PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Wipes - Do I need a warmer?

jenjenfirenjen
02-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Hello all! I would like to give cloth wipes a try but am wondering how exactly this works. Do I need a warmer to keep them in with some sort of wipes solution? If so, can anyone recommend a warmer (I don't currently have one.) Do most people use a wipes solution or just warm water? If you don't use a warmer, what do you do? My changing table is not in the bathroom so wetting them in the sink is not a real convenient option. I do have a large pump-top thermos that I used to keep filled with warm water for the first few weeks and used with the gauzy wipes that I swiped from the hospital. I guess I could use this again though it was a little messy. Thanks for the advice. I looked briefly in the archives but couldn't find what I was looking for and since DS refuses to nap for more than 20 minutes, I don't have time to keep searching.

pittsburghgirl
02-17-2005, 10:42 AM
I don't use a warmer; never have. DS isn't too fussy about that kind of thing.

I just use warm water; I have some baby bits samples which I keep meaning to try but haven't gotten around to it yet. I keep a stack of wipes in the bathroom and then wet them on the way into changing him; not that convenient but it's ok.

I think a lot of mamas use a tupperware type container or an empty sposie wipe container and fold the cloth wipes in half in the solution to keep them at the changing table. I recall reading that you need to change the solution maybe daily, though? Hopefully someone who does this can correct me on that.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

KrisM
02-17-2005, 10:50 AM
I use a small Sterilite container to hold wet wipes. I wet about 10 wipes in the bathroom and then fold them and put them in the container. Oh, squeeze out excess water first. That lasts a couple of days.

I don't use a warmer or any solution. Andrew doesn't seem to mind room temperature wipes. We tried a wipe solution and it caused a rash, so now we stick with plain water.

Here is the Sterilite we have: http://www.sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Kitchenware&ProductCategory=70# It's number 0215. I don't know how to paste the photo in here.

I got it at Target for about $3. It is in the Kitchen section.

You could use an empty disposible wipes container too. I only have one of those and it's holding socks for us.

daisymommy
02-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Do you need a wipe warmer? No. Do I love mine? Yes :D

If you want to try one, I recomend the Dex brand warmer. We have been using ours for 2 years now with great success. I know it warms from the top down, and think it's called the Deluxe or Ultimate, meaning it can be used with pop-up style or regular wipes. But the great thing is that it's larger inside so it holds cloth wipes perfect!

I fold a stack of dry wipes, lay them in, then pour the solution over top. It will work it's way down to the bottom wipes as you use them (squeeze out any excess water onto the rest of the stack as you use them). OR wet the entire stack under warm running tap water, squeeze out excess, and lay the stack in the warmer.

Joshua is one picky-touchy kid to start with. Cold wipes are just one more thing that makes for a yelling session in our house. The wipes aremer helps :)

tarahsolazy
02-17-2005, 02:35 PM
I have the same warmer Amy does, I think I bought it based on her advice about 11 months ago! Our changing table is in the bedroom. We fill it with water, and add some Burt's Bee's apricot oil and baby shampoo if I feel like it. (DH always just uses water) It stays full of water, and we dip and wring out the wipes, which sit in a basket beside the warmer. Works great.

mudder17
02-17-2005, 08:21 PM
We don't use a wipes warmer because we discovered early on that DD doesn't mind room temp water. Plus, there's no place in the bathroom (our changing area) to plug in a wipes warmer. I just have a peri bottle filled with water and baby bits. When I change her, I'll grab a dry wipe and wet the corners as I go along. It works just fine and simplifies things completely.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

jenjenfirenjen
02-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'll do without the warmer since we've never used one. I may just stick with the pump-top thermos or a disposable wipes container.

I just ordered a bunch of velour/sherpa wipes from Lucy's Hope Chest. Can't wait to try them out!

mudder17
02-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Oooh...velour/sherpa is my favorite combo for wipes. :) Oh, and I don't even bother with a container--they just go in a drawer with my dipes.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

squimp
02-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Every day I just put a stack of 5 or 10 wipes in an old wipes container, then put this under running water so the wipes are wet. We just use plain water, and this stack lasts through the day. Regular wipes seem to irritate her, she whines when I use them sometimes. They're also good for wiping her face, blowing noses, etc. The wipes are never musty or weird since they sit for less than a day.

C99
02-19-2005, 11:58 AM
I used a warmer for the first 8 months or so, but that was mostly because we bought one to ease diaper changes early on. Now, I just use a medium-sized Gladware container filled w/ wipes and water.

jedfac
02-20-2005, 02:12 PM
I don't have one. I change her in the laundry room and there's no extra outlets in there even if I did have one. I use an old Huggies wipes container and fold my wipes in half and sometimes I use water, sometimes I use baby bits or some other similar product.

It does go bad after a few days, I change it on the days I do diaper laundry. I'm going to try wetting the stack with plain water and wringing it out and just putting them in the box. Right now I'm wetting them as they go in the laundry sink but I find that wasteful (of water)

I don't think you NEED one. I just tell her "cold" before I touch her with it. Most of the time she doesn't care. I put the box on the dryer, and when the dryer runs they all get warmed. Since I do laundry every day, if I do it in the morning they are pretty warm all day :)