PDA

View Full Version : CD & diaper rash possible TMI and long post

tbriese
03-01-2005, 09:58 PM
we have been battling diaper rash for several weeks now. DD is 9 weeks old and wears PF or kissaluvs with prorap covers or FB. rash was first 2 linear streaks near anus but that finally cleared up and now we have redness at the top of her vulva. i try to keep her changed as often as i can (max 2 hrs unless she's napping) and i use a disposable at night. this wasn't a problem the 1st couple weeks even though she was only getting changed every 3 hours because she slept all the time. i've added fleece liners to help wick the moisture away.

i'm getting a little desparate because i've got a sitter who takes great care of DD but is harping on the diaper rash quite a bit so far and is trying to blame the cloth diapers as they "keep the wetness right next to her bottom". she swears her butt is wet when she changes DD (i haven't noticed but then maybe i'm just not observent about it?). she thinks the fleece liner of the FB is wet when she changes her (i haven't been touching DD diaper when i take it off so i can't know myself if she's right).

i'm starting to ramble. if anyone has some input, i'd be so receptive.

thanks!

toomanystrollers
03-01-2005, 10:58 PM
What are you using for detergent? and what for the rash?

squimp
03-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Here's a great reference for diaper rash, and tips for prevention.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081400.asp

I'm not sure what rash you have, but it's possible that it's a yeast rash, which for us has been really easy to clear up in a day with over-the-counter Clotrimazole a few times a day (jock itch cream - sounds ugh, but it works). Whenever we've had one, a few applications of this stuff will clear it up right away.

I'd say you're doing all the right things, as far as preventing rash. Definitely change poopy diapers right away, that's the worst! I agree that by using fleece-lined dipes, that should keep the moisture off. A barrier cream might help too (I like Burt's bees), to aid in clearing it up and prevention.

It kinda makes me mad when folks say that CDs cause or maintain rash, because I really don't think that's true - certainly hasn't been for us!

tbriese
03-02-2005, 07:32 AM
pam,

i'm using tide free. if it was the detergent, wouldn't it cause a more generalized rash? i also use it on her clothes and so i'd think it would affect her elsewhere? yes, no maybe?

i've actually switched brands of ointment fairly frequently. i've used just aquaphor...doesn't seem to clear it up very well but it looks awesome as a barrier. i've used balmex...sometimes it has helped but never cleared it up. budreaux's butt paste really helped get the first rash over the hump (kind of funny that the butt paste helped the "butt rash" :-) ). now i'm trying bag balm on the vulva rash per peds nurse recommendation. that is helping.

will i just have to use a barrier ointment all the time?

tbriese
03-02-2005, 07:37 AM
jana,

thanks for the support. i have to admit i've been a little disheartened b/c i had thought rashes would be less likely. i've persisted though b/c i figured she didn't seem uncomfortable and i thought i'd figure it out sooner or later.

i don't think it's yeast but i was going to have the ped check it out at her next visit but it's good to know that i can use OTC yeast creams.

i really like this sitter b/c i do believe she'll take great care of DD (and i was so excited to find several people willing to use the cloth) so i'm trying to not let her comments get to me. until now, i was doing ok. i'm going to talk to her, though.

KrisM
03-02-2005, 07:52 AM
I know for us, the rash responds differently to different creams. Burt's Bees works the best and then Triple Paste. But, others have differing opinions. You could try a different cream.

Do you know your sitter is changing her often enough? Maybe she does feel wet to the sitter because it's been too long? My mom babysat last week and told me "he was soaked!" when she got DS ready for bed. I asked if she meant changing into the FB (for bed), or a daytime diaper. She said the FB. Well, despite me having told her to change him about 5:30, she had forgotten and he had been wearing the same prefold for 4.5 hours! Well, yeah, he's soaked! Anyway, maybe your sitter needs to change a bit sooner?

Also, give her as much naked butt time as you can. Lay her down on something waterproof or a prefold for a while.

I hope you figure it out soon!

pittsburghgirl
03-02-2005, 09:21 AM
I didn't chime in because we have only had rash when DS had diarrhea, but I do agree with Kris on the changing, maybe the sitter isn't changing often enough? If she is used to changing sposies, she probably isn't. I know I change way more often now than I did with sposies and back then I thought I was changing pretty often :) And if your DD is wearning sleepers or other "inconvenient" clothes over the diapers, it's a little harder to check frequently.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

tbriese
03-03-2005, 12:21 PM
i actually feel very comfortable that jean's changing DD often enough for 2 reasons. first, she's constantly reminding me to change her diaper more often and she sent home 7 FB the first day:-).
second, one of the parents told me a story of how a former parent accused jean of using her kid's diapers for someone else because she was going through so many. one of the many reasons i chose her is that i knew she'd change the diapers often enough. i just didn't know how annoying she'd be about this diaper rash. of course i know my DD has diaper rash!!! i'm trying to fix it!