PDA

View Full Version : fleece liners - how thick and how effective?

american_mama
03-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Is thicker fleece better for using as a stay-dry liner or does it not make much difference? I just bought some microfleece since it was on sale and cut a few rectangles out. It seems to keep things dryer next to baby's skin, but not super duper dry. Same thing with my fleece lined pockets (FB and HH), better but not totally dry, not as dry as disposables. Is that about the best I can expect?

Also, outside of these boards, i haven't heard others mention the fleece liner thing much. Why? Are all those other babies sitting directly on wet diapers?

Finally, if I use a fleece liner all the time, do I not have to worry about what type of diaper rash creme I use, because the only fabric in direct contact with the creme will be the liners? Or might the diaper creme spread around in the wash and stain the diapers?

rrosen
03-24-2005, 06:50 AM
I use remnants from Malden Mills to make my liners. I use all 100 and 200 weight fleece. I actually prefer the 200 because I think the slightly thicker fleece bunches less. But, both work very well and help with poopy dipe changes.

If the liner gives you good coverage then the creme you use should not make a huge difference. However, I have only used cremes that are CD friendly (aquaphor, burt's bees, and triple paste) IME the fleece eventually (after several months) gets some build up because of the creme and begins to repel. That is the point I make some new liners.;-)

HTH

KrisM
03-24-2005, 09:09 AM
I use microfleece from JoAnn's and find it keeps him pretty darn dry. How wet is the diaper when you change it? If it's completely soaked, then the liner will be wet since the wet has to go somewhere.

egoldber
03-24-2005, 10:02 AM
I have used all types of fleece and have found that it really doesn't matter. Just avoid Windpro and other types of fleece specifically designed to repel water (hint: this fleece will NOT be cheap LOL). Anything cheap at Joann's will work fine.

I always used Aquaphor because, well, that just what I always use. I never had any problems with build-up. I am planning to use the same fleece liners again. I don't see any reason not to.

And no cloth diaper will be as dry as a disposable. Not even with fleece.

HTH,

kensjen
03-24-2005, 11:17 AM
I use cheap fleece remnants, and they have always worked fine. I've used all different weights, and I haven't noticed much difference as far as wetness. Becca is right, the thicker ones stay in place a bit better.

The fleece liner thing does sometimes seem like a secret handshake or something. LOL There isn't a lot of talk about it on info sites, etc. I know at mothering, a lot of the moms only want to use natural fibers, so fleece is out for them. And many moms want their children to notice the wet feeling as they get older to help with PL.

I only use cloth diaper friendly cremes, partly because I don't want staining, but also because these particular cremes work well on DS.

Nothing is going to be as dry as a disposable...you need the chemicals for that!

american_mama
03-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Beth: Your words that any fleece will do were ringing in my ears when I bought the microfleece. Thanks for adjusting my expectations correctly, that super dry is probably not going to happen with cloth. DD's dipes are wet, but not soaked, when I remove them. I am still adjusting to cloth, but I think this level of wetness/dryness is OK to me.