PDA

View Full Version : I actually made something useful!! (pic)

searchdog
02-24-2005, 09:41 AM
I turned one of my prefolds into a usable fitted! I am so excited and DH just doesn't get it. The lastin isn't put in the best, but not bad for my first successful diaper.

DH doesn't understand how this can be so exciting, but I figured the mamas here would understand. BTW I have never sewn before. I did have a serger lesson last week and boy was it worth it! Now I just need to work on getting the lastin in better so it is tighter, any hints ladies??

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22007.jpg

Now to make some doublers for these. Can I just do two layers of hemp fleece topped with microfleece and serge the three layers together??

kthomp
02-24-2005, 11:03 AM
That looks great!

I bet Liza or Shandelle would be able to help with the sewing questions. ;)

lizajane
02-24-2005, 11:31 AM
it looks great!!

i have to admit, the lastin on one of my prefitteds came unstiched or something, so one of the legs is not stretchy anymore. so i don't claim to be an expert!

but shandelle's tip about elastic saved me- she said don't cut the elastic until AFTER you sew. so you can grab it and pull it tight as you sew and not worry about getting the right length or having enough to hold onto, etc. SO MUCH EASIER.

for doublers, yes-two layers of hemp fleece with microfleece on top is perfect. i made doublers that way for schuyler and dylan. just be sure to prewash the hemp because it will shrink a lot and the microfleece will not. so cut and serge after you wash. also, put the fleecey side of the hemp facing up and then put the microfleece on top. the fleecey side absorbs faster so you want that side facing baby.

daisymommy
02-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Wow! What a great job you did! I wish I could trun out something like that on my first try :)
As far as the doublers go, I personally would do 3 layers of hemp fleece, if your machine can handle it. That way you won't have to remake them as she gets older and is more of a heavy wetter.

KrisM
02-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Wow! That looks so great! I wish I could sew like that.

searchdog
02-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the hint on not cutting the lastin I will try that. Also thanks for the info on putting the fleecy side up toward the microfleece, I would have done it the other way. I can only do two layers of hemp fleece, I don't think my serger could handle anymore, it it is not a heavy duty serger.

knaidel
02-24-2005, 08:20 PM
I can't believed you never sewed before! It looks great! I've sewn plenty of CLOTHES for me, but when I tried this, it looked terrible. AMAZING!

If you don't mind, could you give me step-by-step instructions how you did it? Either post it here, or email me at rl77 at sbcglobal dot net

thanks

searchdog
02-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Here is a link to a how to that another mom on the board did. This is how I learned to do it and it is an awesome explanation.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=60&topic_id=26193&mesg_id=26193&listing_type=search

I thought the serging would be the hard part, but now I have that all figured out, I need to work on getting the elastic put in better.

todzwife
02-24-2005, 10:46 PM
Great job ;)