PDA

View Full Version : What is your top reason for cloth diapering?

american_mama
02-13-2005, 12:50 AM
I know many people probably cloth diaper for a combination of reasons, but please try to pick your A1 top reason. I am just beginning to learn about cloth diapers, so I hope I worded the choices appropriately.

mudder17
02-13-2005, 06:27 AM
Well, I chose environmental impact because that was our first reason for CD'ing, but after investigating, better for baby became a large priority for us, as well. It's why I've switched over to breathable options--Kaya's susceptibility to rash.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

bcky2
02-13-2005, 09:10 AM
we did it for a number of reasons (one being who can resist the cute diapers out there) but our number one reason was our ds has eczema pretty bad and one place it got really bad was around his diaper line on his legs. with cloth it has improved sooooo much, cloth is not as irritating.

Uxor
02-13-2005, 09:26 AM
My number one reason would be better for baby. IRL I'm a chemistand during my pregnancy I had to be extremely careful about everything I did at work. And after reading a little about what was in disposables I decided to give cloth a try. I will admit that I've only managed to do cloth part time though.

tarahsolazy
02-13-2005, 10:13 AM
I voted best for baby, but environment is also a big deal for me. Why spend tons of money, on 2 tons of trash per kid, and keep their genitals wrapped in chemical gel for 2-3 years? CD is really not hard, and I like that it was a mindful choice I made. I could have stopped with prefolds and wraps, with three pockets for night, and been completely satisfied.

egoldber
02-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Well environmental concerns were probably why I started looking into it. But I also jsut really enjoy it. I think its kind of fun and I enjoy doing something a little out of the norm. The look on people's faces when you say you cloth diaper is priceless LOL! ;)

Although I actually did settle on a combo of cloth and disposable use because DD was a very heavy wetter.

psophia17
02-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Although cost was a factor, I voted Better for Baby. I didn't even think about the possible ramifications on DS until AF came back after an 18 month hiatus, and I got my very own personal form of diaper rash with the first pad that I used. It was horrible - and I didn't want to put DS through that if I could help it.

I've been CDing during the day for a week now, and I have to say that I'm finding it surprisingly easy. I am looking forward to making the switch to 24/7, with sposies as back-up.

KrisM
02-13-2005, 02:10 PM
I voted cost, as that was my original reason. Now, I think better for baby is right up there. I didn't know all about sposies before. Environment is up there, but wasn't really my reason.

For cost, I started using cloth right away and mostly use prefolds and covers, so I haven't spent too much. I plan to have 1 or 2 more kids, so they will be free (I hope) or nearly free (more likely).

Convienence (not a choice) is also there. I hate shopping in general, and shopping for throw-away items is even worse. I've used cloth napkins for years because of that reason alone.

stillplayswithbarbies
02-13-2005, 02:14 PM
I voted "other". I got into it because it sounded like people were having such fun shopping for cute diapers and figuring out what works and how to come up with a good wash routine.

And then when I saw Beth's stash in person and saw how cute it was, I was hooked.

It's nice that I am helping the environment. But I'm not really saving any money, since we have to use disposables at day care. Even if we used cloth full time I don't think we would be saving any money. I keep it all in a spreadsheet so I can figure the break-even point and she will be out of diapers before we hit that date. (although I am not figuring in the resale value, so that will help)

So, why do I cloth diaper? Because it is fun and it is just one more cute thing to shop for.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

Momof3Labs
02-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Well, I voted environmental because I hated seeing those huge bags of diapers filling our can every week. But in reality, I switched because I was sick of leaky disposable diapers - pee, poop, you name it. I have a very long, skinny boy, and figured that with all the cloth options, I'd have a better chance finding something that would fit him well. Then I got hooked on the cute diapers. And I like that I am keeping the chemicals away from him for the most part (we still use disposables when out during the day and when on vacation). And I just enjoy it and the camaraderie here!!

emelsea
02-13-2005, 03:40 PM
I voted other. I'll be honest - I saw all the cute diapers out there and I wanted some. Luckily I had a baby on hand. There are days I'm tempted to buy newborn size Kissaluvs just because they are so darn cute and I want to rub one on my cheek!! Honestly - my right hand to G-d - some days I want to get pregnant again so I CAN buy newborn dipes.

lizajane
02-13-2005, 05:22 PM
environment was my first reason. i CD'd a baby while i was in college. (not MY baby, a kid i babysat!) since i was being paid to watch him, the parents just showed me how to use their CDs and that was what i was to do. so i did it. but it was so easy!! they did it for environmental reasons and so i got it into my head that i would definitely CD for that reason.

cost is a close second because i LOATHE spending money on things that get thrown away after one use. paper towels, paper napkins, ziploc bags, aluminum foil... (also environmental on all these things.) that is why we use cloth napkins, plastic containers, reuse our ziplocs to carry diapers home! etc.

and it wasn't really until i started using my CDs for my environmental and cost reasons that i really learned about all the "better for baby" reasons. i knew that cotton was definitely nicer against the skin than paper/plastic/chemicals. but the longer i used my CDs, the more i learned and now, to quote my best friend who doesn't even have kids yet, i think "disposable diapers are way gross."

ETA: i don't spend money on cute dipes. just pockets because i like the stay dry fleece. but i am REALLY lovin' the only fitted i own- a sugarpeas size 1 that a friend gave dylan as a gift and BOY do i want more! and i DO NOT need them! and i am lovin' the kissaluv 0s that eileen loaned us! obviously, i had to post a pic!!

omgrown
02-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I voted for the environmenal impact as that was my initial reason for going cloth. But as many of the other mama's said, I now realize how much better for my babe cloth really is. I still use sposies on vacation and sometimes at night, but after seeing how red and irritated the sposies make my little man (sometimes, not always) I realized how much better cloth is. I don't think I'm really saving any money, although I do plan to keep my stash around for baby #2 so that's probably where the savings will really come in (if there ever is a baby #2 :-) )

daisymommy
02-13-2005, 10:43 PM
I'll rank my reasons:

1. Better for baby
2. Better for environment
3. Cost saving
4. Cuteness factor

I will say that these are the reasons that I started cloth diapering, the reason that keeps me going is cute, cuddly, softness for Joshua. Everything else at this point is just icing on the cake.

Melanie
02-14-2005, 01:28 AM
I picked "better for baby" because of the horrible chemicals in disposables.

kijip
02-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Toby is in the baby butt minority of actually getting less redness/rash with disposibles than with cloth. So my main reason is environmental and my second reason is cost.

Note- yes we change him often, wash the dipes well, strip the dipes. He still gets more redness with disposibles. But we are not talking often or much at all. Basically with disposibles we never had much rash and with cloth we have SLIGHTLY more rash but still nothing to complain about. We fall into the use cloth even on vacation catagory so I am not really worried about the slight increase in redness.

Factoring in resale and some our our cloth has been all but free! Especially since we live in an apartment and do not pay our own water bill! Cost is close to environmental factor as my main concern. I really don't want to spend $60/month on pampers.

nitaghei
02-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I voted other, because my top two reasons tie:

1) DS's comfort - though this could fall under "better for baby?" He didn't have much diaper rash with disposables, but was clearly uncomfortable, and has since demonstrated he prefers soft cloth dipes.

and - this is because I'm a freak:

2) my convenience: I HATE, LOATHE, DESPISE running to the store on weekends, or late at night, when I'm already exhausted, to stand in line to buy diapers. And it would happen all the time - because either daycare or DH would forget to tell me until the last minute that we were out. I LOVE the security and rhythm of cloth. I know exactly how many dipes we have, and when I need to do wash. I have the whole routine figured out, and don't have to think about it. And I do wash when DS is sleeping, so it doesn't cut into the precious little time I have with him.

Over time, I've had a lot of fun with cute diapers. Fun diapers make the most yucky part of parenting more endurable.

And, we've broken even, not counting re-sale value. It's nice to save some $$, too.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

steph2003
02-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Better for baby period.

When I read here about all the chemicals/gels in the sposies I kinda freaked out. I am so naive I don't know what I thought they were putting in sposies to make them so absorbent.

The environment was a small factor for me although that is not my primary reason.

Cost - no way have I saved money. I've done the math & buying bulk at a warehouse club....well, I'll probably break about even at some point but definitely not saving money even if I could CD full time (daycare requires sposies). Although like Karen said have not factored in resale of diapers & money I might make there. I'm not betting on resale though because I figure after 2 kids (hopefully we'll have another) there might be nothing but threads left of these diapers!