PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone dyed prefolds?

brigmaman
01-10-2005, 09:17 AM
It's cold and the kiddos are sick, so of course I need a diversion. ;)
I know Anna mentioned attempting to do this- has anyone done it successfully?

tarahsolazy
01-10-2005, 10:19 AM
yes, its fun and easy! You need procion dyes, which you can get at Dharma trading dot com, or you can buy a tie dye kit at michael's or hobby lobby. I think walmart also has them. you soak the pfs in a soda ash solution, wring them out, and dye. i made little dye baths with dispoable gladware 9x11 pans. sorry about typos, i'm pak..

pritchettzoo
01-10-2005, 10:37 AM
I have, but I don't know if it has been successful or not. I have followed two different instructions and both results still bleed. I definitely wouldn't do red as a newbie. I've done red and blue, and both were pretty, but they still bleed dye and I'm scared to wash them with my other diapers.

There is some pretty good advice in the sewing and crafts forum at MDC.

Oh, I used procion dyes and etcetera from Earth Guild, but Dharma supposedly has excellent customer service.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

lizajane
01-10-2005, 12:38 PM
yes!

i used a tie dye kit from michaels. i soaked in the soda ash, then soaked in the dye (make sure you swirl, etc. so that you can a solid color... or if you want the diapers kinda swirly, you can get that effect, too, but not swirling). then i wrapped them in plastic wrap and left them overnight. then i rinsed and rinsed in the bathtub and washed in the washer. i separated the light colors from the dark colors. (i didn't wash purple and yellow together that first time!) i do not really have any bleeding problems BUT if i left a super wet diaper in the pail on top of a white or light diaper, i did get a little bleeding on occasion. nothing that really bothered me, but if it would bother you, i would do a number of washes before you use them!

i will run up and take a pic of my dipes and post it.

brigmaman
01-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks! I'd like to see pics. What type of dye kit did you get at michaels?

lizajane
01-11-2005, 07:32 PM
sorry it took me so long to get the pic up...

the kit literally said "tie dye kit" on it. and had pictures of tie dyed tee shirts. i just got the one with the most colors!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19523.jpg

brigmaman
01-12-2005, 11:00 AM
OOhhh! Pretty!