PDA

View Full Version : Oh how I wish I had some covers right now!

writermama
03-10-2005, 11:16 AM
My CD stash is all pockets and it works well for us most of the time. But ... DD has a nasty stomach bug now. I switched back to sposies because I couldn't keep up with the laundry. Even the sposies are no match for this, though. For example, last night she was wearing fleece footie jammies and it somehow ended up filling one of the feet!

Next time I want to be ready. I'm looking for suggestions for realitively inexpensive covers that can contain explosive messes and fit well on a small toddler with moderately chunky thighs and a skinny waist. I might even try out my premium prefold with it.

TIA,
a very sleepy Karen

BTW, I used all of my infant prefolds as spit-up cloths while she was in the throwing up stage. I wished I had a dozen premium prefolds while she was throwing up all of the time, so I plan to get some of those, too.

tbriese
03-10-2005, 11:33 AM
karen,

oh dear! what a mess! i have a 11 wk old but the proraps have contained her BF poo quite nicely. they are the only ones i've tried so far. good luck!

lizajane
03-10-2005, 11:58 AM
do you want to borrow some proraps? i have plenty of larges so i don't need them all. i could mail them asap.

calebsmama03
03-10-2005, 04:22 PM
For immediately available and cheap, what about the BRU dappi type nylon pants? They are like 2 for $4 I think and should work to contain messy poops. They also have a wrap style with gussets if you prefer a wrap, I think those are 2 for $6. Might be better than pulling down poopy nylon pants!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And the stubborn "purple" baby due 5/25/05

writermama
03-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Liza,

Thank you so much for the kind offer. I know you must be busy with your two boys and that makes it an even more thoughtful gesture.

I think the worst is over now with this bug, so I don't need covers right away. I think I'd like to get some covers to keep on hand for next time, though. I'd probably need to keep them longer than you could spare them -- at this rate, Dylan will probably be wearing them next week. ;)

Thanks for the thought, though.

Karen

writermama
03-10-2005, 08:54 PM
That's a great idea. I wish I'd posted this two days ago. I could have sent DH out to get those and spared myself a few loads of messy laundry. of course, at the time I was too busy to get on the computer. Oh well.

I think she's through the worst of it now, but as soon as I'm able to spend some time fluff shopping online, I'm going to order a few covers to keep around for next time (maybe if I'm prepared, she won't get sick again).

It sounds like gussets are essential for containing the really runny stuff -- is that correct?

In addition to the BRU wrap style and prowraps, are there other brands of covers that have gussets and would work well?

I've heard Bummis and Bumpys mentioned often on these boards. Would they work well? How do they compare to prowraps? Are some brands better for chunky thighs and others for skinny thighs?

Oh, gotta run, there she goes again. I guess it's not quite over yet. Icky!

-Karen

tarahsolazy
03-11-2005, 11:11 AM
My son is chunky and still a baby-shaped guy, so take this with that in mind. In the NB very runny BF poo stage, I liked Green Earth covers, which are very similar to proraps, but stretchier, and less plasticky. I got them at www.lilbunz.com Bumpys are nice, but they are a little spendy if they are just going to sit around, mostly. The Bummis are not gusseted, they work fine for the occasional runny poo around here, but will get leaked on, about half the time. Never any leaks on clothes, though. Forrest has very chunky thighs, and all of these brands worked fine for us. Hey, why not get a dozen premium PFs, and a couple of covers as backup dipes? You might feel the PF love, if you try it.

writermama
03-11-2005, 06:07 PM
I was way too intimidated by the idea of folding to try it before, but I'm thinking about trying prefolds. I've got a Premium sample and a never-used Snappi that I've been eyeing today. Now all I need is a cover ... :)

That's confusing about the Bummis not actually having gussets. On the sites where I saw them, it said something about "the gussets are built in," whatever that means.

I'm posting an ISO on swap and hope to find some used so I can see if I feel the PF love without the full investment.

Thanks,
Karen

mudder17
03-11-2005, 06:33 PM
If you want, I have some extra medium literaps. They're sort of like Bumpy's, but they're cheaper. They're still in the bag, although Kaya did recently open the bag. ;-) I also have some used ones as well.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif
12M checkup: 31", 18.8 lbs, 47 cm head

writermama
03-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Eileen,

Literaps sound great and it was nice of Kaya to inspect them, but I think that DD would wear a large. She weighs about 22-23 pounds (or at least she did before this). Do you have any Large ones you want to part with?

Even if you don't, could I bribe you (perhaps with some Tazo chai) to give me a prefold lesson? Maybe when DD is feeling better and Kaya's rash heals? :)

Karen

mudder17
03-12-2005, 10:22 AM
You're near the Baltimore region aren't you? I don't have any large PUL covers, actually, since I quit using them after I realized fleece and wool was better for her.

I'm not a prefold expert, but I could certainly show you some tricks that I've learned with prefolds (assuming Kaya cooperates, LOL). Kaya's rash is definitely not getting worse, so I'm very glad about that! It looks like it's finally healed over enough that the sores are not going to reopen. Going coverless and even diaperless really seemed to help her. And lots of my diaper rash mix, too. :)

Eileen

writermama
03-13-2005, 10:55 AM
So, DD is still having the messy, runny poo even though I thought we were pretty much done with it 2 days ago. In desperation, I asked my mom to check for cheap rubber-pants style covers at the store near us. No luck, of course.

But as my wise and saintly mother told me that she couldn't find the covers, she furrowed her brow and asked, "Couldn't you just use the diapers you already have?"

It took a few minutes for this to penetrate my sleep-deprived and exceedingly slow moving brain. "Duh. You mean, just put an un-stuffed pocket diaper on top of the sposie?"

"Yes. Until you can get the kind of covers you want."

So, though it's probably not as effective as a traditional cover with gussets, it is an extra layer of protection for DDs clothes and our furniture (Trust me, you don't want to know. It was such a mess yesterday. Ugh.)

And, it smells like I'm about to get a chance to see how well it works. Wish me luck.

-Poor, Toopid, Tired Karen

mudder17
03-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Poor, sleep-deprived Karen! :( Actually, other mothers here have used unstuffed FBs as covers; it will definitely help having the gentle elastic around the legs and the waist to help contain the poop.

I hope your sweetie feels better soon and you get some sleep!

Hugs!

Eileen