PDA

View Full Version : Our first real stink!

pittsburghgirl
03-07-2005, 03:45 PM
So, I have enough dipes now to wash every three days. I have learned that having the capability to wait this long is not the same thing as being a good idea to wait this long!

Yesterday I should have washed the a.m. but due to a number of things happening I didn't get the diapers in until 7 pm. I thought I would pass out from the ammonia smell. my nose is a bit stuffy, so when I smelled them coming out of the washer they seemed to smell ok. Into the dryer... 30 mins later I checked and they still STUNK, I think the heat really activated it! Yikes.

So, I threw them back in the washer with some baking soda and soaked overnight. I then did 3 more cycles! today, between trying to get the smell out and then making sure there were no more suds. I *think* they are ok now.

The interesting thing is that the microfiber and cotton smelled just as bad or worse than the hemp.

I'll be washing every other day now, regardless of how many diapers are still on the shelf! :)

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

steph2003
03-07-2005, 04:08 PM
Yes, we have this problem as well!!! I find I MUST wash every other day or pay the stink price. I'm not sure if it is everything that is stinking or hemp is the culprit. My DH who gets DS ready in the morning after waking up from sleeping 12 hours comments he smells like amonia when he changes DS. We have to use hemp at night as I've found nothing else that works for us - so I do think hemp is the main culprit. Extra rinses help some w/o detergent but I can't say my dipes are 100% stink free ever. But I've just tried to grin & bear it.

Oh, I cut out baking soda afraid they weren't helping the problem but making it worse. I have not tried a Calgon wash or anything like that.

mudder17
03-07-2005, 05:59 PM
I wash every other day because that is a washer load (~15-18 diapers) and I know that if I let it build up I would never get it done. So I don't usually have that problem. In fact, my two diaper bags have been taken out of the Dekors and are sitting on the couch next to me and I don't notice a smell at all! Yes, I know there are some stinky diapers in there, but I imagine it would be much worse if I let them sit 3 days!

One thing that probably helps is that I rinse my overnight dipes with cold water in the morning before putting it in the diaper pail.

I used to use Calgon and Cheer liquid with every wash and that really cut down on the stink. But I've recently been experimenting with tide HE liquid (very little) and it seems to work out pretty well also. I do two cycles of hot with a second cold rinse with each of my loads, the second with no detergent or additives. Vinegar, if I use it (occasionally), I will add to the fabric softener dispenser of the first cycle.

I just dumped the bags into the washer and yes, I can sort of smell the ammonia, but it's not bad at all. And I use almost all hemp. When it starts to get bad, I know I need to do a Calgon cycle.

Hope this helps!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif Breastfed 1 Year -- Woohoo!

stillplayswithbarbies
03-08-2005, 11:08 AM
I wash once a week. Sometimes I don't get around to it until 8 days or even 9 days. In the hot summertime I could smell ammonia when I opened the bag, but it's not bad in the winter.

My child doesn't pee a lot, and she is in disposables during the week daytime at daycare, that's why I can wait 8 days and my pail is just stuffed full by then. Her poop mostly just plops into the toilet, so I don't have messy poopy diapers in the pail for a week.

I do a cold soak with about 1/4 of the suggested amount of detergent. I spin that water out and do a hot wash followed by two cold rinses. Every once in awhile if I look in the rinse and see suds, I turn it back and do three more rinses. (I just go through another wash cycle without adding soap and that gets me three rinses)

I have hemp (joeybunz) and the only time we had hemp stink was early on when we were using too much detergent and not rinsing enough. Or I assume that was the issue since cutting back on the detergent and adding some extra rinses every third load or so took care of it. The diapers smell clean when they come out of the wash.