2 inches for my 10 pound monkey. With a prefitted, it will shrink up a little with the elastic around the legs though, right? I'd cut off an inch and do one and see how it fits in the small. I'd rather have it a little bunchy than plumber-style, especially when the poop starts flying. :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

mudder17
12-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Yikes! As Anna says, better get sewing Mama! I actually started with preemies, but I only had a 7 pound baby, 20 inches tall. Based on the difference between the preemie and the infant, and given that the infants will "shrink" when you add the leg elastic, I would suggest no more than an inch off of an IPF and no more than 1.5 inches off of a CPF. I didn't make prefitted, but my infants did fit into small proraps for a short while. Eventually I had to move into medium bummis/literaps. But based on the sizing of the covers, I think she fit into a medium bummis first, and then medium literaps and proraps. In any case, if you cut down 1.5 inches, I think you shouldn't have much trouble getting them into small proraps.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 9 months and counting