PDA

View Full Version : Anyone order from the UK?

MeredithsMom
02-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Yes, I am officially obsessed. Fortunately, I've come to the right place. :-)

Now I am fascinated by Tots Bots nappies. The only place I've seen that stocks them in the US is out (of course), but perhaps there are more retailers?

Anyway, has anyone ordered dipes from the UK? They tell you the postage AFTER the order is placed, so I'm wondering. I have ordered things from Ireland before, but I forget what the shipping ran.

Any other fun Anglophile diaper items I can get into trouble with? LOL.

mudder17
02-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Wow, how did you ever come across these diapers? They look really cute and soft. I guess BetterForBabies is not stocking them until the US/UK exchange rate gets better. I don't have any good suggestions, since I've never ordered anything from the UK. I do have a friend's MIL who is currently there, but I don't think she would cloth diaper--she has OCD, and would never touch cloth diapers--finds them unclean.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Breastfed 1 Year -- Woohoo!

KrisM
02-25-2005, 04:01 PM
I haven't ordered from the UK or anywhere other than the US. But, on their website, it says you can contact them if you're out of the UK. I'd try that first. Also, they might be able to tell you what shipping is.

MeredithsMom
02-25-2005, 04:16 PM
I know! Aren't they adorbale? They even come in polka dots. I think I was looking at Imse Vimse fitteds last night (don't know if anyone around here has tried those, I only see posts about the Bumpy covers) and found this UK site called Kittikins. Then I checked out the reviews at Diaper Pin and Tots Bots were there. They are also all over eBay but again there's the shipping concern. No biggie. The best is that Snappis in the UK are called Nappi Nippas. I mean, isn't sNAPPI British enough? LOL.

DH has been at work late all week and Meredith is finally sleeping well, so I don't know what to do with myself after she goes to bed. I'm still too sleep deprived to be terribly productive, too wired to sleep. So, off to research arcane British dipes I go. :-)

p.s. happy belated b-day to Kaya and congrats on a year of nursing! I still look at that goal as so far away, but I am halfway there!

mudder17
02-25-2005, 05:43 PM
>I know! Aren't they adorbale? They even come in polka dots.
> I think I was looking at Imse Vimse fitteds last night (don't
>know if anyone around here has tried those, I only see posts
>about the Bumpy covers) and found this UK site called
I thought Bumpy's and Imse Vimse are the same company, right? I didn't realize they made fitteds, though. It'd be interesting to find out how well they work, since a lot of people seem to like the covers.

>Snappis in the UK are called Nappi Nippas. I mean, isn't
>sNAPPI British enough? LOL.
Well, you know the British! ;-) (Not really putting them down--I have great friends who are British and my dad was there for 2 years and is always talking about how he loved being there.)

>DH has been at work late all week and Meredith is finally
>sleeping well, so I don't know what to do with myself after
>she goes to bed. I'm still too sleep deprived to be terribly
>productive, too wired to sleep. So, off to research arcane
>British dipes I go. :-)
Hee, hee. Hey, why not? Arcane British Dipes for a Arcane British Lit expert, right? :D

>p.s. happy belated b-day to Kaya and congrats on a year of
>nursing! I still look at that goal as so far away, but I am
>halfway there!
Thanks! I never realized I would make it this successfully, and yet, here I am! Half of my sanity is due to the ladies on this board, though!

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Breastfed 1 Year -- Woohoo!

MeredithsMom
02-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Yes, Imse Vimse makes Bumpys; I just realized how confusing my wording was (way to go, English major!). Imse Vimse also makes fitted dipes, contour dipes, and flats. Some of the stuff is Oko Tex standard (same as some of the Hanna Andersson clothes). The fitteds apparently can be reconfigured to be one size birth-toddler. No one has reviewed them on Diaper Pin, though. www.naturalbabies.com has them. Guess I'll have to be the one to get them and review them. What a laugh! Imagine me having new info for the well-informed Baby Butts mamas. :-)

p.s. yay for arcane British lit! I wrote my MA thesis on John Ruskin, which my mom likened to "not studying the cat, but studying the third whisker on the cat's left side." LOL.

MeredithsMom
02-25-2005, 05:53 PM
I'll try that! Thanks, Kris!

mudder17
02-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Hee, hee. Your mom has a great sense of humor!

Hey, all it takes for you to review a diaper is to have a baby and the diaper and put them together until she pees and poops. :D

I look forward to your review.

Eileen

tarahsolazy
02-25-2005, 07:31 PM
I ordered some knitting needles from the UK, it was painless, and cheaper than here, even with shipping. I don't know about dipes though, way heavier, for certain. Must go google tots bots

KrisM
02-25-2005, 07:35 PM
>Hey, all it takes for you to review a diaper is to have a
>baby and the diaper and put them together until she pees and
>poops. :D

Which never takes long in a brand new diaper.

katydid1971
02-26-2005, 01:32 PM
I have ordered books from the UK and the shipping wasn't really anymore than shipping in the US. Watch out though because the dollar is really weak right now so its the exchange rate that will really get you. The nappies are very cute. I hope you like them.
Sarah
EDD May 20

MeredithsMom
02-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks, katydid!

You are right about the exchange rate, but even with the conversion the Tots Bots aren't TOO bad. The fitteds are 7 lbs 50p or around 15 bucks. Not great, but not the worst. I'll report back if I get some. :-)

MeredithsMom
02-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Okay, so I should do a whole new post about the diapers I've ordered in the past 4 days and how I need an intervention. Oh, the fluffy mail to come!!! I can hardly stand it.

And international fluffy mail at that . . . . I FINALLY found a place to get a couple of Tots Bots shipped to me (not too bad, pricewise, either). What was hard was (1) finding a place to ship to the US and (2) remaining under the 28 GPB money limit (it would cost much more to insure if over 28 lbs--in money not weight, LOL). Of course by the time I ordered the Tots Bots I'd pretty much gone over my limit anyway. :-)

Here's what I got, in case anyone would like to see. I will have to do a full review with pics once they get here.

1 Tots Bots fitted diaper w/aplix unbleached
1 Tots Bots fitted diaper w/o aplix in lime (they call this Nippa style, as in Nappi Nippa/Snappi needed). Hmm. I just realized that the only Snappis I have are pink and that my wedding was pink and green-themed. LOL. Meredith will be very Lilly Pulitzer for the spring.
1 Tots Bots fleece cover in dots
2 fleece-topped boosters

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22227.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22228.jpg

Nippa style (but in green)
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22229.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22230.jpg

Now I'm DONE . . . bwa ha haaaaaa!

p.s. www.totsbots.com is quite fun, complete with nappy demonstrations and Scottish accents. :-)

mudder17
02-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Okay, now these diapers are absolutely adorable--especially the dots. :) I'll have to check out the totsbots.com just for the Scottish accents. :D

DH does have a little Scottish ancestry, and we've always wanted to go there in August for the Bagpipe festival, but I'm not sure if that'll ever happen!

Eileen

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-27-2005, 07:00 PM
We ran into a mommy (English gal) with a girl slightly younger the T'ster and she also cloth diapered...she mentioned a website that she orders from that is english and I so wish I had kept track who it was.

Whe also used Motherease :)
It was neat to discuss CDing with her :)...she to was all into it!!!

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (22 months) and baby girl Bronwyn on the way due March 19th!!!!

KrisM
02-27-2005, 07:23 PM
I love the dots! I can't wait to hear how they work for you. How long do you expect it to take for them to get here?

MeredithsMom
02-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Yes, I love the dots! Most of the websites only had a plain red cover (which I could've resisted). One site had a pink polkadot PUL cover but it was sold out.

I have loads of English, Irish, and Scottish ancestry, so I guess it was inevitable. LOL. You would not believe all the diapers I've ordered. Yikes! But so much fun!

MeredithsMom
02-27-2005, 08:08 PM
I actually have no idea how long it'll take. Thank goodness I have other packages on the way. :-) I think the fitted + fleece cover will be awfully bulky, but I just couldn't resist those dots. Hope all is well with the sleeping front. We're into teething now, but Meredith is still doing okay.

MeredithsMom
02-27-2005, 08:11 PM
What fun! I love London. I ordered the Motherease intro package. Basically I just ordered a ton of dipes and will try to figure out what works and what doesn't. Wouldn't it be great if we could all actually try these dipes on our kids at a real store or something? :-)

p.s. I LOVE the name Bronwyn. It was one of our top contenders for names and then we chickened out. I think my husband was way too scared of what his parents would say ("What??? You're going to do what?" is pretty much their reaction to everything). So we went with a more common Welsh name, LOL. :-)

ktshea
02-28-2005, 01:55 AM
You ladies are a bad influence! I have tried to resist, but that polka-dot cover has sent me over the edge. DH is out of town on business and I need some retail therapy. This will fit the bill quite nicely. Did you call them to place your order? I didn't see anywhere to do it online...
Thanks!
Katie

MeredithsMom
02-28-2005, 07:59 AM
It is HARD to tracking these down, isn't it!? It seemed like most of the places I saw wouldn't ship to the US or required a call.

BUT then I found this site: http://www.ragbags.co.uk . The owner of the store had posted a review of Tots Bots on Diaper Pin. Anyway, there's no trouble ordering them completely online; just make sure that your order totals under 28 British pounds. If it's over that, then you need to e-mail them about shipping charges (it's insuring the package that costs more, I think), if not you go through just like a regular order. I used PayPal, but they had some other options. Also, b/c I use funded PayPal there was a note saying I'd get 2% off the total, which helps with those shipping costs (I think it was about $15 shipping total, but I ended up with two fitteds, a fleece cover, and two boosters for about $50 shipped, so I didn't think it was too too bad. And the reviews I've read on British message boards are just glowing--everyone loves these diapers! If you get a size 2 you can apparently use it birth to toddler.

Good luck!

Look at me, I'm a bad influence already. :-)

leahm
02-28-2005, 12:24 PM
I hardly ever post here but I am a faithful lurker. I bought two dozen tots bots and covers from ebay a year ago. They are some of my favorite dipes. The fleece covers are the very best for night, we have never had a leak. I only have the plain red, but the dots are just too cute! I also love the PUL covers. They are trim and stretchy so they fit perfectly over any diaper. But the diapers are by far the best. They are bulky but the terry is so soft and cute with no cover. They have been in constant use for a year now and still look great.

I hope you love your tots bots as much as we love ours!

Leah

MeredithsMom
02-28-2005, 01:04 PM
That is GREAT to hear!!!! Once I saw the Tots Bots and read some of the British reviews I couldn't stop thinking about them! They just look so comfy. If I love them I have a feeling that I'll be ordering more and stalking eBay. What a great score you got! It's great to know that they are holding up too.

Thanks so much for posting!

ktshea
02-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Heehee -- you're not really a bad influence, Joyce. I just need to be able to shift the blame off of me so when DH gets home I can say, "It wasn't my fault -- it was peer pressure! Everyone else has cute diapers!". :)

Thanks for the link. I was just going to get the polka dot cover, but shipping is going to be around $15 (must be a flat rate, b/c that's what yours was) so in order to make the shipping worth it I need to buy more stuff. Right? Doesn't that make sense? Oh my goodness, someone stop me. I'm on a diaper buying binge. I am going to slowly walk away from my computer and think this over rationally...

Katie

MeredithsMom
02-28-2005, 03:15 PM
I understand completely! LOL

I got my order of Tots Bots to total right around 25 lbs, so I had the same rationale (well, since they're coming from England anyway. . . ). As you can see, I am the last person to talk you down. :-)

MeredithsMom
03-02-2005, 09:59 AM
For anyone interested in these dipes, just thought I'd add that I found out that shipping will be less (via Rags Bags shop, airmail insured) than originally quoted on the site. It ended up being 4 pounds 20, or about $8. Not too bad considering you can pay $4 for shipping from American companies! There might be some better deals to be had via eBay sellers, too.

I received 2% off shipping for using funded PayPal, so add 2% to the shipping if not using PayPal.

:-)

I promise a full pictorial view once I receive these, as I will not be sending them back to England and can have my daughter model them without fear! LOL