PDA

View Full Version : Are we doing something wrong? (diaper rash issues)

Saartje
03-07-2005, 04:45 PM
It doesn't seem to be diaper-related; he just seems to get a painful rash whenever he has a BM after having solid food (which means pretty much every BM these days -- small amounts of solids, but frequently). Is there something I can do to prevent this? Triple Paste helps it heal pretty fast, but I'd rather him not get it at all, if anyone has suggestions.

Poor little guy just seems to have his daddy's sensitive skin. :(

squimp
03-07-2005, 05:29 PM
This happens with DD as well - poop has always really irritated her skin. And it makes sense, there's all those enzymes in there meant to break down organic materials. Anyway, she tells us when she poops (and has always been a noisy ...err... pooper), so we change her IMMEDIATELY. A barrier cream would really help too.

There also might be some kind of food reaction going as well, since it's just associated with solid foods. I don't have much experience with that, but it's worth watching.

Momof3Labs
03-07-2005, 11:29 PM
Colin got that from oranges (including juice), tomatoes and cow's milk. Sounds like he is probably reacting to something in his diet.

Saartje
03-08-2005, 12:21 AM
That's what I thought of, but I'm clueless about what it could be. He's never had any citrus fruit or cow's milk. It hadn't happened with pureed oatmeal, banana, or pears individually; but it did when he ate all three in one meal. He eats spinach, cooked onions, green beans, and occasionally some yogurt. The yogurt is the only dairy product he's had, and that only a few times -- not often enough to be causing this. The first time it happened, he'd had about two bites of black-eyed peas, which I then realized he shouldn't have had and haven't given him since.

Any thoughts? I'm hoping someone will know more than I do.

egoldber
03-08-2005, 08:20 AM
If he is new to solids, it could be just the way his body is reacting to his new "food-filled" poops. My DD often had this if poop sat in her diaper for ANY length of time, even just a few minutes. For some kids, its normal. For others, they need a period of time to kind of toughen their skin, and then it stops happening.

I would keep an eye on it and try to see if it is any one particular food. But it may not be.