PDA

View Full Version : Hemp and washing questions

psophia17
02-11-2005, 04:50 PM
ATM, I have 4 FBs and 4 4-layer hemp stuffers that I made myself, and quite frankly, I love them. For those of you with stink problems, I've noticed in the past four days that I can't even smell when DS is poopy or wet, it's amazing because in sposies he STANK within seconds. Anyhoo, on to my questions:

How many layers of hemp is good for daytime use, with changes every 2-3 hours, depending on naptime? I have seen it available with 2, 3, 4, and 8 layers, and I chose 4. It seems more than adequate for DS's daytime needs and is nice and trim, but it leads me to my next question...

The dryer is an old one and only has normal, perm press, and delicates for settings. It takes 2+ hours for the hemp soakers to dry. Is there any way I can improve on the drying time, or any other tricks for drying hemp?

I've been experimenting with washing, too - again, the washer is OLD, so there's only so much I can do. It's top-loading and what I've been doing is running a cold rinse with just a few drops of detergent, then running a hot wash, cold rinse with no detergent. Then I dry the FBs while running a spin cycle for the hemp, but unfortuantely sometimes the washer decides to add water to this step, so it's hit and miss. When the FBs are dry (30 min) the stuffers go into the dryer (2+ hours - thank goodness MIL wakes up at 4am and runs the dryer again if necessary). Does this sound right?

TIA!!

Momof3Labs
02-11-2005, 05:15 PM
The number of layers of hemp completely depends on your baby (and the day, since it varies for one baby too) and what kind of hemp you are using. For hemp fleece, I'd say 4-6 layers during the day for DS.

To improve on drying time, don't sew all the layers together. Try just sewing them together on two opposite ends and leave them free in the middle. That will help them dry much faster. Or sew two larger pieces of hemp together, then fold before stuffing the diaper.