PDA

View Full Version : What the Best CD for a Wiggly Skinny Tall baby?

kozachka
02-05-2005, 09:23 PM
I'd like to try CDs part time (during DS' sleep and outings) but after reading a ton of posts am utterly confused as to which diapers to order. What works best for skinny tall babies?

DS is just over 14 months and very active. At his last check-up at 12 months he measured 31.5" tall and weighted 20.5 lbs. He grew a bit since then but appears to be about the same weight. He hardly has any thights, 11". His waist (under belly) is 17.5"

I think he is a light-to-medium wetter. He does not pee during his naps, only right after he wakes up, but I still put a diaper on him, just in case. In the morning his spossie is only slightly wet. Most of the time I can get him to pee into Baby Bjorn potty chair when at home but we still have a few accidents. He asks to poop into potty most of the time so it's important for me to be able to get his diaper off quickly.

So what would be the best system for up? Prefolds with covers are supposed to be an economical choice but I am not convinced it's for us. DS is a major wiggler. Do you think pockets would be better? And if so which ones? I can't decide whether snaps or applix would work better with his body type and personality. Pockets might be easier for outings and potty-training. FBs are a favorite here but I want something less absorbent so that he can feel wet. That's actually one of the reasons I want to give CDing a try, Huggies are too absorbent :)

Elena

Daniel 11/27/03

mudder17
02-05-2005, 09:43 PM
It looks like you're already using FBs, so it looks like snaps aren't a problem for you. What about the cotton trainers from Snap-EZ? http://snap-ez.com/CottonTrainers.html They are not as absorbent as the AIO or pocket trainers and the soft velour lining allows the baby to feel the wetness a bit more, but it remains comfy.

I know there are other pull-up trainers, but I'll let the other mommies tell you about them, since my mommy brain can remember them at the moment. :P

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

kozachka
02-05-2005, 11:27 PM
Eileen,

We are not using FBs but they get so much praise on this board so that's what I considered before DS started doing so well with potty. Petit Toddler FB would have been perfect for him I think.

Thank you for suggesting SEZ trainers, they sound interesting but I am not sure whether they'll work with DS body shape. And whether I want to go the trainers route. From what I've read it is not a good idea to use trainers since they don't hold as much as a regular diaper plus as far as PT is concerned they are still a diaper KWIM. So for the day I decided to skip trainers and just let DS run bare-bottomed or in briefs whenever we are home. It will probably be awhile before he gets night potty-trained though so I was hoping to save few trees/bucks and use CDs.

Wish I discovered this board earlier, I thought my only option was diaper service or cheapo Gerber prefolds if I wanted to do CDs. And there was no way my DH would have agreed to that. LOL!

Elena

Daniel 11/27/03

mudder17
02-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Sounds good! Yes, PT FBs would have been perfect for your son, if you had wanted to go the diapers route. And to make them less absorbent, you could have just used less stuffing. But your idea of letting him run bare-bottomed or in briefs at home sounds like it'll work great for day PT.

I'd always wanted to CD, but had resigned myself to Dappies/AIOs or prefolds. I had never realized there were so many options out there until I discovered this board. I still use prefolds a lot, but I also have lots of other options when I want it. And it's been a lot of fun. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

Momof3Labs
02-06-2005, 10:47 AM
I have a tall, skinny toddler who is toying with PT, and really like Baby Blanket pocket dipes for these times. You can get velcro (be sure to request crossover tabs) which is quick on and off. And they fit tall skinny kiddos quite well (Colin is now 39" and 31lbs. The only problem is that pockets are usually lined with suedecloth or fleece, which keep baby's skin from feeling wet. The absorbency isn't what makes dipes feel more or less wet - FBs can be very unabsorbent if lightly stuffed - it is the material against baby's skin that matters.

Happy Hempy pockets require a cover, but feel wet on baby's skin and if are not stuffed, they aren't very absorbent. They close with velcro. Maybe a velcro cover over one of these for outings and sleeptime, and you could go coverless at home?

kozachka
02-07-2005, 01:23 AM
Lori,

Thank you for suggesting Happy Hempy's. Didn't even know that there are pocket-style fitted diapers :) Hempy's sounds perfect for my purposes.

I like that it does not have the stay-dry fleece inside so DS would feel wet when he pees. It's also great to be able to customize the absorbency with the various stuffings depending on how we use it. Unfortunately, it all comes at a price. $12 plus tax plus shipping :(. And you still need a cover. OUCH.

What cover do you use with your Hempys? I was thinking of getting a Bummis SWW in Large but get an impression that most people use it with a wool cover for 'breathability'. Would it work with a PUL cover and if not where can I get a decent cheap wool one?

Last but not least, what should I use to stuff them with? It says that light wetters can use just the Hempy but I am thinking of adding a microfiber towel for the night.

Elena

Daniel 11/27/03