PDA

View Full Version : Stinky diapers after two heavy duty washes

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-01-2005, 05:40 PM
I have never followed stinky diaper threads for I was never convinced we had stinky diapers...but we have stinky diapers...
what do I do???

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (24 months) and baby girl Bronwyn on the way due March 19th!!!!

Momof3Labs
03-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Neve, do you have hard or soft water? How much detergent do you use?

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-01-2005, 06:41 PM
I don't know what kind of water I have...how do I find out????
I use 1/2 the detergent and the second run I used 1/4...

the diapers had sat in the pail awhile so I wonder if that gave them time to marinate some...

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (24 months) and baby girl Bronwyn on the way due March 19th!!!!

Momof3Labs
03-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Soft water feels "slippery" - like it is harder to rinse off after a shower. Hard water doesn't, and tends to leave mineral deposits on fixtures. Pam posted a map of the U.S. with water hardness ratings that was bumped up recently - I'll see if I can find that to help you.

In both cases, though, you may be using too much detergent - unless your water is very VERY hard. I have very hard water and use about 2/3 a capful in the first wash, and nothing in the second (to help rinse all the soap out). I'm kinda suspecting that you have build-up...

ETA: Bumped up the map. It shows that you have VERY soft water in NC, which means that maybe 1/8 capful of detergent TOTAL is more appropriate for you, give or take a little. Yeah, I definitely suspect detergent build-up now... What are you using these days that stinks?

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-01-2005, 11:02 PM
when I read the mineral deposits I would have guessed that we have very hard water then (I never knew the difference), I'll go check out the map but am suprised from the descriptions that ours is considered "soft"...

It's my BB pockets and PFs that are stinking...but I did leave them for while and I unstuff them at wash time and probably should start unstuffing them prior to that when I throw them into the bin. Steve tends to grabs sposies lately so wash time is not as often...

Neve

holliam
03-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Neve, I'm not sure that map is entirely accurate. I have extremely soft water in Cary, but I have a friend in Raleigh with very hard water. I think there are some area fluctuations for whatever reason.

Holli

Momof3Labs
03-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Is it just me, or is that water map 30 years old??? Something about 1975 water - so maybe that's why it is off!

holliam
03-02-2005, 03:08 PM
LOL! I didn't even notice the date. I cannot figure out why there is so much variability in our area. I was really surprised this mama had such hard water when ours is like butter!

Holli

marinkitty
03-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Neve - No real advice, just commiserating with you. We got the stink when I washed Mia's dipes up at my parent's cottage which has well water (soft) and without realizing it I used the same 1/2 amount of detergent with my hard water at home, and I think it took me a dozen washes to totally solve the problem. Luckily, once solved, I haven't had the problem again, but it was so frustrating! I hope you can figure it out quickly.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)
Another March baby EDD (3.22.05)

http://lilypie.com/days/050322/0/0/1/-6/.png

squimp
03-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Geology doesn't change that much over 20 years, though. The main problem with the map is that the scale is way too coarse to make a decision about your specific water quality. The map is generally correct, though, with dry areas in the west and big limestone areas all over the place having higher hardness levels. But it misses some key spots, like limestones in east TN where I grew up, that are certainly harder than my current water in western Oregon, but are the same on that map.

And another issue is that people as individuals use water softeners in areas where they have hard water, and although the map might say you have hard water, you could actually have soft water because of the softeners.

The way softeners work is that they exchange Na for the Ca and Mg in the water, so water softened by a water softener will not behave the same way as naturally soft water (like rainwater, which has few ions). I'm not exactly sure, but this could cause more problems in getting soap out of diapers than pure soft water.

I would not go by that slipperiness concept. For me, when I travel, hard water complexes with soap and feels very slimy. Really soft water can be bad at removing oils from your skin and so might feel the same if you're not used to it. It can depend on what you are used to, and if you do a search, you will find answers going in every direction. The mineral deposits are a better diagnostic, or better yet, call up your city water department and ask them! You pay them good money right?!? Also ask whether your water is fluoridated as well, if you don't know.

Just FYI - I have a PhD in soil science and am a research scientist for the federal government studying water chemistry......:)

holliam
03-02-2005, 06:24 PM
I did call our water department too and got confirmation. :) We do not have a water softener, just soft water!

Oh, also, I can get suds out of any diapers. I've had a friend send me a prefold for testing. No suds/build up at her house, and it took 5 washes at mine for the water to run clear. So, my soft water is clearly rinsing the detergent out more than her hard water.

Holli