PDA

View Full Version : Poopy cloth diapers...I'm befuddled!

Judegirl
01-09-2005, 01:41 AM
Question for those of you who do not use a wet pail, do not change your baby in the bathroom, and have babies on solids...how do you handle poopy diapers? I mean, what do you physically DO, from the moment you remove the diaper to the time it gets washed?

If you use a mini-shower...what do you do? Do you leave the diaper sitting somewhere while you take the baby down and put him/her somewhere else, then return, get the diaper, and head for the bathroom? (And if so, what's the baby doing all this time?) Or do you shower it off later, before you put it in the wash?

If you don't use a mini-shower, how do you deal with FULL diapers, in the moment, and on wash day?

And if there's anyone out there in this boat who does not use her (his?) own machine, I'm especially interested in how you handle this!

Thanks,
Jude

toomanystrollers
01-09-2005, 06:35 AM
Lets see:

1. I wrestle Neve to the ground :) and I come armed with a couple of wet cloth wipes and sometimes toilet paper.

2. I remove the offending diaper and put on the floor - far enough away so Neve doesn't kick her feet into it!

3. Wipe her clean and then let her run around diaper free for a minute or two. Our house is pretty babyproof so I'm not worried about her being unattended. Then I go chuck the dipe into the toilet.

4. Wrestle Neve again with clean combo.

5. Go back to bathroom and spray off dipe & off into my zippered diaperpail bag.

Voila!

Judegirl
01-09-2005, 07:48 AM
Pam,

You actually throw the diaper INTO the toilet?? And then fish it out to spray it off?

Thanks,
Jude

toomanystrollers
01-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Yup - I chuck the diaper into the toilet - but our toilet is a low-flow toilet - so the water level is pretty low until you flush. And then I just blast it with the minishower.

lizajane
01-09-2005, 09:21 AM
i use a mini shower. if i can't spray it right away, i also leave it sitting in the toilet. if that is horrifying to you, you could just wear dishwashing rubber gloves when you go back to rinse it. usually, i just take it off of him, set it on top of the pail, clean him up, put a new dipe on him, put him back down on the floor, mini-shower the dipe, wring it out, toss it in the pail, wash hands and go back to playing. but he is 21 months old, so it isn't like i have to hold him/follow him every single second like i might a younger babe.

egoldber
01-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Here's what I did.

I changed DD and left the dirty diaper sitting either on the floor or on top of the diaper pail.

After I was done putting the new diaper on her, I set her down to play, then carried the diaper to the bathroom.

I always used fleece liners, so I dumped the contents (mainly just the liner) in the toilet. If the liner was particularly icky, I swished it in the toilet. I never swished the actual diaper, even if there was some "residue" on the diaper. It all came off in the wash.

ETA: I do not have a minishower and never missed it.

HTH,

bcky2
01-09-2005, 10:41 AM
i take off the poopy diaper and se it out of the way. i then finish putting a clean one on and leave him in the crib for a minute. i am lucky, my little one has very solid poop so i just let the poop fall off and then i put it in my diaper laundry bag and wait for wash day and wash like normal-and no stains! as for smell-a rag with tea tree oil. hope this helped!

ribbit1019
01-09-2005, 12:12 PM
Pam,
Where did you get a zippered diaper pail bag?
I need to get a shower too.
Anyone have any recommendations?
Christy
Maddy's mom

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050609/2/13/0/-5/.png[/img][/url]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/superpower.gif http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif

KrisM
01-09-2005, 12:36 PM
I don't have a mini-shower, but use flushable liners.

I take the poopy diaper off and fold the liner over the poop. I set the liner bundle out of the way. I put the diaper and wipes into the pail and put the liner on top of the pail. I then put the clean dipe on, get him dressed, and set him either on the floor or in his crib. I dump the liner in the toilet and wash my hands.

I wash my hands after all diaper changes, so I have always put DS in the crib or on the floor after changing a diaper, regardless of how messy it was.

I am really liking the liners. They are washable, so just wet ones get used 3 or 4 times, I think. When we had a poopy diaper at the mall, I could flush away the mess instead of bringing it home with us to rinse it off, or trying to rinse it at the mall.

I do keep meaning to get a small plastic pail or bowl to have by the changing table to put the liner in so that I don't have to move it around. Also, I wouldn't have to worry about any spillage on the way to the bathroom.

Judegirl
01-09-2005, 01:04 PM
This is all very helpful, thanks!

What about pockets? Would you remove the inserts and put just the pocket in the toilet, or put the whole thing in the toilet, or put the inserts inthe pail and the pocket in the toilet?

Dd's poops are a holy MESS these days - there's no handling any of it without pretty much getting covered in it. Is this just a stage?

Thanks again,
Jude

SeekerMage
01-09-2005, 02:18 PM
We use pockets here. For the most part we pull out the inserts and stick them in the pail then dunk the pockets. If the insert seems poopy too (stains on it) I will dunk it too but normally dont and if I do I do it separately from the pocket. With the inserts still in the pocket it tends to absorb more water and not swish as easy.

So in short...pull out the insert, stick it in the pail, dunk the diaper in the toilet and flush while swishing the diaper on the sides of the toilet getting most of the poop off. Then for good measure flush again (our diapers mostly come clean this way) for a rinse in cleaner water. Wring out the diaper and stick in the diaper bag. Ta DA! We do wash about every 2-3 days and never have a problem with the occasional wet diaper. Tea Tree oil or Lavendar oil will help with the smell and moldyness factor. HTH.

Oh and as for the poopy mess, it could be a phase...we go through yucky diapers to solid ones all the time depending upon what she eats.

mudder17
01-09-2005, 09:10 PM
We use both pockets and prefolds. For prefolds, I usually just sit the diaper in the cover on top of the pail until I finish cleaning up DD, put on a new dipe and put her in another room to play. Then I come back, spray off the dipe and put it in the pail. Same with pockets, actually. The only difference is that with pockets, I'll usually plop most of it into the toilet and remove the insert, then spray, or if it's a huge mess, I'll hold the pocket upside down and spray it off, then pick out the insert, fold it in and stuff the whole thing in the pail. Sometimes, I'll spray the insert if it looks stained, or if it's hemp. And while it sounds kind of gross, I don't wear gloves, and it's not that bad. I will say it was worse in FL when I didn't have the sprayer with me. For the cleaner poops, no problem, but for those messy things you're talking about? Yeah, I need the sprayer.

And the poopy messes vs the nicely formed one will depend on what DDs eaten in the past few days.... I would guess you'll get mixtures and not consistently formed stuff until your DD's completely on solids (not all pureed foods), but that's only my guess, since DD is currently on a mixture of pureed and solid foods.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 10 months and counting

shibababy
01-09-2005, 09:44 PM
I do all changes on my bed. I make sure I have a clean diaper and some wipes (sometimes cloth, sometimes disposable, sometimes a combo).

For fuzzi bunz-I take off used diaper fold it closed (don't snap) set in on my nightstand, on top of the wipes case or on the lid of my trash can. I wipe while the diaper is still under the baby and sort of roll her to the side to get to her backside. I sometimes keep a little bucket from the 99cent store next to my bed and that way I can just drop the used fb and wipes in there.

I put on the new diaper and then leave baby-she's fully mobile. I then take dipe or bucket into the bathroom. If wet, pull out insert and drop both into pail. If poopy, turn fb sideways and plop poop into the toilet, if too messy I spray it off (still sideways or pocket side up) with minishower. I NEVER put fb into the toilet YUCKY to me. I either fold wet fb up and carry to the pail (also in bathroom) or bring pail to the toilet. I take out the insert after I spray it off.

If i'm using a fitted with wool I do the same thing with the fitted but turn the wool inside out and set on nightstand or top of trash can to air out and then slip on the new cover. I can't let my baby go even a minute without a dipe, she will try to wet my bed. sometimes i let her go without a cover, but very rarely.

papal
01-09-2005, 10:22 PM
1. Wet wipes with warm water in the sink. Squeeze out excess water
2. Put baby on changing table. Make sure there is a prefold under her.
3. Remove offending diaper. Wipe bum with warm wipes.
4. Fold prefold with dirty dipes and wipes and move to edge of changing table.
5. Pick up baby by holding under armpits. Take baby to sink with clean prefold in hand.
6. Thoroughly rinse bums with warm water and soap.
7. Pat dry bum with clean prefold.
8. Let baby loose with no diaper on.
9. Shut myself into bathroom with offending diaper on prefold.
10. Drag diaper pail near toilet.
11. If ploppy poop, let out a cheer. Plop and put in diaper pail. If messy poop, spray down with mini-esqe shower. Do a nice stretch after this because my back kills me to bend like that.
11. 409 the toilet area and wipe with paper towels.
12. Wash hands thoroughly. Emerge triumphantly from bathroom.
13. Soak up the pee that Leela has just made with the clean prefold that I used to pat dry her bums.
14. Remove onesie because the pee has made it wet.
15. Let baby roam free while I take a 5 minute nap.
16. Put speedo prefold on baby and wait 5 more minutes for next pee before putting a real diaper on.

ETA: Here is a link to Dunking Methodology. My first experience with solid food poops.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=14944&mesg_id=14944&listing_type=search

pritchettzoo
01-09-2005, 10:38 PM
ROTFLMAO!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)