PDA

View Full Version : Pattern for knitting wool covers?

downwarddog
02-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Hi all!
OK, so I'm going to delve into the world of wool, despite how I feel about it. I can't afford most of the wool covers/soakers I'm finding (& Luxe Baby hasn't any for sale right now), so does anyone know of any patterns out there to purchase?

Has anyone seen the wool yarn for auction at the Fluff Factory auction? GORGEOUS!!!!!

pritchettzoo
02-21-2005, 05:10 PM
http://www.woolywonder.com/ (She offers classes and there are helpful forums too)
http://www.littleturtleknits.com/patterns.htm

You might want to search the Sewing and Crafts forum at MDC. There are tons of threads. Also, there is a yahoo group for wool soakers with I think some free patterns. It's probably listed on the MDC forum.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

tarahsolazy
02-21-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't know what your knitting skill level is, but my first knitting project was a soaker, using the Fern & Faerie pattern. The pattern is $10, and includes pants and shorts, as well as soakers, and you customize it based on your kid's measurements. (There is a nice chart) This pattern doesn't have short rows or a ribbed body, or crocheting, or anything, so I found it to be a very good beginner pattern. It also has instructions for knitting flat, or in the round. An excellent value. If you are an advanced beginner knitter, I like the Wooly Wonder pants pattern, and the little turtle knits Ribby Wrap and hybrid Rib soaker patterns, although there is alot of increasing and decreasing, and a crochet leg gusset, so a tad more complicated.

www.fernandfaerie.com

KrisM
02-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Here is a page with a list of patterns - both free and for sale:
http://diaperpages.com/soaker.php

It also talks about using acrylic instead of wool. Interesting. I might give that a try!

Chel05
02-21-2005, 06:57 PM
After seeing a fellow BBB knitted soaker pants I just had to learn to make them. And thus a new craft was born in this home- like I need another way to spend money!

I taught myself to knit Superbowl Sunday (litterally) from a Lion Brand hat and scarf pattern. Finished it up pretty quick and now I am working on a few embellshments in anticipation of a birthday gift for a dear friend next month.

Now I am working on two things at once- yes I go gung ho- a felted purse and the WooleyWonder soakers mentioned earlier. It took me a few moments to figure out the abbrevations on the soaker pattern and in a bit of a struggle with increases- for the hips- but Pam's site offers a lot of support with all things- pattern help, stitch questions and well what do I do with my yarn now that it has arrived and not in a ball. I am a true beginner and ask it all.

Go for it and knit your own soaker. Heck I have no children and I doubt the cat will let me put a soaker of any kind on her, but I am so enjoying learning a new craft.

Oh the pattern was $14.

Blessings,
Michele

egoldber
02-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Just FYI, the crochet on the LTK soaker pattern is optional. I have not used the Ribby Wrap pattern or hybrid Rib soaker patterns, so I don't know if the crochet is optional there as well.

Out of curiosity, do the F&F patterns ever go on sale? They seem to be up to $15 each.

tarahsolazy
02-21-2005, 11:58 PM
The crochet is not optional on the hybrid or the Ribby, unfortunately. I only know how to crochet because of those patterns, LOL. The leg holes have crocheted gussets, which are great dipe leg coverers and poo catcher backup, which is what makes the patterns really great. But, if you don't crochet them, the leg holes are gigantic.

downwarddog
02-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks to all of you for those sites & info! I'm a very beginner knitter, & haven't crocheted since Girl Scouts:-) I'm planning on enlisting my mother to help me with these (or make one herself!), she'll love it.

Any one know of some brands of the softest wool? Regular wool (even cashmere) tends to make me itchy, so I'm really looking to buy the softest wool I can. Anyone ever used Alpaca wool? There is an alpaca farm near me who sells beautiful yarn & I'm wondering how that would work. It feels pretty darn soft!

Thanks again & when I have a completed project, I'll post the results!

tarahsolazy
02-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Yes, alpaca would work, its very soft and nice. I have some alpaca/merino wool blend which feels like soft cotton, so yummy! When you pick a pattern, you'll need to see what weight the yarn is. Common terms are worsted weight or bulky weight. There are tons more weights, but these are common. Worsted weight yarns make nice soakers that aren't too bulky, bulky weight makes great nighttime soakers, or no-pants soakers.

omgrown
02-23-2005, 02:01 PM
There is a yahoo group for wool soakers that I've found to be a great resource for patterns and is a great place to ask questions as well.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wool_soaker_group/
Can't wait to see your results. I just kool-aid dyed some wool the other day, hoping to get started on the LTK soaker pattern with the wool today, we'll see how it goes!