PDA

View Full Version : The Great Cloth Diaper Experiment '05

MeredithsMom
02-28-2005, 09:38 AM
AKA "I may need an intervention!"

After rotating in my only two cloth diapers (one FB and one BB, I STILL can't figure out the prefold b/c it's so BIG on DD) with the sposies for a couple of weeks, I am convinced to make the switch to cloth. I even got DH to read the Diaper Drama on www.diaperhyena.com and his response was "cloth all the way!" Woo-hoo!!!

Then I went a *little* crazy ordering diapers (after cross-referencing reviews here in the archives, comments at MDC, and reviews at www.diaperpin.com). As I said, I went (or am in fact currently) a little mad. My notion is that I will be able to "disqualify" some of the diapers as soon as they get here if there's an obvious fit problem; then I can send them back or sell them if the problem becomes apparent only after DD has worn them a couple of times. Then, I can get more of what I like. Does that make sense? I mean, it's not like we can go to an actual store and try them on. Wouldn't that be terrific?

I'm still uncertain of a few things. I'm nervous about the hemp, for one, since I've read about The Stink and clearly remember Rashmi writing "no hemp = no stink." It seems like an all-cotton system would be easier for that reason, but hemp is much more absorbent, right? I'm also not sure if I'll want a mainly PUL cover system or wool, or both for different times. We currently have about 200 sposies (DH was recently at Costco) and will use those for our April trip to Disney World and at night; when they start to get low, I'll evaluate whether I'm ready for the nightime CD challenge. I also ordered a few AIOs/pockets for outings.

So, I just thought I'd make a fun list here of all the fluffy mail I'm awaiting (b/c seriously, I've lost track and will go through my e-mail confirmations to remember it all); that way I can keep a log of what works and what doesn't, then include pics of "the winners." I know that there are already many posts like this, but I LOVED reading them over the last few weeks, plus I'm excited to write down what I thought and maybe have someone who's interested in my babbling! DH is gung-ho for CDs, but I think if I say one more word to him he'll explode. I just can't stop talking about them.

Any tips or experience with the diapers welcome; if I've made a serious boo-boo, let me know that too. DD is a very long and lean 6 1/2 month old--17 lbs and 28". She's not a heavy, heavy wetter.

Here we go . . . DIAPERPALOOZA '05

Fitted Diapers
SugarPeas irregular Side Snap Peas Celery Small/Medium
SugarPeas irregular Size 2 Hemp with Plum Trim (got these at the outlet w/free shipping)
MotherEase Introductory Package (includes cover)
Imse Vimse one size fitted diaper (didn't see these reviewed anywhere)
Kissaluvs Size 1 w/ doubler
Firefly Day
Loveybums Organic Cotton w/sherpa doubler
2 Tots Bots, 1 aplix 1 Snappi-style

Covers
Imse Vimse Bumpy Night (got it for day)
Bummis Super Whisper Wrap (exchanged a Bumkins I didn't like for this and will attempt the prefold again)
Prorap Colors Pink
Imse Vimse Bumpy Wool
Kiwi Pie Pink Organic Wool cover (this was a BBB swap purchase--couldn't resist)
Tots Bots fleece cover

AIOs
Baby SoftWraps-in-one
2 Very Baby AIOS (one fleece, one PUL)

Misc.
Imse Vimse Rice Paper Flushable Liners
Eucalan
(will get a pail liner for my Diaper Dekor Plus later)

I *think* I found most of the criticisms of these diapers in the archives (i.e. Kissaluvs not too absorbent but soft, MotherEase effective but poofy), but I suppose my approach is to see a wide selection and in various price points. Maybe for once in my life I'll like the cheaper options ("Hey, I actually like this Proraps better than the Kiwi Pie" BWA HA HA). Or, perhaps a one-size option can work for daytime, when we're home mostly anyway and don't care about poofiness.

Whew! They say admitting you have a problem is the first step . . . . :-) Thanks for reading.

papal
02-28-2005, 09:51 AM
LOL Joyce! Looks like you are going slightly insane with the diaper researching. ;)
I just wanted to say, that the No Hemp = No Stink only worked for me. Many many people use the hemp with no problems.
We actually have a Benjamuffin Night that I recently discovered was hemp and have had no stink issues with it.
So you might want to try some hemp and see if it works for you.

Oh, another thing, if you have Xcel, i find it easy to keep track of the madness, if i track my diapers in a Diaper Roster. I have columns for Name, Size, WAHM name, Website, Price Paid, Used/New, Price Sold etc.

MMEand1
02-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Did you get a mini-shower? We just got one and it is a cinch to hook up and we love it!!
Looks like you will have a lot of fun trying out your new diapers!!
Mariah P.

MeredithsMom
02-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Yes, I really should've have "outed" my insanity, but I figured the ladies here would be understanding. Who knows? Maybe I'll figure out the prefold after all and sell off all this stash. :-)

Thanks for clarifying the hemp/stink issue. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes with our water and laundering system.

Great tip on the Excel--I was actually thinking of doing that. Especially since then I can see the price at a glance and perhaps I'll like some of the less expensive dipes just as well if not better. No sense getting hooked on Fireflys if I like something cheaper, right?

Thanks again!

MeredithsMom
02-28-2005, 10:11 AM
That's one thing I didn't order (maybe the only thing--LOL) but am thinking about. I guess I just want to see how it goes first (but maybe it would go much more easily with the minishower!). I have cleaned a couple of icky poops off the two dipes I have and, while it wasn't the most fun I've ever had, it wasn't too bad either. Perhaps I'll use my peri bottle to spray the poops and, after sticking with the diapering for awhile, get the mini shower.

Thanks for the tip!

pittsburghgirl
02-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Love it! What a great list of things to try. I did something similar although more slowly, until I found what I like. So I have a very random stash. I did just order the minishower after a month of peanut butter poops!

Now I'm venturing into wool and not as slowly as I did diapers. I am having a great time.

Enjoy!

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

mudder17
02-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Oh Joyce, I'm having so much fun through your experiences! :D It's great that even if your DH doesn't want to listen to your ramblings anymore, he's totally supportive of eventually going all cloth! And we're always around to listen to your ramblings... ;-)

Many of us have done our own versions of experiments and yes, many of us would admit (to each other, probably) that we are addicted. But I don't know if anyone has done it quite as thoroughly as you have! It's very nice to have a former English Lit researcher to do these things for us, heh, heh.

And of coures, the ImseVimse and the TotsBots are completely unique diapers around here--talk about Mission Impossible! :D I'm definitely curious what you think of those diapers.

For the newborn stage, or at least the stage of changing diapers very often, I definitely preferred the cheaper options such as proraps and prefolds. I didn't even need fleece liners because she was being changed so often. But now that she's older and wearing those diapers for longer, and she's also a heavier wetter, wool or fleece has supplanted the PUL covers, I have fleece lining everything, including my ultrasoft velour dipes, and I've decided I don't care about trimness.

Welcome to the Dark Side, Bwa ha ha ha....

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Breastfed 1 Year -- Woohoo!

KrisM
02-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Joyce,

It sounds like you're having so much fun! I'm jealous of all the cool stuff you'll soon have. I can't wait to hear your reveiws and what you like and dislike.

MeredithsMom
02-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Marilee--
Ooh, peanut butter poop. I am intimately familiar with it. There is nothing solid about a 6 1/2-mo-old's poop (she just started solids last week). A mini-shower might be just the thing.

Have fun with the wool!

Eileen--
I am so glad that you are getting a kick out of my crazy spending. LOL. DH hasn't said he won't listen to me anymore, but you know how you just kinda get that feeling that you're going on too much about one certain thing? At least he's not having to listen to all the breastfeeding agonizing we had in the beginning.

As for thoroughness, I'm just a crazy researcher as you know. If my old professors could see me now. :-) The only problem with getting so much so soon is I won't have as much to research and explore later. Ha ha. Actually, I am just anxious to get a full-time stash going, and I think over-ordering to figure out what's good (and sending some back/selling) will get me there faster.

Fortunately, I have recently MADE money by selling many of my old books on Half.com. I finally got DH to relinquish some of his books and made $500 in 6 weeks. Not that I need to spend ALL that, of course, but I have it to play with and can put $45 bucks a month back when the dust settles and we're not buying sposies anymore. Yay!

Yes, I can't wait to see the ImseVimse fitteds and the TotsBots. I can remember reading the Mission Impossible threads and thinking "I don't understand what the game is?" I've become corrupted way too quickly. Anyway, I'm skeptical of the Imse Vimses (bulkiness?) but I want to give the one sizes a shot as it will save money over buying 2 sizes of everything.

I like your system of wool/fleece everything. I think that would be the most breatheable, right? Then I could always use a PUL AIO or pocket for outings. Who cares about bulkiness at home? My DD is so skinny anyway, she could use a bubble butt and I'm sure my DH would have fun singing Sir Mix-a-lot to her. :-)

Kris--
As I was saying to Eileen above, I'm just lucky that I have an initial wad of cash to spend, though I need to put it back as time goes on. I also still find the prefold/cover idea very appealing for home. What a way to save money (and customize fit!). I think I finally figured out the prefold on Meredith this morning (of course I took it off b/c I sent my Bumkins cover back for a Bummis and hence have no covers). I was able to Snappi and everything. So, we'll see. I'd much rather love the prefolds than the Firefly fitteds, LOL.

KrisM
02-28-2005, 02:05 PM
We started as a newborn, so I didn't want too much fun stuff, since it's on the expensive side and I'm cheap, um frugal. Yeah, frugal is a better word. Anyhow, we did prefolds and covers with 3 FB for night for months. Now that he's slowing down the weight gain, I've branched out a bit. We have a fleece cover, a 2nd is on the way, and am getting another one. We do fleece pockets at night instead of FB. I still do prefolds though. I never got into the fitteds. I do use my outgrown-for-night FB for daytime pockets now. That is nice for easy changing. I even have red, blue, and green prefolds. It makes me happy to see the bright colors on him :).

Practice helps with the prefolds, that's for sure. We were watching a video of when Andrew was about 1 month. I was changing him. I swear it took me 5 minutes to do a diaper change! Now, it's probably 2 minutes, including dressing him again. That also includes him rolling to his stomach and trying to stand up on the changing table :). I can get the prefold on when he's standing, sitting, or laying down now.

lizajane
02-28-2005, 02:16 PM
you are absolutely hilarious and you sound just like the kind of person i would hang out with! too funny...

i think you actually have a good amount of things to try out! it isn't like you bought 12 of everything! and the idea of sell off what you don't like is perfect.

i got prefolds and proraps and fuzzibunz for nighttime for schuyler because that is what my cd friend said she liked the best. i would have bought more expensive covers if she said i just had to have a certain thing, but she said she liked the cheapest stuff the best, and her son was big like i knew mine would be, so i started cheap first and figured i would spend more if i didn't like what i had. but i liked everything just fine! i actually tried to branch out to more expensive covers and i hated all of them! i do love my pockets, but lately, they haven't been working so well for us. so we are back to using our prefolds a lot again.

anyway. can't wait to hear all your reviews. it will be fun!! (and you will save tons of $$ over sposies, even if you do get some fun stuff, and especially if you have another kid!!)

MeredithsMom
02-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks, Liza. I did go a little nuts. :-)

That's great that prefolds and Proraps are serving you well. I am really hoping that I can get used to those and just keep a few fun dipes/covers around. Making an entire stash of pockets/fitteds would definitely cost more. Since I was able to get a prefold on pretty well this morning (but didn't "test" it since no cover) I have more faith that that might work.

I cannot believe it, but I already got my Natural Babies order this afternoon! I ordered from there Friday evening. Incredible!!

Initial impressions . . . quick b/c DD will be done napping soon.

Kissaluvs fitted + doubler. So soft!!! I wish they didn't get such bad marks for absorbancy, b/c they are just scrumptious. I may keep them just to try--they seem like they would fit DD (she needs to wake up and try some things on!).

Proraps Pink. The belt on the velcro is just hysterical. I actually like this. Maybe it will be prefolds and proraps after all! I'm dying to put this and a prefold on DD (since I've had my 2 prefolds for a while and they're all quilted up already). Since I have other covers coming maybe I should wait.

Imse Vimse fitted. I'll check this out more in a bit, but man is it HUGE. It says one size, but I'm not quite sure how it's supposed to be smaller and no instructions. I'm off to look at their website (which is in Swedish--yikes).

A sample of two Baby Bits was also included. Yippee!!!

mudder17
02-28-2005, 07:19 PM
LOL, about the Swedish--that can get your research juices flowing. :)

I used prefolds and covers for at least 6 months, almost exclusively, except the dozen Kissaluv 0s at the beginning. It worked very well and since Kaya grew so quickly for the first 4 months, it was definitely the economical way to go. After her growth slowed down AND she started solids, I started branching out, mostly for the fun, but also, now that she's wiggles so much, trying to find diapers that snap on very quickly.

I have figured out, finally, that some of my fleece/wool covers do actually work well with a quadruple-folded Premium PF. So I've laid those out with the prefolded PFs (forgive the alliteration?...something like that) and a fleece liner, so that in the morning, I can just grab the combo and slap it on her. I actually changed her this afternoon after a poop, but she was going to bed in about 1.5 hours, so I didn't want to "waste" a good diaper on her. So I grabbed one of these and put it on her and brought her back into the living room. DH looks up from his computer and said, "You changed her already?" :) It certainly does speed things up with a rolling, crawling, struggling almost toddler when you don't have to snappi!

I still prefer the snappi method when I know she's going to poop, but it definitely is a struggle these days, especially when she's getting tired.

I've never liked one-size diapers, because they just don't fit well on Kaya. Even now that she's bigger, and I don't have to fold down the flap, I don't like the way the MEOS fits her--although she outgrew it's absorbancy long ago!

I LOVE Baby Bits--Amy (Daisygirl) clued me in on those and I have the solutions sitting in my peri bottles and water bottles in my diaper bag. It smells really nice and I think it helps keep Kaya's bottom from drying out. Plus, I like that it is slightly antiseptic.

Anyway, look forward to your review and pictures of modeled diapers!

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Breastfed 1 Year -- Woohoo!

MeredithsMom
03-01-2005, 11:54 AM
For anyone curious about this diaper, I figured out how to adjust the settings (with the help of pictures on the Swedish site and some common sense). I think that I will return this one, however. I'm not sure how absorbent it would be (the material feels like flannel). Of course, who am I to judge absorbency yet? It didn't seem to be a good fit on Meredith, but I was trying it on over a sposie. If anyone knows how I can check for fit with all these dipes and keep them in returnable condition (aside from praying) please let me know. :-)

Here are the pics; oh, it retails for $10.95. I put a Snappi next to it for relative size:

On the largest setting:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22323.jpg

Insides (largest setting):

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22324.jpg

Medium setting (the snaps on the front fold down on each other, second pic)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22325.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22326.jpg

Smallest setting:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22327.jpg

One problem even I can see is that on the smallest setting the velcro folds back onto the baby's tummy. All in all, though, it was fun to check out and might work for some. Sorry no baby model--the model is sleeping and, as I said, I was afraid to really try it on her for very long since I want to return it!

mudder17
03-01-2005, 12:54 PM
If you really want to try it on her, you could try using a doubler rather than a sposie. That will help a little. Or if you happen to have one of those speedo diapers. :) Just wait until right after she pees. ;-)

This looks like an okay diaper, but I don't think it would work for us. Like I've said before, we've never had much look with one-size diapers.

Actually, there does appear to be one exception--the KindHearted Women two-size diapers? They're sort of like the sugar peas front snapping, but they seem to fit Kaya much better than the SP's.

Anyway, have fun! :)

Eileen

american_mama
03-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Joyce: You are about two weeks ahead of me in this game. I read your earlier post and learned from it; I have fluffy mail on its way to me now; and soon I will be putting my first cloth dipe on DD. Actually, I got my first package yesterday and realized why it ws called fluffy mail.

At the cost of much time, I am building my initial stash based on prefolds, wraps, and pockets. I';m buying all used to begin with: my outlay with shipping has been under $85 for a dozen prefolds, a dozen prefold inserts, 3 pockets, 3 wraps, and a few accessories. I like the pocket idea best because it seems the simplest; we'll see when it gets here. I am pretty clueless when it comes to inserts; haven't researched those yet.

My husband knows I am doing this, I think, but I am keeping a low profile because everything I do related to diapers takes away from the much more important task of... buying our first home. I keep being intimidated about researching mortgages, but then I think, "Karen, you've learned this alphabet soup of cloth diapers, surely you can do the same with mortgages." And then I go back to reading about cloth dipes!

Oh, BTW, we considered naming Annelise Meredith as well. And I actually know some Swedish due to study abroad there years ago, so send me the Imswe vimse website and yours question if you need any help.

MeredithsMom
03-02-2005, 08:00 AM
Good tip about trying with a doubler. I do have one of those, so maybe that will help. Now that the Natural Babies order came so quickly, I'm more anxious for packages to arrive. No fluffy mail yesterday, but perhaps my birthday today will bring me good luck and lots of parcels! :-)

I saw the KindHearted Women site--cute stuff. I love the cat logo too.

:-)

MeredithsMom
03-02-2005, 08:12 AM
I am so glad that you enjoyed reading my post! Just writing it helped me get a little more organized. We should definitely compare notes once all our fluffy mail gets here! I had actually been hemming and hawing about CDing for several weeks; then I purchased two pocket dipes and two prefolds, used the pockets, and hemmed and hawed some more. Suddenly, though, I realized I really wanted to give it a shot. That's when I lost all sense and went on a mad spending spree. LOL

You have gotten some excellent deals! I have spent way too much money buying things new (well, a few used things), but I'm thinking I can return things that have an obvious fit problem. Although, you can definitely resell any used items you have as well.

I am having so much fun researching and I could certainly be doing other things with my spare time too. Good luck with those mortgages. I believe you can figure it out if you can make sense of the crazy diaper world. I like to think I'm a fairly intelligent person but it took me a LONG time to figure out what went with what (oh, you need a cover for a fitted?, etc).

As for pockets, they are very easy (in my limited experience). I have a Fuzzi Bunz and a Baby Blanket and then a hemp insert for each. I do know that many people use prefolds for inserts too, or microfiber towels, so you can try that out before getting any hemp (which you may or may not want to do in the end anyway). I'm pretty sure that if I end up favoring the Fuzzi Bunz that I'll get them from Cotton Babies where they come with a free microfiber insert.

Thanks for posting, and let me know how it goes! I will do the same! I realized after my first 2-dipe mini-experiment that the main thing giving me pause was the poop factor. Then Meredith pooped in her Baby Blanket and it wasn't so bad. I mean, it's not like poop in a sposie isn't gross, right?

Good luck!!!

p.s. Love the name Annelise! How pretty.
p.p.s. You can definitely conquer mortgages if you can learn Swedish!

mudder17
03-02-2005, 08:35 AM
There's nothing I like better than fluffy mail, especially on my birthday, although I haven't gotten anything on my birthday yet. HOWEVER, remember how I had to spend Kaya's birthday without DH? We ended up getting the 3 apron string pockets the day after her birthday. It would have arrived on her birthday, but the mailman screwed up. Anyway, it was a fun package for me...er her! ;-)

I really like my KHW diaper and hope I can find more sometime.

Eileen

KrisM
03-02-2005, 09:03 AM
I hope you have a great, fluffy day :).

I also use a doubler and go fast(!) when I try on new dipes. Well, when DS tries on new dipes.

I'll be interested to hear what you end up using in the long run. You're trying so many things!

pittsburghgirl
03-02-2005, 09:18 AM
I have been enjoying reading about the experience. Karen a bit of a barge, but I love your DD's names! My best friend's name is Anneliese and that is in the running for us if we ever have a DD.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

MeredithsMom
03-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Today was a BIG day for fluffy mail--four packages.

So far, here's what I'm thinking:

RETURNING--
Proraps Color
Kissaluvs Size 1
Imse Vimse Fitted 1-size

KEEPING--
LoveyBums organic fitted w/ 2 sherpa doublers
Firefly organic fitted
Bumpy Wool

WAFFLING ON--
BabySoft wraps-in-one
Very Baby Fleece AIO (from Bumblebuns)

My first impressions are that the AIOs are SO bulky. I guess I expected the Very Baby fleece AIO to be so, since isn't that the nature of fleece in general? Since I was mainly thinking of AIOs for outings, it kind of defeats the purpose if they don't fit under clothes. I think (1) I'm used to a sposie and nothing will ever be THAT trim and (2) my only CD experiences thus far under clothes have been FBs and BBs. Now I see that they are pretty trim! With that said, the Fleece VB is beautiful (especially inside) and maybe it is worth keeping for around-the-house wear??? I'm not too sure about the BabySoft Wraps in-one either. Very nice and cute, but bulky.

As for the Fireflys, I'm IN LOVE. Yikes. I have had expensive taste my whole life (and little budget to go with it), so why should this be any different? LOL. I like the Bumpy Wool lots too.

Here are a few pics-- As always, any advice is welcome and appreciated!!! Note DD's fascination with her hair brush. As you can see, it is for playing, not brushing. LOL. I did just brush her hair, but unless she's just had a bath you can't tell whether I've brushed it or not. Yikes!

Very Baby Fleece AIO
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22407.jpg

Inside of Very Baby
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22402.jpg

Baby Soft Wraps-in-one
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22403.jpg

Firefly fitted
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22404.jpg

Firefly fitted
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22405.jpg

Firefly fitted under Bumpy Wool
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22406.jpg

mudder17
03-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Wow, she is adorable with all that hair! She makes a very cute looking diaper model. :)

Let's see...

I'm not surprised you're sending back the proraps color. I could have told you that I really didn't like them--they left marks on DD's legs! The plain white proraps did not, though. They are much softer and stretchier than the color ones and I definitely prefer them, even if they're plain. And they pretty trim for fitting under clothes. :)

The firefly fitted looks VERY nice on her. I'm amazed at how trim they are! Hmm...I don't think I'll further investigate or I might end up with an overnight firefly, LOL!

The baby soft wraps-in-one (I assume it's an AIO?) looks like it's just on the big side for her, but maybe that's good and she'll grow into them?

As for the Very Baby Fleece AIO, well, I have a very good home for them, if you don't want them. ;-) Actually, I assume they probably wouldn't fit (Kaya's in a large with most diapers these days), but your picture does make me think maybe I should further investigate them. :) It looks like a very comfy diaper!

I have a bumpy wool, but as Kaya was outgrowing them, they did leave red marks on her thighs, but she has the curse of the chunky thighs...

Excellent progress! Can't wait to read & see further reviews! :)

Eileen

ktshea
03-04-2005, 02:55 AM
Your DD is so cute! And she's such a great model! She looks like she enjoys diaper changes WAYYY more than my DD. :) Thanks for sharing your pics and reviews.

That Very Baby looks really nice. Like Eileen, I would be willing to give that dipe a good home if it needs one.

Slightly OT: I chickened out on the Tots Bots for now (I wouldn't be ordering a bunch so shipping was going to be a bit spendy), so now I'm really looking forward to your review of those. I don't know about you, but I'm really enjoying your Great Cloth Diaper Experiment!
Katie

new_mommy25
03-04-2005, 03:00 AM
I know I've said it before but your DD is so freaking cute!!

MeredithsMom
03-04-2005, 07:31 AM
Hi Katie--

Well, you're not seeing the outtakes of our photo session. :-) She was in a particularly good mood. She actually used to LOVE diaper changes (would get excited and kick when placed on the changing table) but now she has a love/hate relationship with them.

LOL. Between you and Eileen I'm thinking I should keep the Very Baby. If everyone else likes it, it must be good. :-) I really am in love with the paisley inside (even my husband gave that a big "ooooh!") so I think it'll stay. I'll keep you posted though. I have two other Very Baby's coming so I'll wait to wash this one until I see the others.

I don't know if you saw my updated UK post, but the Tots Bots shipping turned out to be much less than quoted on the site. Lisa from Rags Bags contacted me and said that I could choose between air mail insured for just over 4 lbs (8 bucks) or slow boat to US by way of China for 2 lbs. (8-10 weeks). I thought $8 was pretty good considering I regularly pay $4 for US shipping (OT: I LOATHE shipping costs and this diaper experiment is the first time in YEARS that I've paid them). Since I ordered them already, though, I'll give you the scoop and let you know if they're worth it.

I'm loving the experiment. Fortunately I've been able to identify some things to send back already, especially since I've orderred a few more.

UPDATE:

Sending back the Baby Soft Wraps

Also ordered in the last few days:
6 IPFs from Montana's Diaper Store
1 Bumware AIO
1 Aristocrats
1 Minishower (and I got free shipping on those last two!) I was going to wait to see how things went before getting the Minishower, but I figure why torture myself? Meredith's poop is the antithesis of sold--TMI, I know :-)

Way, way too much fun!!!! I need to sell some books on Half.com now.

MeredithsMom
03-04-2005, 07:33 AM
Aww--you're so nice! Noah's not so bad himself! :-) I LOVE the pics of him in the box, and with the wad o' cash. LOL

KrisM
03-04-2005, 07:53 AM
What a gorgeous model you have!

The Firefly looks really great and trim. I've always thought they looked interesting, but then remember I don't really like fitteds. Good thing I have inexpensive taste :).

I'm glad you're having so much fun.

MeredithsMom
03-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Ha ha, Kris. Why do you think I ordered the IPFs. I'm hoping against hope that they will save me from myself and I can fill out my stash with them. :-) DH said yesterday though that he just "can't" do the prefolds. He's all about fitteds. At least he's okay with that!

The Fireflys are pretty awesome. I love the quick dry feature and how the soakers are sewn in on opposite sides. DH loved that too--not as confusing as snaps, apparently. Bless his heart. He is still very confused by all the options and has told me once I have the system in place to give him a lesson. :-)

KrisM
03-04-2005, 01:33 PM
My DH does prefolds :). Of course, it is mostly what we use, so he has to. When we used the Kissaluv Os, he did prefer those, but now does PFs as good as I do. In fact, he wonders why more people don't use cloth, since we're saving money, even on our 1st kid, and they're so easy (prefolds!). I'm really lucky that he feels that way.

mudder17
03-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Now that Kaya is wiggly, we both like to use fitteds or pockets. However, before that point, DH often reached for PFs before he reached for anything else. Maybe it's because they were in the drawer closest to the changing area and he just reached for them? In any case, I know I'm lucky because DH was snappi'ing with all sorts of tricks well before I did (I was on 2 weeks limited movements, so no lifting).

Eileen