PDA

View Full Version : Diva Cup revisted - one last time!

psophia17
02-21-2005, 12:38 PM
I know - the Diva cup is getting pretty darn boring, but I wanted to post an updated review for anyone here who is on the fence about getting one.

First off, I cut off most of the tail-thingy at the base, and I could no longer feel it AT ALL - nada, zip, nothing. I checked it every 12 hours and it never had more than maybe 1/2 a teaspoon of anything in it - so if your reasoning not to get one is that you're squeamish, it was way, way less gory than any of the more traditional feminine hygiene routes you can take. I wore it to all of my exercise classes, including in the pool for water aerobics, and didn't have one second's worth of annoyance, discomfort, or worry about it.

I had not one cramp, not one twinge, and not one speck of irritation - all of which I usually had to some degree with AF. There was no odor, too, which was a benefit I hadn't considered beforehand. Also, and I don't know if this is related to the Diva, but what had been a 4-5 day AF lasted 2.5 days. I even kept the Diva in place two extra days, since I've been surprised before by a really light day in the middle of heavy days, and there was nothing.

I am a convert - until I hit menopause (my Mom is 58 and STILL hasn't hit it), the Diva will be my modus operendi :)

Let me just say - YAY!

calebsmama03
02-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Petra,
So glad it is working better for you. I too had to cut the tail off and now it's perfect as you describe. Your light flow/pain free/shorter experience is also what happened to me. I tell anyone who will listen ;)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And the stubborn "purple" baby due 5/25/05

mudder17
02-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Ditto for me. Cut off the tail, better periods. :) What is this? 3 for 3? :D

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

searchdog
02-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Glad to here that it is going well. I haven't used mine yet. I think I will be soon. ;) Of course I am worried about cutting the tail off, I worry about way to many little things!

mudder17
02-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Hopefully you'll make it 4 for 4. :) I actually worried about cutting the tail off, but then I tried it and it kept poking me. After snipping off the first part, it was just fine for me.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/16994.birthday.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif Breastfed 11 months and counting

westchicagomom
02-22-2005, 12:04 AM
I read the thread where these were first discussed but I am sure I rolled my eyes at the thought of using them. Thank goodness I reconsidered because, like you, I think I will be using this from now on.

I only used it part-time last cycle and I do need to snip the tail (scared I will snip too much) and get a bit more comfortable inserting it correctly so there are no leaks. But the one time I had it in correctly, I seriously think I skipped out of the bathroom because it just felt like *complete* freedom.

And this is coming from a total tampon girl who wouldn't even use those non-applicator ones. And now I am definitely convinced tampons create longer periods too! If someone is on the fence, definitely try it. It could be the best $30 you have ever spent!

Valerie99
02-22-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm still having problems with my Diva Cup. It seems I'm the only person not liking it though, so maybe I'm doing something wrong. It just seems excessively messy for one, which is the major issue. How on earth do you get it into position without making a mess of things? And also it is uncomfortable to me. Not the stem part, I'm able to deal with that, but I used it today, I immediately started to have horrible cramps. Do any of you happy Diva Cup users have some helpful hints for me? I keep thinking about returning it, but I know so many people are so happy with it, I must just be doing something wrong.

searchdog
02-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Ok it just was uncomfortable with the tail so I got brave and cut some of it off and that made a world of difference. The tail was driving me crazy, so now that it is gone I don't even notice I am using the Diva Cup, I am so excited I think it is going to work.

I think I am making it five for five!

pittsburghgirl
02-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Well, I'm not yet getting shorter periods nor lighter after 2 cycles with the diva cup. But I really like the convenience, and I'm no longer getting irritation from the tampons or pads. I am still using cloth pads or liners as backup; I think my flow is sufficiently heavy that after inserting, there is still some fluid on the sides that escapes eventually (sorry if TMI!) I do like the convenience though; we were away for a weekend, I took it along just in case since AF was due the following week and lo and behold it started the day we were flying back. It was so nice to only have to have one little pouch in my cosmetic bag instead of having to drag along several pads or tampons.

I also cut the tail off and no problems with that.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

psophia17
02-22-2005, 05:34 PM
How many cycles have you used it for?

This was cycle #2 for me, and I have to say that it took until the last day I had it in this time around for me to really get the hang of it. Let's see, first I cut off about half of the tail, and I made sure to try and taper the blunt edges that were left, too.

Step by step, with lots of TMI, I'm sure:
Insertion
1) Go to the bathroom as usual, and blot dry
2) Wash hands and thouroughly wet the Diva with warm water
3) Fold as per Diva instructions, and insert with the crease of the fold to the back (it slides in more smoothly this way)
4) Insert the Diva the rest of the way
5) Run a finger around the base of the Diva to feel that it's unfolded; if it hasn't, grasp the tail or bottom of the cup and wiggle or twist it a bit (I found that if I stand up and do a squat or two, I can feel it unfold and settle into place)
6) Blot dry, wash your hands, and you're done

Emptying
1) Go to the bathroom as usual, and blot dry
2) Use one hand to hold open the folds of the vulva and the other to grasp the tail and base of the Diva
3) Relax your pelvic floor muscles (the anti-Kegel) and pull down on the Diva (don't try and make it turn a corner - this causes a big mess, and you may drop the Diva in the toilet like I did on Day 1!)
4) Pour the contents of the Diva in the toilet
5) Rinse the Diva and your hands in warm water (the instructions say to wash it with soap, too, but I haven't done so except at the beginning and end of my cycle)
6) Re-insert according to above instructions

I hope that helps you out - if there's something I've missed, or you need more specific info, just say the word, and good luck! :)

Valerie99
02-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Thank you so much!! I tried it with much better results this time! I still have a bit of discomfort, so I think I'll try trimming the tail. I didn't want to trim it until I was sure I was going to keep it. One more question. What do you do about the "wet the cup" step when you are in a public restroom?

ETA: I did it! I trimmed off most of the tail, and OMG what a difference. Not a bit of discomfort, can't even tell it's there! I'm so excited because I think this will really work for me, when a couple of days ago I'd given up on it and was ready to send it back. I really appreciate all the help, and thanks Petra, for typing out the step-by-step, it really helped me to get it right!

pittsburghgirl
02-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Valerie - the instructions say to wipe the Diva cup out with toliet paper in a public restroom. Then just make sure you wash it later in the day.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

psophia17
02-23-2005, 12:47 AM
Glad I could help - and that you think it'll work out for you now :)

I haven't used it mine in a public restroom yet, and with the 12 hour timeframe for emptying it, I don't know that I'll ever need to. Even if I went past my 12 hours a bit, I'd probably wait until I got home and avoid the awkwardness of a public restroom - it wouldn't be good to drop it in a public toilet, IYKWIM!

ALLEYCAT
02-23-2005, 04:00 PM
They were doing a promotion at the healthfood store and I got a sample. I am hoping I will get to use it sometime. 16 months breast feeding and still no AF.
http://www.softcup.com/