PDA

View Full Version : Wonderoo cloth diapers

And19rea
02-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Is anyone familiar with Wonderoo cloth diapers? I'm hesitant about using cloth diapers, and I had a friend recommend them to me. It's one size fits all--the legs and waist are adjustable. I just need more feedback on them before I commit to it. Any advice on cloth diapering at all would be helpful. Thanks!

mudder17
02-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Okay, Wonderoos seem to get mixed reviews around here. Most people either love them or hate them. I hated them--fortunately, I tried a sample diaper and after I decided I didn't like it, I was able to return it--the whole thing only cost me $5 + shipping, I believe.

The one-size diapers has never fit Kaya very well. I'm not sure if it's her chunky thighs or what, but they would gape at the legs (ironic, I know because she has chunky thighs) or they would be enormous around her stomach, and I got plenty of leaks with them. So after 2 tries, I gave up and returned the Wonderoos.

Have you tried reading the CD'ing 101 thread at the top of this board. There's a ton of options out there. If you're talking about a newborn, though, I would say you want to try keeping it simple. There are quite a few threads about CD'ing a newborn.

One of the things you need to ask yourself is why you want to cloth diaper. Do you want to save money? Is it just for the environment? Do you want easy and you don't mind putting out a little extra money (you'll still save money in the long run unless you get sucked into cute diaper addiction, LOL)?

Personally, I wouldn't recommend all-in-one or pocket diapers for a newborn. They tend to be more expensive and newborns grow so fast. They also tend to not contain BF'd poop very well, at least compared to fitted and a cover or prefolds and a cover.

However, if you are really set on all-in-ones because of the ease, my friends of twins have used Kushies AIOs very successfully. Their babies have been BF'd and formula fed since they were newborns, though, so their poop isn't quite as runny as exclusively BF'd poop. (sorry if this is TMI) In any case, they really like the Kushies because they're relatively inexpensive, and with changing 2 babies, they don't have to worry about throwing on an additional cover. And the Kushies have apparently held up to many washes.

My favorite stash for newborns are kissaluv 0s fitted (I get the seconds from the outlet), preemie or infant prefolds with snappi fasteners, and quite possibly prefitted (converting the prefolds into semi-fitted diapers that you snappi). Then prorap (or some other similar) covers.

Okay, now if you're not talking about newborns, then you have a ton of other options. In this case, I would definitely recommend reading the diaper 101 and then posting more specific questions. Actually, I would recommend doing that anyway. :)

Good luck! And we hope to welcome you to the wonderful world of cloth diapering! :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

writermama
02-09-2005, 09:10 PM
I reviewed Wonderoos and a number of other pocket diapers in this thread:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=24555#24915

I started with a 16 month old on the largest settings so the adjustability of the Wonderoos wasn't a plus for me. Of all the diapers I tried, it was the one I liked the least and I ended up giving it away.

Now, that doesn't mean you'd hate it, too, but consider trying one before investing in a stash of them.

For general cloth diapering advice, the 101 post at the top of this page is a great place to start.

There are also a few good cloth diapering FAQs on other sites:

Diaperpin.com http://diaperpin.com/howto.asp (site also has reviews of lots of diapers)

Punkin Butt http://www.punkinbutt.com/cloth_diaper_faq.asp (site also sells diapers, though I've never bought from them.)

Good luck!

-Karen

ztagrl
02-11-2005, 02:12 PM
I didn't like the Wonderoos for the one-size-fits-all-ness. They were very bulky on my newborn. I didn't really try any other brands, though, so this may be the case for all of them. But I thought it was particularly bad with the Wonderoos because they snap up to take up some of the rise, and then that fabric is really bulky under Baby's clothes.

Now that my son is bigger, I do like them. He has chunky thighs, though, so if you have a skinny-legged baby, you might go with the fuzzi bunz instead, because you can adjust the leg hole in addition to the waist.

They're already pretty tight on him, though, so I don't know about them going to 35 pounds (he's about 22 pounds now). Maybe he'll slim down once he starts crawling and walking.

kijip
02-12-2005, 03:47 PM
I LOVED them until Toby out grew them at about 30 pounds. We started them at 11 months and had to pack them away at 19 months.

After trying Fuzzi Bunz, I saw what I was missing while using Wonderoos. Try Fuzzi Bunz!

ETA: They get great reviews on diaper pin but are less popular on this board and DiaperSWAP. Frankly, they were more than servicable for Toby while he fit but I got a pretty short use out of them for what I paid. Hindsight being what it is, Fuzzi Bunz would have been a better choice for me given the size of Toby. However they seem to be a great choice for some babies and they do save the hassle of investing in multiple sizes.