PDA

View Full Version : I need VERY simple wool instructions please

egoldber
03-19-2005, 09:30 AM
No 10 step processes please, LOL! :)

I knitted 2 soakers for the baby, a newborn size and a small size.

First, I need instructions for lanolizing the soakers I made.

And then does anyone have simple, easy instructions for washing and maintaining their wool covers?

I am determined to give wool a real chance this time, but the care and upkeep intimidates me. (I do have a bottle of Eucalan leftover from my wool attempts with Sarah...does it expire??)

I have read the old wool threads, but honestly, it all seems so complicated. Isn't there an EASY way to do wool????

pritchettzoo
03-19-2005, 12:04 PM
The easiest way I've found to lanolize is with liquid lanolin--found at Whole Foods in the health area.

1. Wet the soaker thoroughly.
2. Heat a mug of water in the microwave for 1 min.
3. Stir in a tsp of liquid lanolin and a squirt of baby shampoo/wash. The water will turn white.
4. Fill a bowl or basin with warm water. Add mug of lanolin water and the soaker. I put a salad plate on top to keep the soaker submerged. Let sit for 1 hour.
5. Gently squeeze out water. You can roll the soaker in a towel to get rid of the excess moisture, or do my DH's favorite method: the salad spinner. :)
6. Hang to dry.

You can use more or less lanolin depending on the size of the soaker and if it's been lanolized before and how much water you use. I just did a new cover last night and probably used a tablespoon, but it's a nighttime cover and in a large.

Washing the covers--I use the same basin (it's a Rubbermaid tub thingie) and a few squirts of baby shampoo because I don't have any wool wash yet. Gently swish around, rinse, and then lanolize. I've only done night covers so far, so I am more paranoid about lanolizing. Euclan contains lanolin, so you can skip the lanolizing step. There may be specific directions on the bottle itself. Supposedly if you use a wool wash with lanolin, you only have to relanolize every 6-8 washes. You only have to wash when it stinks or gets poop on it. I've read that bar wool wash is best for getting out poop stains because you can rub it right on the stain. The favorite bar wool wash is W.O.W. and the company was just sold. It should be available more widely soon, but a couple of places still carry it. www.righteousbaby.com I know has some.

Well, that seemed simpler in my head. It was a production the first time I did it with Lansinoh, and then less so the next time...last night I did it quick as a wink.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

toomanystrollers
03-20-2005, 06:42 AM
Beth,
What wool did you to knit? b/c I'm very much a wool slacker & I usually just wash them in Eucalan and they're ready to wear!!

Simpliest care, chuck them into the washer on warm - set the load to small - throw in some Eucalan - and then shut the machine off. Let them sit for at least 15 mins or whenever you come back to the machine (for me, it's often the next day) - then spin them out on gentle (don't use the rinse cycle at all - so you don't wash all the lanolin from the Eucalan away).

Easy peasy mama - I promise :)

How are you feeling these days??

egoldber
03-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Pam, I actually feel great. Shockingly great for 35 weeks LOL!

I used kool-aid dyed Lion Brand Fisherman's wool for the soakers. And washing in the washer on warm sounds divine to me!

mudder17
03-20-2005, 05:27 PM
Can you just wash them on warm in the handwash setting, but stop it before it rinses? Or will it not soak long enough (or be able to soak?)?

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif
12.5 months: 30", 19.7 lbs, 47 cm head

toomanystrollers
03-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Yup - done that too :) - but I prefer to just stop the machine and let them sit - otherwise I forget to stop the machine before the rinse cycle.

mudder17
03-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Cool! I'll have to try that the next time I do wool. It'd certainly make DH happy that I'm not tying up the sink with wool (or mama pads). :)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif
12.5 months: 30", 19.7 lbs, 47 cm head

toomanystrollers
03-20-2005, 05:44 PM
I believe the Lion's Brand has a fair amount of lanolin still left in it. Plus with all those happy newborn poop explosions, your soakers would have time to get damp :)