PDA

View Full Version : Comprehensive Training Pants Thread

Puddy73
02-23-2005, 12:07 PM
This might be more appropriate on the Toddler board, but it seems like many of us have DC who are just starting to take an interest in the potty. Here's a review of the training pants that I've tried so far.

Bummies Training Pants - The padding in the crotch is very thick, which is good for containing leaks, but it takes a long time to dry. The jungle print is cute, but I'm not crazy about the fit. I ordered a small, which is supposed to fit 20-30 lbs. Annabelle is about 25-26 pounds and they are very poofy on her, like a shower cap with leg holes. They also make a loud crinkling sound when she walks, which she finds hilarious. In summary, these pants are okay for wearing around the house, but I don't like them enough to buy another pair.

MOE Trickle-Free Trainers: Very trim, available in white or a few basic colors. They are lined with terry cloth, and they have a comfortable elastic waist and snaps on the sides for easy removal. Unfortunately, they are not trickle-free, at least for my DD. She peed while sitting on the couch and it leaked out the legs. They would hold a small-medium leak at most.

Gerber training pants: These are like regular panties with an extra absorbant layer sewn in the crotch. They would hold a tiny leak, but that's it. When she is farther along in training, I might let DD run around outside in these. I shudder at the thought of DD pooping in these. They are available at Wal-Mart and Target.

Motherease training pants. These fall into the "shower cap" category. They look weird under pants. The elastic is also very skinny and cuts into DD's legs and waist. On the plus side, they are soft and they are available in several cute patterns with little animals. They are terry lined and hold a small-medium leak.

Target disposable training pants: I needed some disposable training pants for DD to wear to daycare, and these are much cheaper than Pampers and Huggies. They feel nice and soft and I like the stretchy material on the sides. Very leak-proof in my experience.

I've ordered two pairs of Nap-EZ trainers and I should be receiving them in a week or so. They are pockets and have a PUL cover. I think that it will be helpful to be able to adjust the stuffing as potting training progresses. I'll post an update when I receive them.

Please add your experiences!

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle Mae 9/8/03

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

ALLEYCAT
02-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Humm, excellent reviews. I have not tried any yet, I am looking at the TL Care on Ebay, anyone tried these?
I also may end up making some if I can find a pattern. I am not skilled enough to wing it.
I am anxiously awaiting a revew on them!

egoldber
02-23-2005, 08:28 PM
DD has been potty trained since last June. In preparation for training, I bought a pair of Bumpy training pants, a pair of MOE training pants, and a pair of the Stage C Gerber training pants (without the nylon outer). What I actually used of that? Nothing. (OK, I use the Gerber training pants as "spare" undies in the car and in her school backpack.)

I found that when DD wore anything at home, she would have accidents. I had the best success leaving her naked at home and then going straight to underwear once she had mastered the fundamentals. I did use pull-ups (the disposable kind) when we went out and about for the first couple weeks until I got up the courage to use underwear when out too. But the pull-ups did NOTHING to help, and in fact only hindered our progress. But I waited until DD literally asked me to use the potty. I really did no training at all, just encouraged her once she decided she wanted to go.

As far as disposable pull-ups go, I have used them all: Huggies Pull-ups, Pampers EasyUps and store brands of all types. In my experience the Pampers run small, but are the most absorbant. The Huggies are sized more generously and are easier for kids to get up and down themselves, but are a little less absorbant. Store brands are less "nicely" made, but are definitely cheaper and are as functional as the Huggies.

We still use Huggies or store brand at night, because half the time she wakes up dry, but only half the time, and I'm not doing diaper laundry for 3 diapers a week. Maybe when the baby comes and I'm doing diaper laundry anyway, I'll think about using cloth at night for her again.

So I would really recommend waiting until you get into the training process before buying a lot of stuff, since you may end up not really needing it.

toomanystrollers
02-23-2005, 08:55 PM
I bought a couple pairs of Bummis training pants for DS for preschool - figuring he might need them for the first couple of weeks - NOPE, NADA - too poufy for him.

IMO, disposable pull-ups hinder training - they're just too darn absorbant. And also, IMO :) pretraining is a waste of time. If you're child is motioning to go sit on the potty - then go for it. But asking a young child over and over "do you have to go?" or training yourself when they have to go is a big Herculean effort - LOL!! and I'm too much of a slacker to commit to early training.

Both DD & DS trained around their 3rd birthday within 2 weeks - straight to cotton underpants and cotton Gerber training pants (for out 'n about). We had a little "good-bye to diapers party" :)

HTH