PDA

View Full Version : hemp sensitivity/allergy?

writermama
02-12-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if DD has an allergy or sensitivity to hemp. I've noticed that she has a uniform red rash when I stuff her Snap-EZ with hemp, especially in the morning after she's been in the diaper all night. So far, I've noticed the rash with LJs and Joeybunz. I didn't notice the rash with the Snap-EZ insert yesterday, but that's different fabric (hemp fleece + burley knit terry) and perhaps she wasn't in it for very long.

I did switch detergent recently from Cheer Free to Tide HE, so it could be the detergent. I've switched back to the Cheer Free, but is it possible that the Tide is still in the hemp even if it's not in the rest of the diapers?

Has anyone else ever had a DC with hemp sensitivity? What does the hemp sensitive rash look like? I really hope it's something else because I'd be bummed if I couldn't use the LJs anymore.

Waaaah!

-Karen

daisymommy
02-12-2005, 10:15 PM
I personally don't believe that she could be reacting to hemp stuffed inside of the pocket diaper. It's probably more likely that it is the detergent, or not getting it rinsed out all the way. Hemp really holds on to detergent, so it's for sure possible that there is leftover old detergent in it that she is reacting too.

I would do a wash without any detergent, and keep doing more rinses until you see no soap bubble or film in the water to get all teh residue out of your diapers and inserts.

I believe that Linda (Liya) who was an original "founding member" of our little cloth diaper club here ;) but only recently has checked back in to let us know she is still alive :)...her son Ari I think was allergic to hemp. You may want to track down her username and email her to ask about this. She is a real CD expert, and knows more about hemp than anyone I know!

Momof3Labs
02-13-2005, 09:13 AM
I'd recommend stripping or boiling your hemp inserts before calling it a hemp allergy. Hemp really hangs on to detergent, so probably still has some residual Tide in it. If they are just inserts (no snaps), I'd go the boiling route to get rid of the build-up, and see how she does then.