PDA

View Full Version : Meredith's First Fluff + a quick question (PICS)

MeredithsMom
02-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi ladies!

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of Meredith's trial run in her hot pink Fuzzi Bunz--her first CD ever!

She seemed to like it, and it wasn't bad at all changing her (ask me again when there's poop--I'm so scared!!!). Of course, DH was changing her poopy sposie yesterday and forgot to take her socks off first--you can guess the rest. I had no trouble washing out (and touching) the sock, so maybe I can handle it??? She's in a Baby Blanket pocket now and it seems to fit her thighs better than the FB.

Also, I know that this has been asked and answered many times (I know b/c I read all the archives, ha ha), but I'm still not sure: should I use vinegar in the rinse to wash my Fuzzi Bunz, Baby Blanket, and hemp inserts? I bought some, as well as a Downy Ball, then I read on www.cottonbabies.com not to use vinegar with FB. I've also read on other sites to use vinegar to restore the ph level (due to baking soda). Is this just a matter of preference or what?

Thanks!!!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/21831.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/21832.jpg

p.s. does this 6 mo. old baby need a haircut or what? LOL

mudder17
02-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Oh my gosh, she is so beautiful! The hot pink FB really suits her. However, it looks from the picture that she doesn't have particularly chunky thighs, so I'm not surprised the BBs fit well.

The washing methods vary depending on whether you have hard water, soft water, front loader, top loader, etc. The main thing is that you want to try using enough detergent to get everything clean, but not too much so that you end up with constant build-up. If you go to the Diaper 101 Thread and look at the bottom, you'll find a link to washing methods that might give you some guidelines. I would suggest not using baking soda and vinegar on a regular basis in any case. When I do use baking soda, I also use vinegar to restore the pH level. Overall, my current method does not involve either and uses Calgon occasionally.

HTH!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

kthomp
02-21-2005, 12:27 PM
She looks so cute and comfy in her first CD!

Don't be scared of poop. Really, it's not that different from poop in a sposie. The first few times might be a little weird, but you will be a pro in no time. It will just plop right off the fleece and into the toliet. Here's a tip if you don't have a minishower (I don't)- I use a Perri bottle to spray off any big amount of stuck on poop. I just keep it filled right next to the toilet. For small amounts, don't worry, the washer will handle it. ;)

The vinegar- I have some, but as of yet I haven't used it. I have heard not to use it when there's any PUL in the wash. If you wanted to use some, just wash everything, then take out your PUL before putting in the vinegar. If you just have a few CDs, I wouldn't bother with vinegar right now.

HTH! I hope you love your CDs! And we're always here to help. ;)

brigmaman
02-21-2005, 12:36 PM
What a happy baby! That pink dipe is adorable on her.
We use vinegar in the initial rinse when we wash the dipes.

new_mommy25
02-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Wow! Your DD is so beautiful. The pink fb is a wonderful color on her and compliments her skin tone so nicely. And she has so much hair! BeautifiuL!

new_mommy25
02-21-2005, 12:45 PM
I never use baking soda or vinegar because I was getting problems with stink when I used them. However, if you do use vinegar you probably want to remove your PUL first. Here is a helpful article on vinegar http://www.thediaperhyena.com/clothdiaperarticle_diaperwashingroutine.htm#inhous ewashingmethod

MeredithsMom
02-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Thanks everyone! Looks like I'll forego the baking soda/vinegar for now (I bought tons last night, but I can always use it for something else!). Right now I have the two pocket dipes, two CPFs that are on their 3rd wash and dry "fluffing" right now, a cover, and a Very Baby AIO on the way.

Well, trial by fire is always the best way, and Meredith just pooped during her nap, right onto the fabulous suedecloth BB (no fleece liner or anything). It was also pretty disgusting, no-way-is-this-solid-and-plopping-off-with-a-shake poop. But, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I tried a "swish" in the toilet which didn't work, then just used baby wipes to get the rest off. I still didn't get any on my hands, and that can happen CD or sposie! Now for the wash test . . .

Thanks for the support and the very nice compliments on DD. We think she's beautiful too, but we're a little partial. :7 She must not be too modest either, as she was just squealing with glee upon seeing her pics on the computer.

p.s. I thought of the peri bottle too, then forgot to fill it up before hand! I imagine all this is much easier once CDs are the only system in place--now I'm putting CDs in a big ziploc and still using the Dekor for sposies.

KrisM
02-21-2005, 01:06 PM
It sure looks like she likes the FB! Don't be afraid of poop. It's really not that bad.

mudder17
02-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Hee, hee, you discovered the new fluff rule--baby must poop in it. :) If it makes your life easier in the future, you might consider getting a minishower. I do use it for every poopy diaper, but I also use it for myself (during AF), my cloth pads, and my Diva Cup. It's just a handy, all around useful item. I bought a second one for when I travel because I missed it so much when I went to FL last time. :)

And yes, once you get your system in place, it makes things much easier. I will say that occasionally I forget to refill the peri bottle and then I'm trying to figure out if I should take my hand off of her to let her roll, or if she's particularly messy, shouting for DH to give me a hand, or if he's not around, trying to figure out a way to use a dry wipe to get most of the mess off so that she can roll while I fill the bottle. :D Needless to say, I'm getting better at remember to keep the bottle filled.

Sounds like you've had a successful intro to CD! Congratulations! :)

ETA: Oh and Kris is right--poop ain't that bad. I changed Kaya today and didn't realize she had a poop until I started removing the diaper. The poop fell onto her fleece cover and in a panic, I loosely grabbed it and dropped it into the toilet so that it wouldn't smear onto the fleece cover (it didn't). She's right--it wasn't that bad. And I was able to finish cleaning her up without too much of a mess. :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

steph2003
02-22-2005, 09:55 AM
wow! I love that hot pink color - wish I could pass that off on a boy! she is adorable with her head of hair.

Um, yeah the poop isn't so fun. I'm not going to lie. It is the thing I dislike the most about CD. I keep waiting for Griff's poops to get more solid & then it won't be so bad. I do recommend the mini sprayer but somehow I manage to make a mess with that too :)