PDA

View Full Version : Just got a wool cover -- feeling intimidated!

ktshea
02-17-2005, 12:52 PM
OK ladies, I just got my first wool cover in the mail yesterday (Sugarpeas wool jersey from softclothbunz). I was so excited to use it on DD, but now that it's here I'm feeling a bit intimidated. I need to wash it first, right? This is the problem. I take my wool sweaters to the dry cleaner's so they won't end up fitting a Barbie doll. I really dread having to wash this cover. It could just sit on a shelf and look pretty until I get up the courage, but I'm guessing this isn't as big of a deal as I'm making it out to be. It came with a free sample of Eucalan, so if I just swish it around in the sink with a bit of that and some water then let it dry I won't ruin it, right? Eek! Scary!
Thanks!
Katie

new_mommy25
02-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Don't worry, it's easy! Just fill your sink up with a little water and Eucalan or baby shampoo. Swish and let it soak in there for a while. Then fill your sink up again with just water, swish, and again let it sit. (I usually fill my sink up twice with fresh water but that could just be me.) Roll in a towel to remove excess water and then dry flat on a towel. Depending on how often you use the cover you really only need to wash it every 1-2 weeks.

To lanolize. Fill up a cup of hot water and put in about 1/4" Lasinoh. Stir. Fill your sink with cool water and empty the cup in there. Then just use the same prcess as above. You only need to lanolize every 4-8 weeks or depending on how often you use the cover.

tarahsolazy
02-17-2005, 02:27 PM
You can use it without washing first, if you want. It should work just fine. I only wash mine when they smell like pee when dry, usually every 3-4 weeks.

daisymommy
02-17-2005, 02:28 PM
You don't need to wash or lanolize it yet! It's all ready to be worn. Don't worry about washing until she's worn it several times, or until it gets poop in it. You don't need to lanolize until every 4-6 washes.

Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but you aren't supposed to rinse after using Eucalan. That wil remove the lanolin you just put into your cover.

new_mommy25
02-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Whoops, sorry about that! I never use Eucalan, just baby shampoo so I missed that part.

ktshea
02-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Yay! I am so glad I don't have to wash it yet -- although the process sounds pretty simple. Thank you all so much for the info. DD is getting a nice wool cover next diaper change!
Katie

ktshea
02-18-2005, 01:20 AM
Agh! She had that beautiful cover on for 30 minutes -- ONLY 30 MINUTES!-- and she had a monster blow-out! Now it looks like I'll have to wash it... :)