PDA

View Full Version : Kind of OT - questions about DS's weight & buying diapers

emelsea
02-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Up until now, I've used mostly CPF's on DS. I like them, but I want to start using more fitteds, possibly a pocket or two.

Gunnar is 4 mos. old and weighs 18.5 lbs. He has been gaining steadily to say the least, and I am just wondering if it should taper off or reach a steady plateau. He is on the border between medium and large in so many of the diapers I look at. I think I should buy larges, but what if he stops gaining so much as soon as I place the order? Do you think its better to have diapers that are a shade too big, or a little too snug?

calebsmama03
02-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Hmm. Tough to say but with my little guy he started to thin out once he got mobile but since Gunnar is only 4 mos it will be a little while before he starts crawling, etc. If you want some perspective, I started CDs when C was 10 mos (16 lb) and we were all size M. He still fits (at 23 months and probably 25 lb?) almost every dipe I've bought him, though a few are getting short in the rise - but he's always been on the skinny side except for his thighs. For Gunnar I would probably go for the larges because he is so young. If he were a bit older with the same scenario I'd buy some mmeds too but given his age I think you'll get more mileage out of larges.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And the stubborn "purple" baby due 5/25/05

mudder17
02-12-2005, 11:46 AM
I think I agree with Lynne. Kaya is mostly in larges right now (at almost 1 year) and she's 18.5 pounds. She wears mostly large because she has chunky thighs. She has thinned out, but with her chunky thighs, she's still in mostly large diapers. She WAS 14 pounds at 4 months, and actually plateaued around 4 months, but has slowly gained an additional 4 since then. If he's more on the chunky side, I would definitely get him larges so you can get more mileage out of them. Keep in mind that some large diapers (such as FB) do run on the large side, so you may want to post some things you're interested in and we can maybe help you make a better decision.

What are the other measurements of Gunnar? I'm guessing even if his weight starts to plateau, his shape is not going to slim down for some time...

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

writermama
02-12-2005, 12:55 PM
It's always so hard to predict how your baby will grow and when he or she will do it, but you might consult a growth chart for an idea of what the average pattern is (of course, the "average baby" doesn't exist, but the charts show generally when the spurts usually are and when things level off).

I check them whenever I'm thinking of buying clothes for next season or next year, with mixed success at accurately predicting DD's future size.

Anyhow, there is a chart on Kellymom that I've used. The old chart using a standard of formula-fed babies is in black with red dots showing preliminary data for breastfed babies so you can see the difference in average patterns.

The chart:
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart1.html

HTH,
Karen

lizajane
02-13-2005, 11:09 AM
schuyler was 18 pounds at 16 weeks and was at the 100th percentile for height and weight. at 6 months, he was about 20 pounds and i think about 75th percentile for both. by 9 months, he was 50th percentile for weight and around 90th for height. so he went from super chunk to string bean pretty quickly. he wore his medium FBs and proraps until he was well over a year old. the large FBs are still kinda big on him! (the waist is too big.)

so i think i would get what fits now before you stock up too much on bigger sizes. too big might leak.

emelsea
02-13-2005, 11:23 AM
If it makes any difference, I'm going to buy Snappi fitted diapers (I'm in love with them) and probably some HH's. The M Snappi's are perfect right now, and I think that with the right wrap, and snappi'd right, the L's would be OK. Right? I have a Med HH right now that I like, so maybe I will order just 1 L to see if there is a big difference. I want to get a SEZ, but wasn't sure if I should order a M or L.

new_mommy25
02-13-2005, 02:24 PM
I started CDing at 4 months and DS was about 15 lbs. I bought all medium and sz1. At one year Noah was barely 20 lbs. At 17 months he can still wear almost all the diapers I bought and I'm just now starting to upgrade to larges. I say medium because I like a trim fit. Larges would've been waaay too bulky.

Momof3Labs
02-13-2005, 03:01 PM
We stayed in most of our medium diapers until about 22lbs or so (long skinny boy). You're kind of in the middle - larges will be so bulky, and may never fit him right as he slims down (different brands may fit him better when he slims down). As long as you are okay with the bulk or trimness, and have a good cover that fits him well, you should be fine with the Snappi fitteds in either size. With the pocket diapers, a good fit is crucial - sizing up usually results in leaks.

That was a tough weight range - about 18-22lbs because they are so in between sizes. I think that I stopped buying and waited until Colin gained a few more lbs and started shopping again. But we didn't hit 20lbs until one year - like I said, skinny boy!

lizajane
02-13-2005, 05:34 PM
i would get a large SEZ and wait for it to fit. folks have been saying that they grow out of the mediums really fast. and i tried a medium on dylan two days ago and it will fit him on the tighest snap!!! i just need to wait for his stump to fall off because it fit him high on his waist and covered his belly button. (and he is about 10.5lbs, i think.)

mudder17
02-13-2005, 06:07 PM
I would definitely get a large SEZ and wait for it to fit. Kaya has been wearing them since she was 16.5 pounds (she outgrew the mediums pretty fast). For the HH, maybe ordering one can help you make a better decision. Same with the Snappi fitteds. That way you can see whether the large sizes will fit pretty soon, or whether they're just way too big.

Overall, I don't mind bulkiness, especially because when it's too trim, it just ends up leaving red marks on Kaya's legs, and I hate that! I'm not sure what's going to happen with all my dipes when Kaya slims down (assuming she does), but they definitely fit now. Let's see...she's in a medium in Angelwraps, large in Tykie, petite toddler in FBs (although the thighs have to be on the largest setting for her), in between M and L in BB (M leave red marks on her legs), size 1 in Sugarpeas front snap, large in KindheartedWomen, and as I said, a large in SEZ. As you can see, she's right in between M&L (but mostly in large), depending on the brand. I don't know your son's overall shape, but if Kaya were his size at that age, I'd be tempted to go larger rather than smaller. But again, remember I don't mind a little bulkiness.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting