PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite fitted for overnight?

Saartje
02-07-2005, 01:27 PM
We've been using pockets for overnight since Ishie grew into the medium FBs (around 2.5 months), but as he sleeps longer, they're leaking -- they can't stand up to the volume.

So, I'm thinking of switching to fitteds + an Aristocrat. Think that will work? Aristocrats have a reputation for being leakproof. Do I need more than one, since they also have a reputation for taking a long time to dry?

So tell me, what's your favourite overnight fitted? What kind of doubler do you use with it?

mudder17
02-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Okay, I may sound like a broken record, but the Benjamuffin Nightdreamers with aplix, snap-in soaker + doubler really do the job for Kaya at night. The other nice thing about the Benjamuffins are their price--quite reasonable. So far, no problems with the Aristocrat even wicking. I only have one, and while that occasionally means I need the fleece cover I have as back-up, I find that if I wash the Aristocrat first thing in the morning and then squeeze out most of the water by rolling in a towel, and then hang to dry with a fan blowing on it, it's dry by evening.

You could also throw the Aristocrat over the FBs, but I would imagine that the Aristocrat would wick if the diaper were really sopping.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

tarahsolazy
02-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Well, Forrest is not a huge supersoaker, he can make it without leaks in a medium FB with a nighttime LJ+microfiber towel. Its not even always sopping in the morning. He sleeps 12-13hrs at night, so he's in the dipe for that long.

For fitteds, we have successfully used:

Benjamuffins Nighttdreamers (I have one to sell, if you are interested, its camoflauge)

Firefly Sleeptights, hemp, with the Benjamuffins doubler (which is microfleece and sherpa) added. I added the doubler mostly for the fleece effect. We used this last night, and about half of the dipe was wet, the entire front, wicked out to the wings and everything, but his skin was dry.

Premium prefold with added hemp doubler(s)- I think this would still work if I used a toddler PF, and a Joeybunz.

For covers, I have found the Aristocrat to be fabulous. It has not leaked on us. Occaisonally it will feel slightly humid in the front in the morning, but it doesn't wick or anything. I think the humid thing could be solved easily by more lanolin. In my care, they take two days to dry, but I never wash it unless it smells like pee, which is about once every three weeks, when we are using it nightly. (Currently in a bit of a pocket night phase)

kitmama
02-08-2005, 12:06 AM
For nighttime diapers we have used: (all fitteds are used with a large aristocrat)

- Crickett's hemp fitteds, size medium
I bought these as seconds, and they are a tad lumpy. Also, the serging at the legs has a tendency to turn in, and they take a long time to dry. They may not be the prettiest diapers out there, but these are the nighttime diapers we have been using the longest, and they are still going strong. They continue to fit littleman well, and we have not had any leaks. (When he was super-soaking, I would add a fleece-topped doubler). It is not fleece-lined, and has snaps. They are reasonably priced.

- Organic Cotton Firefly Sleeptight, size medium
This remains my favorite nighttime solution. Despite being cotton instead of hemp, it is more absorbant than the Crickett's diapers, and the extra leg room has been great for littleman's chunkier thighs. (Though his legs are slimming down a bit, so this dipe gaps now. sigh.) Other than that, it is still fitting pretty well. We have not had any leaks. It still looks almost new, and we've been using it almost a year I think? It drys very fast, thanks to a great fold-out soaker design, and it is very well-made. It is not fleece-lined, and has snaps. It is also rather expensive.

- Baby Blanket pocket diaper, size medium, with a Little Lounging Lizards Nighty Newt soaker
Littleman has outgrown this combination, but it did work, leak-free, during his super-soaker phase. It was bulky, and I prefer not to use PUL at night. But it was reliable, and I could always reach for it if the other nighttime dipes were dirty. The LLL soaker is overkill for littleman now, but when he was nursing a lot at night, he needed it! It will hold a lot of pee. The dipe is suedecloth-lined, and now you can get aplix or snaps. Taken together, this combination is rather expensive I think, and the LLL stuff is hard to get.

- Little Lounging Lizards Nighty Newt prefold, size ? (I don't remember)
For a long time, I didn't really like this one much. It would definitely do the trick, but it was very lumpy and bulky on littleman. I think now that it was just too big- now, I like it more and more. It is very absorbant, and takes a snappi well. Now that it fits better, it is actually very trim compared to it's absorbancy. It has hemp fleece on the inside, but that's not the same as being fleece-lined for dryness. I don't remember how expensive it was, but I think compared to fitteds it was reasonable? The LLL stuff is hard to get, though.

Aha- just checked the site (littlelounginglizards.com) and they are re-opening in March. So, maybe it won't be so hard to get them after all!

- Premium PF with a fleece-topped hemp doubler
Has simply never worked for us. I have lower-quality PFs, so that may be why.

- Benjamuffin Nightdreamers, size large
Wow, these are big! (The mediums are a little more "normal"-sized). But they are also quite nice. They are super absorbant, very soft, come in cute prints, and are fleece-lined. You can get aplix or snap. The large aristocrat will stretch to fit over these, but I went ahead and bought an extra-large 'crat. It will be nice having 2 'crats, anyway. These are pretty reasonably priced.

I think that's everything we've tried. Most stuff has worked for us, I think partly due to the aristocrat cover- that thing is amazing! It really is easy-care, too. It does take awhile to dry, but in a pinch I can use a more absorbant diaper along with a good fleece or wool cover (I like our covers from Simon's Custom Cloth). Unless I mentioned otherwise, I just use the doubler that came with the diaper.

Occasionally for whatever reason, I have put littleman to bed in "daytime" fitteds. Back in his supersoaker days, that definitely meant a middle-of-the-night diaper change was coming. These days, I get mixed results, depending on the diaper, cover and how much littleman drank that day. But the nighttime solutions that have worked for us are very reliable.

new_mommy25
02-08-2005, 01:56 AM
Either a Benjamuffins Nightdreamer or any hemp fitted with a Joey Bunz and a fleece topped doubler stuck inside. Covered with a Sugarpeas fleece or an Aristocrat.