PDA

View Full Version : FB/PUL rash?

psophia17
03-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Is it possible that DS's rash is related to PUL?

He's been in FBs and Luke's Drawers (LOVE LDs!) during the day, and there's usually a red ring around his thighs from the elastic. Last night was his first overnight, and the red ring was way worse - a bright red, sore rash right around the tops of his thighs.

For overnight, I used an FB and there was 6 layers worth of hemp and one layer of sherpa in the inserts. There was no wicking that I could detect - he was dry and his jammies were dry, and although he did smell a little like ammonia first thing this morning. The red marks just don't look like diaper rash at all, nor are they anything like red marks from the leg openings being too tight.

Can I do anything to make FB-wearing better for him?

(Edited to fix garbled description)

mudder17
03-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Well, it is possible that it's a breathability issue. One of the reasons I switched Kaya over to nothing PUL is because of rash issues. She seems to have sensitive skin and when I have her in PUL for more than 2 hours or for more than 1 PUL diaper in a row, she gets a bad rash or her rash gets worse. We're battling a pretty severe one now (bleeding sores, poor babe), so this means diaperless in the morning and lots of fleece and wool or coverless dipes. I suppose your DS could also have a hemp sensitivity? Although the one child I knew who had that broke out in hives, so it was much more severe than what you describe. One more possibility is detergent build-up, either in the hemp, or in the fleece lining of your FBs/LDs. That might be the simplest thing to eliminate, just by stripping your dipes.

HTH give you some ideas.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Breastfed 1 Year -- Woohoo!

mommyj_2
03-07-2005, 06:32 PM
It could be PUL. My DS can't wear PUL at all. He gets a red rash from it. He gets a similar rash from fleece. A lot of people love fleece because it breathes, but I found that it didn't breathe enough for my DS' skin. I switched to nylon covers and didn't have any more rash problems.