PDA

View Full Version : Washing dyed prefolds

KrisM
02-17-2005, 10:08 AM
I bought a couple of dyed prefolds and haven't used them yet because I'm afraid to wash them :). I have blue, green, and red. Should I wash them each alone? I probably should have gotten all one color, but...

They're from Lil Bunz, in case someone else has those.

pritchettzoo
02-17-2005, 12:41 PM
You can fill a bowl with really hot water and put the prefold in. Swish around and let it sit there. If the water is colored, I would wash them separately with Dawn. If it's only slightly colored, you could probably wash the three of them together and be fine. They're probably all deep colors anyway.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

jec2
02-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Kris, hopefully they have been rinsed a few times to get rid of most of the residue. However, do what Anna suggested to get an idea of how much residual dye there still is left. You shouldn't have any problem washing those 3 colors together. If you do notice a bit of bleeding, just rinse them in hot in the sink and then throw them in the washer with dark colors (towels even).

I use synthrapol, which is a liquid (detergent) that rinses away the residual color. Still, even after a wash or two with that, there might be a little bleeding but it shouldn't be enough to damage anything of like color. If you have a lot of bleeding call a local craft/art supply store and pick up some synthapol and do a wash with some.

KrisM
02-17-2005, 07:24 PM
I'll give it a try tomorrow. At some point, will I be able to wash these with my regular prefolds?

mudder17
02-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Yes, as soon as they don't do more than a little residual bleeding. One thing that works for natural fabrics that are dyed is to set it with vinegar. So add vinegar to the hot wash and it'll help set the color (if they haven't already done that, but if they have it won't hurt it).

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting