PDA

View Full Version : What is the trimmest fitting pocket dipe?

daisy82
02-04-2005, 12:56 AM
I'm considering FuzziBunz, Snap-EZ, and Happy Heinys. Will probably get at least a few Happy Heinys no matter what, because DH prefers aplix over snaps. The pocket dipes are mainly for him to use when I work 1-2 days/week.

Also, I'm considering getting a couple Very Baby AIO's (birdseye, not hemp) because I love the trimness. How do they compare in absorbancy to pockets. Like, are they comparable to a pocket with 1 mf towel, 2 mf towels, hemp insert, etc.

squimp
02-04-2005, 02:58 AM
I think FBs and SnapEz are pretty similar in terms of trimness. They fit a little differently. I find the SnapEZ sit higher on DD's waist.

But it's really the inserts that drive the trimness. The most trim option we've tried is hemp jersey, like a Joey Bunz, in a FB or Snap-EZ. Then hemp fleece, then the microfiber inserts (MOE then Cottonbabies), then something like a prefold. Also, the number of layers in the hemp can vary - ~4 layers like a Joey Bunz or 8 layers like a nighttime LizaJane insert (4 layer inserts folded to make 8 layers). Even though they are less trim, I like the microfiber inserts the best 'cause they're the squishiest/softest and I find they are more absorbent. And some folks don't like hemp because it can accumulate stink! - seems especially if you have hard water.

Bonus, if you have an average-sized baby, the medium FBs will fit for many months. My DD is in the 90+% and wore this size from 4 to 16 months!

mudder17
02-04-2005, 08:06 AM
I agree with Jana that the trimness depends on the insert more than the pocket. Still, because of the velcro strip, I think FB's and SEZ's are more trim than HH's. But not so that it would be noticeable, because the inserts make a much bigger difference. Also because of the softness of the solids vs. the print, I would say the solids would end up being more trim (and less wicking!). For DD, the medium FBs were too small by 8 months because the total rise was not enough. The SEZ's fit differently--they are low rise in the front, but high in the back (to prevent pooplosions). They fit DD much better. For some babies, FBs fit better and for others SEZ seem to fit better. I would probably get one of each (FB, SEZ, and HH) and see how they fit your baby.

ETA: I think FBs run on the large side and SEZ's run on the smaller side. DD was wearing medium FBs and large SEZ's at the same time for a period of time. She eventually outgrew the medium FBs but couldn't fit the large FBs (didn't think to try the PTs at the time). She still fits the large SEZs and I recently discovered she can fit the PTs. I've never tried the HHs so no help on that front. FWIW, DD was able to wear medium and large SEZ for a short period of time, so there's definitely some overlap in the size. Bcky, I'm thinking that if you ever want to branch out, you'd probably need a large SEZ for your son. DD was wearing large SEZ by 7.5 months!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

bcky2
02-04-2005, 09:11 AM
i use pocket diapers only because they are what works for me. i have alot of fb's and my ds is 9 months and on the smallest snaps so i know that they will fit for a while. as for snap-ez i have one and it doesnt fit ds at all. it is a med like my fb's are but are too low cut for my ds and is already on last snaps so i will be selling this on the diaper swap soon :( i really loved the print on it. i am waiting to get my hh's in the mail to try and i am also waiting to get a pocket from greenacres
(she has really cute ones if you have the time to wait for one) i do agree on the trimness being determined by what you stuff with. i do a hemparoo with a microfiber towl combo and it isnt real bulky and works really well for me. i do get a better slimness from my fb's than my snap-ez but that is just me. also if you like use 2 microfiber towels that is also trim and absorbes alot, it will make it thru nap time like that. ok so i mostly rambled but i hope i said something worth while :P

pritchettzoo
02-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Well, I've tried FBs. They're reliable and trim.

As far as aplix pockets go, the only ones I've tried are Ella's. They're very trim and the WAHM who makes them is very sweet. She has cute patterns too. There are some clearanced out on her site http://www.ellasdiapers.com/ but otherwise there is a list of retailers (she decided to go wholesale) on her site too.

The absorbency will depend on what you stuff them with. Some PUL-backed prints are prone to leaking for some reason, so stay with solids or ask the WAHM if there have been problems with that print.

HTH!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)