PDA

View Full Version : How to get stink out (and prevent) in FBs

ladybugsea
03-23-2005, 10:28 AM
I had borrowed FBs from a friend that stunk to high heaven. When I received my brand new FBs a few weeks ago, I couldn't believe how un-smelly they were. :) In the morning I could tell if Nora was wearing a 'sposie or a FB because now the 'sposies were the stinky ones and I understood what everyone was talking about!

Last week I started to notice stink on my new FBs. It's not horrible like the other ones were, but I am noticing it getting worse. I do a soak and prewash on hot with no detergent. Then I do a hot wash and cold rinse with liquid Sun free, and an extra cold rinse because I've seen suds before. I use 1/3 of the Sun cap. I tried using even less but found the diapers didn't smell clean after a wash if I used too little. I have an old washing machine. I live in Massachusetts and have city water. Our water must be on the hard side.

Should I try hot rinses? And how about vinegar? Is that only for prefolds? I haven't noticed my prefolds stinking (yet, anyway). Or maybe powder Tide? I'm using CB MF inserts, and I think they smell, too. I really don't want to buy expensive detergent or microwave on a regular basis (kind of defeats the purpose of a simple CD diapering system, KWIM?). I've washed these diapers maybe less than 10 times.

Thanks!!

smilla653
03-23-2005, 11:06 AM
I don't have any experience with FBs yet, but I wanted to suggest that if you don't get a response to your question here, to check the boards at www.ovusoft.com. I am in a CDing buddy group called cushioned tushies (listed under parenting forums), and someone there will most definitely have an answer for you -- all those ladies use FBs and several members sell dipes and know a ton about them!

DebbieJ
03-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Free & Clear detergents are known to cause build up on fleece, which is what the inner parts of FB are made of.

To get it out, you have to hand wash the FBs with dish soap--squirt a little on, then rub the fleece, and rinse thoroughly. I just had to do it with mine and now they don't smell!

~ deb
DS 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

ladybugsea
03-25-2005, 06:32 AM
I belong to the Cushioned Tushies group. :) I
ll try over there, too.

Interesting about the dish soap. I wonder why that doesn't cause build-up, too?

searchdog
03-25-2005, 09:04 AM
If you get any good info on it would you post it over here too. I am trying to work on the smell of my Fuzzi Bunz as well. They are much better but still have a smell to them. I would like to sun them but no good sun this week. :(

nitaghei
03-25-2005, 01:45 PM
This is my wash routine, and I've never had stink issues with any of my PUL pockets, or even my hemp inserts. And certainly never any problems with the microfiber inserts.

Cold soak and prewash with a small amount of detergent.
Hot, long, wash with extra rinse with a tiny amount of detergent.
Detergent is Cheer Free powder. Every 4 or 5 weeks, I use Sportwash instead of Cheer Free in the hot wash cycle. In the summer, I substitute this by line drying the pockets in the sun. DH got the Sportwash at Walmart months ago, and I still have plenty left.

I would definitely do a hot wash/ warm rinse instead of cold. I've found I get the best results if I use the 15 minute soak that the machine's set for. IME, a longer soak actually resulted in stink. FWIW, I have an old Maytag top-loader, nothing fancy.

So things are super simple for me right now. Just a couple of buttons to push, and a few trips to the laundry room. Anything harder than that is too much to cope with on a weeknight. :) Lately I've been really lazy and throwing everything in the dryer - I used to line dry the PUL pockets and shells before. And everything works just fine.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)