PDA

View Full Version : How many diapers are in your active stash?

emelsea
02-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Someone (I'm sorry, my mommy brain can't remember who it was) recently made the comment "I finally have enough to only do pockets", and I am curious to know what that magic number is for everyone.

Also, how often do you do wash? At what point do you wash your dipes? Do you hang in there until the last diaper is dirty, or do you wash a load half-way through? I tend to wait so that I have a full load, and try to time it so that I can do that load after DS goes to bed at night when he would be in a disposable, anyway.

Momof3Labs
02-27-2005, 03:58 PM
We have about 12 pockets, 4 nighttime dipes and probably 2 dozen fitteds. I do laundry every 3 days, and we usually have 1-1.5 days of dipes available to let us leisurely fold the latest load.

mudder17
02-27-2005, 04:15 PM
I do laundry every 1.5-2 days, which is the time it takes to fill both dekors. That's about a full load, IMO. Whenever I do laundry, I have enough diapers left to last at least one more day, because sometimes I forget to go back and do the second cycle or transfer to the dryer.

Let's see, I think I have 4 fleece pockets, 2 night time fitted, 1 cotton pocket, I think 7-8 fitted/prefitted, and 3 AIOs that remain in the diaper bag for those few times she's changed outside the house. So that's maybe 14 diapers that I use constantly? I have to use prefolds at least twice a day, which I don't mind, except when she's extra wiggly. But I have a few more diapers coming in--3 fitted and another cotton pocket, so that should almost allow me to wash every 1.5-2 days and not have to use PFs at all, if I so choose. I think the magic number in my case would probably be 18 so that a dozen with all the stuffings and such would be in the wash and I'd still have 5-6 left to use while washing the others.

After much trial and error, what I consider a full wash is what fits in the two dekors. I've discovered that too many above that and the diapers don't get as clean.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Breastfed 1 Year -- Woohoo!

marinkitty
02-27-2005, 05:17 PM
We have 14 Baby Blanket pockets, 8 Daisy Doodles bikini cut AIO's and one FB in our "active stash." Plenty for washing every two days. If I don't get them stuffed/folded before I run out, I have three SP fitteds that I use to tide me over.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

egoldber
02-27-2005, 06:13 PM
For an older baby, I think that 18-24 is a good minimum number of total diapers to have. More than that just gives you extra room to futz around getting to the laundry. I washed diapers when my pail was full (how soon that is depends on the size of the diapers honestly) which, conveniently for me, was about the capacity of my washing machine.

jec2
02-27-2005, 07:06 PM
My stash is currently undergoing a major renovation. I just sold a dozen sugarpeas and am slowly (when i can afford it) buying new diapers to add back in.

But, we have

1 RB F.L.A.G. size 2
1 MEOS
2 S.O.S fitteds
2 Med. Mudpie Babies fitteds (getting a little low in the rise)
4 Fluffymail (both LC & FCB) size 2
aprox. 7 Elbees size medium (also getting little low in the rise)
6 Fuzzibunz med.
2 VBAIO (1 Med.Long & 1 Large--haven't tried the large on yet)
3 SP's size 1 (these don't really get used)

I used to wash every other day with probably a few extra dipes to spare just in case I got lazy. But, now that Finn is in daycare we don't CD fulltime. I wash every 3-4 days and it gets down to the wood in his diaper cabinet by the time I wash.

squimp
02-27-2005, 07:19 PM
I have 12 pockets and we do diaper laundry every 2 days. It's always way less than a full load.

6 FBs w/Cottonbabies inserts
4 Snap-EZ w/LizaJane nighttime
2 Greenacres w/cottonbabies or medium MOE (need better inserts for these)

The LJs and Cottonbabies inserts last 3 hours, so this number works fine for us, but I'm going to get a few more Snap-EZ, when I can decide on colors! I usually do laundry when I have only a few dipes left. Every once in a while, we fall behind on laundry and DD ends up in a sposie.

DD wears sposies at night (insert embarassed and sad smilies here)

KrisM
02-27-2005, 07:20 PM
I have 21 prefolds, 3 pockets for daytime and 3 pockets for night time. That gets me washing every third day with room to spare on the diapers. Until recently, I only had 18 prefolds and 3 night time pockets. I still washed every 3rd day, but had to start right in the morning and couldn't forget to continue the wash or I'd run out of prefolds. It just barely made it.

My 3 day time pockets are only used when we do changes away from home. They used to be night time dipes, but he outgrew the rise with night time stuffings. With just 1 JB, he can still wear them during the day. Nifty :).

tarahsolazy
02-27-2005, 07:24 PM
I have about 15 fitteds, 6 pockets, 2 nighttime diapers, 2 AIOs, and a zillion prefolds. We use 5 or so wool covers, two fleece, and a zillion Bummi's. We wash when our pail is full, which is about every 2 days or so.

3 Valor Kids
1 Loveybums
3 Sugarbums
3 Tykies
3 Sugarpeas side snaps
1 brand new Elbee Large (Thanks Lynne!)

1 Angelwraps AIO
1 Valor Kids AIO

4 Snap EZ
2 med FBs (gettin small in the rise)

cvharris
02-27-2005, 08:22 PM
We use about 3-4 dozen fitteds, 8 daytime pockets (PT Fuzzibunz), 8 PUL aios and 5 nighttime pockets (Large Fuzzibunz).

It's definitely more than enough - probably enough for a full week. I generally use only fitteds when we're at home so I can go through about 3 dozen in three days. I use pockets/aios when we're out and at night - we have days where we have a lot of activities and I'm using pockets/aios 5-6 times a day, so that accounts for the total number of those that we have (as well as those being DH's favorite type of diaper). I am really happy with this amount - I never have to worry about having enough of one kind and I do cycle through everything so that it is all used.

I wash every third day (if I go beyond that it there is too much to wash in one load).

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

Judegirl
02-27-2005, 09:51 PM
We use all pockets: 3 Ellas, 4 BabyBlankets and 12 FBs in our active stash. (3 Large FBs that I need to sell, never use.) I do the wash every 2 days - we usually have our BBs left (they don't fit her that well) at that point, and we've been using disposables at night lately. Dd is a heavy wetter, so I have a pretty full load at that point, with inserts.

HTH,
Jude

C99
02-27-2005, 11:09 PM
I think it depends on how old your baby is. We have 12 pockets + 3 nightttime dipes and I usually do laundry every other day. Although right now, I am using disposables because I cannot ask my husband to do diaper laundry on top of everything else right now.

daisymommy
02-27-2005, 11:48 PM
We have in our diaper drawers:

6 organic cotton SP fitteds
6 hemp SP fitteds
6 SP hemp Snap-Ins (to go in fleece and wool covers, making them an AIO).
Plenty of wool and fleece covers (10-12 maybe?)
8 FuzziBunz pockets
7 Happy Heiny pockets

I wash every 3 days. At this point my Sterlite diaper pail is totally full, and it makes for a half-full washer. We go thru 6-7 diapers a day, so thats about 18-21 diapers used by wash day. So, about 15 dipaers left in the drawer, or 2 days worth.

Nora
02-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Currently we're using 24 Fuzzi Bunz (medium) and as of yesterday 1 Starbunz and 1 Ella's pocket. Tomorrow I may have some new dipes since I've been on a roll for a week now ordering here and there...and very soon should be getting my stash of Large dipes assembled...some VB AIO's, some more Starbunz, Apron Strings AIO's, Daisy-Doodles, Snap-EZ AIO and of course some more of my beloved FB's! I know I'm forgetting another kind I just ordered - guess it'll be a surprise when it gets here.

I'm expecting DD#2 (her name is Melina) in 5 weeks and am already set with all the FB's we used last time. I think I had 18 small's and 6 size 0 Kissaluvs with WeeBee's side snap covers the we used until she fit into the small FB's. And I've ordered some of the same dipes listed above for Melina as well, so she and Big Sis can "match".

I wash every 2-3 (usually 2) days.

essnce629
02-28-2005, 12:30 AM
I just started CD'ing and my son is a light wetter so I only have 5 pockets right now. That gets us though exactly 1 day and night and I have to wash every day. I put the load in the wash as soon as I put him in the last diaper. I hope to build up to 12 pockets eventually which would last us 3 days. My son is 18 months old and because he is a light wetter he only needs to be changed 4 times a day-- when he wakes up, after breakfast, after lunch, and before bed (which is about every 4 hours). For inserts-- at night I use one MOE and one nighttime LJ, and during the day use either one MOE or one microfiber towel and some kind of hemp insert (JB or daytime LJ).

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif 18 months & counting! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

todzwife
02-28-2005, 12:49 AM
Please don't make me count...it's embarrassing ;) Let's just say "more than one child would need in a week..." BUT I have this many because I need to rotate them through so they won't get too worn...because they need to last though all the kids we plan to have (3 or 4). Yeah- that's it :P

toomanystrollers
02-28-2005, 08:56 AM

papal
02-28-2005, 09:54 AM
ROTFLMAO!!!
I was waiting to see what you would say PAM! Your answer is perfect. heehee. You crack me up!

writermama
02-28-2005, 11:02 AM
My stash isn't as interesting as most mama's, but it works for us. After trying a bunch of pockets, I switched to all Snap-EZ. I'd like to have a few other diapes for variety, but my DH and mom (frequent babysitter) kept getting nervous about not knowing which snaps to use with the other pockets and they were just sitting in the back of the drawer most of the time.

So, my stash:

17 Snap-EZ diapers with 2 more on order

Tons of insert options including microfiber towels, Snap-EZ inserts, MOE inserts, LJs, and infant IPFs and EPFs.

I try to wash when we have 5 clean diapers left, which is not only the number of diapers we tend to go through while washing and drying a load of diapers, but it's also the point at which the pail is almost completely full.

I also try to wash diapers after DD goes to bed -- or at least start the load and then do the extra rinse cycle(s) in the morning.

lizajane
02-28-2005, 02:32 PM
it was me! i was the one who said we finally have enough pockets to go with pockets only for schuyler.

schuyler's active stash:
5 large BB's with all nighttime LJs
5 large snap-ez with 4 nightime LJs and one daytime LJ with a JB
2 large FBs with daytime LJs and one JB
4 petite toddler FBs with nighttime LJs
(we just retired two old style PTs and these 4 will be too small soon)
6 premium prefolds and 6 large proraps, always worn with a 2 or 3 layer hemp fleece/microfleece topped doubler (we have 2 dozen more premium prefolds that we aren't currently using.)

dylan's active stash:
24 infant prefolds (used as burpeys, too)
13 kissaluv 0's (all borrowed! thanks!)
4 homemade prefitteds
1 size 1 front snap hemp sugarpeas fitted
2 medium snap-ez pockets stuffed with infant prefolds
11 small proraps

and i have a heap of snappis that i use for them both, and 3 dozen wipes that i use for them both- but we need a dozen more for wash day.

i wash every other day and i don't run out of dipes, but usually only have a few left for schuyler-unless it was just a school day and he wore crusiers. i usually have plenty left for dylan, who still sleep so much that he doesn't get changed as often as he will in another month.

pittsburghgirl
02-28-2005, 03:10 PM
My stash built up faster than I expected.

Fitteds:
2 M hemp SS SugarPeas
1 M OC SS SugarPeas
2 hemp size 2 front snap SP's
3 Cuddlebuns (ebay)
1 Sugarplumbaby front snap hemp
1 Crystals Cloth front snap
1 Schnooglywear front snap
on the way: 2 Benjamuffins Night and 1 BenjM Day from Fluff Factory auction

Prefolds (experiment, haven't gotten the hang of the snappi)
1 Premium CPF
1 Toddler CPF
6 premium UBIPF
1 toddler UBIPF

Pockets:
4 PT FB's
1 large FB
2 large Snap-EZ
1 large BB
2 large HH
1 Schooglywear
1 Green Acre Designs Cloth-Ease
1 fleece VB

AIOs
1 Jellybeans
1 Bum-ware
4 Calico Baby
1 Daisy-doodles (destined for swap, not enough dipe to hold in the floods!)
1 VB med-long

Covers
1 SP merino
1 SP fleece
4 Bummis SWW
1 Prorap
1 Bummis whisper pant
1 Bumpy Day

Soakers/Longies:
1 BJ Marketplace soaker shorts
1 cashmere longies
1 Green Mt Wee Woolie longies
and 2 reusabums longies on the way and one semi-custom soaker from Fluff Factory Auction (no one else was bidding on it so I had to :)

I do laundry every third day now. I am not really using my PUL covers other than the bumpy day occasionally. I am on a wool kick, and use either pockets or AIOs outside the house. DH is using pockets on the weekends. We haven't tried night-time yet; that prompted the BenjM purchase.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

kensjen
02-28-2005, 04:38 PM
There is NO WAY I am counting! ;) LOL

I usually wash every other day, because that is when my pail is full, and also I LOVE diaper laundry! I look forward to washing the cute little dipes.

I am sure I have enough to get through a week, or maybe it would be a week if you all came over and used them too.....LOL....I don't know!

I am trying to clear out some dipes and wool now, just so I don't feel so bad about the new stuff I have bought. hehe

I love reading these posts, cracks me up!

rrosen
02-28-2005, 06:25 PM
>There is NO WAY I am counting! ;) LOL
>
Yup! I am taking the fifth on this one too! I like variety, so I have pockets, fitteds, AIOs and prefolds. And I am a sucker for a cute print :)

holliam
02-28-2005, 07:53 PM
My poor diapers.. the only action they see is when I re-arrange them on all the shelves around the house. Or, when I turn on them and decide that non QD is not going to hack it in my house.

But, I am so not counting anything in my stash! I don't think they'd allow a number that high on a site called "Baby Bargains"!

Holli

mudder17
02-28-2005, 09:58 PM
I had exactly the same reaction Rashmi! :D

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Breastfed 1 Year -- Woohoo!

toomanystrollers
02-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Jen has about 550 diapers :P

toomanystrollers
02-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Just had to see if anyone was paying attention - MUWAHAA }(

pritchettzoo
02-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Ahem, Jen dear, what wool are you clearing out? ;)

I'll list my (active in rotation) stash:
10-12 Fluffy Mail dipes
2 Mudpie fitteds, 1 AIO
3 Tykie fitteds
2 Loveybums
1 Sugarplumbaby
lots of FLAGs (will have to count, but 10?)
3 ME Airflows
2 Bumpy Days (but they need to be replaced with longer rise covers)
1 FLAG wool cover
1 Sugarpeas wool cover
2 Sugarpeas fleece covers
1 bee-yoo-tee-ful Toomanystrollers wool soaker

I wash every other day. I have a frontloader that's giving me fits. Gracie also pees like it's going out of style, so we can't go much longer without delving into the INactive stash. ;) I guess with Junior we're going to be washing every day! Thank goodness DH is not averse to diaper laundry.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

nitaghei
03-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Okay, I'll play. I do wash twice a week. We CD full-time, even at daycare. Our stash is mostly pockets, with a few AIOs and fitteds. I like using the fitteds on weekends, for a change of pace. :)

Pockets:
7 Babyblankets
3 Snapping turtles (one fleece)
1 Knickernappie
1 Doodlebottom (fleece)
2 Diaperworks (fleece)
1 PT Fuzzibunz (back-up at daycare, really doesn't fit DS). We also have 4 other PT FBs that I need to sell - not active anymore.

AIOs:
3 Daisydoodles (with extra inserts, so can become 6 dipes)
2 Little Lambs (our oldest, most used dipes, still going strong)

Fitteds/ Covers
2 Doodlebottoms
1 Motherease one-size
1 Motherease Airflow
1 Sugarpeas fleece

I also have a snap-in insert that cnoverts the SP cover to an AIO, which we do use. Also a Size 2 front snapping SP, which is huge, even now, and used only if I run out of absolutely everything else.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

MomToCaroline
03-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Hmm, not sure I ever posted my dipe stash here. I've been a long time silent member, just started posting regularly in the last few months. Anyway, here's my stash. Simple and basic, but works for us.

Most Used Dipes:
Dozen Indian Prefolds
6 Dyed Indian Prefolds
A buncha covers

Fitteds (usually save these for trips out and about):
2 Muttaqin Baby
1 Righteous Baby
1 Prefitted from Grown Me a Rainbow

Pockets
16 Fuzzi Bunz with stuffins
Our nanny uses these and this is our nighttime dipe too.

We have a few AIOs but I didn't list them, I really don't care for them much. I just got a number from Elbee, #418! Wahoo, guess they'll be for babe #2!

Generally we wash every other day, sometimes 3 days. If I go longer than 2 days, I think our machine is too full so the dipes aren't getting rinsed really well and we get build up issues.