PDA

View Full Version : Round 2: Dumbest questions ever

american_mama
03-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Ok, I've been CDing for a few weeks now and have a new list of dumbest questions. For everyone's amusement, I'll put my dumbest questions first.

1. Are the microtowels supposed to be used by themselves or with something else, particularly with a pocket? If with some other stuffer, does the towel go over the stuffer, under, around, or what?

2. Likewise, is a hemp insert supposed to go under or over a prefold?

3. How can Happy Heiney's NOT wick? The fleece is *supposed* to stick out of the legholes, which seems guaranteed to cause wicking.

4. Why does anyone use pins instead of Snappis?

5. Some wraps have a mesh liner inside them, like Ecology Kids. What does it do besides look ugly?

6. Does this happen to anyone else? The Snappi extends past the area where the diaper and wings overlap, thus allowing the Snappi to poke through (ouch) just one layer of cloth.

7. What's with the material in the Kissaluv fitteds? Sure, it's nice that the poop doesn't slide off it, but it's so thick and textured that it doesn't seem to get very clean. Am I crazy?

8. What kind of fabric is in that Kissaluv fitted anyway? I love everything else about it. Any other diapers use this fabric but maybe with less thickness?

9. Can you use a Joeybunz all by itself in a pocket? This is a very trim and absorbent option; why doesn't everyone use this all the time, day and night?

10. What is wet? How do you know if you need more absorbency? I am changing DD every 2-3 hours and her diaper is always wet, usually through to the bottom folded layer. But it's not like pee is dripping out of it. The back edge is usually dry and often the front edge too. Does that mean keep doing what I'm doing, or relax and wait just a little longer to change?

11. Should the stuffing in a pocket diaper be long enough to touch from front to back? I know it should side to side to avoid wicking onto the cover.

12. Why do people buy adorable diapers when they almost all have to be covered by a cover? Sure, hand dyed prefolds and print fitteds and colored interior on pockets are beautiful, but all that prettiness just gets covered by a cover, right?

Sorry so many questions, but you patient and wise mamas can help clue me in! My mom and sister are going to see the CD stash for the first time this weekend, and I want to make a great impression.

squimp
03-24-2005, 11:33 PM
Ok, I love dumb questions, I stand a chance at being able to answer them, and probably asked them myself at one time, LOL! - I can't answer them all, but the ones I answered are inside the stars.

1. Are the microtowels supposed to be used by themselves or with something else, particularly with a pocket?
**** By themselves they're probably not enough - some folks wrap 'em around a JB. Cottonbabies inserts are inexpensive enough to make it worth it.******

***I s'pose you could wrap the PF around the JB or whatever, but wouldn't that be super bulky? Not a fan of PFs in pockets, also because they weren't absorbent enough.*****

****who uses pins :)?****

6. Does this happen to anyone else? The Snappi extends past the area where the diaper and wings overlap, thus allowing the Snappi to poke through (ouch) just one layer of cloth.
***Don't like Snappis, sorry:)?****

7. What's with the material in the Kissaluv fitteds? Sure, it's nice that the poop doesn't slide off it, but it's so thick and textured that it doesn't seem to get very clean. Am I crazy?
****I agree, it's the grossest (I don't mean I agree that you're crazy, LOL). Takes forever to dry these too. Not a fan.****

8. What kind of fabric is in that Kissaluv fitted anyway? I love everything else about it. Any other diapers use this fabric but maybe with less thickness?
****Isn't it a cotton sherpa fleece? ITA, and folks do make other fitteds, but hope someone knows who.***

9. Can you use a Joeybunz all by itself in a pocket?
****Yes you can, but it wasn't absorbent enough for me. MOEs and Cottonbabies actually hold more water at the same size. I found JBs don't absorb quickly enough and we often have leaks in hemp. Hemp can also lead to the stink (do a search, I can't begin to explain adequately ;))!******

10. What is wet? How do you know if you need more absorbency?
*****It depends in part how tolerant you are for leaks, and also how sensitive DD's skin is. I think of timing diaper changes like trying to figure out how long it takes for your car to run out of gas once the "E" light goes on. It's just not worth it for me to push the limits, so I change about every 3 hrs. I think that's a long time, and really it's better for DD's skin.******

11. Should the stuffing in a pocket diaper be long enough to touch from front to back?
*****Yes - once I was sold small inserts for a medium FB, and it really made a difference in terms of being way less absorbent.******

12. Why do people buy adorable diapers when they almost all have to be covered by a cover? Sure, hand dyed prefolds and print fitteds and colored interior on pockets are beautiful, but all that prettiness just gets covered by a cover, right?
*****I think some kids run around in super cute dipes without covers, so their butts can breathe :). I'd like to know the answer as well, though.****

Good luck with your mom and sis!

mudder17
03-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Remember that the dumbest question is the question not asked. :)

1. Are the microtowels supposed to be used by themselves or with something else, particularly with a pocket? If with some other stuffer, does the towel go over the stuffer, under, around, or what?
Okay, this is actually a good question. And the answer is all of the above. ;-) Seriously, the only thing you don't want the microfiber towel next to is your baby's skin, partly because the fiber can dry out your baby's skin and because all those "fingers" are too rough for your baby's sensitive skin. If you want to use them as "the diaper", as in the whole absorbent material, you could trifold a couple of them, lay them in a wrap, lay a piece of microfleece on top and then put the whole thing on your baby. So basically using it like you would a trifolded PF, but making sure you have a layer of fleece in between to protect your baby's skin. As a pocket stuffer, how you use it depends on the absorbency desired. I could never use one of these or even two of these by themselves because Kaya is a super soaker and would probably soak two of them in less than 2 hours. But some people have actually used two of them in a pocket as a regular stuffer. I have used them wrapped inside of an infant PF as a stuffer and that works decently well for the day time. I have also used it with hemp inserts to boost the hemp inserts. Whether you use it closer to the baby's side of the pocket or inside the other insert or wrapped around the insert, etc., depends on the following test. Take the inserts you would use and lay them out on a table. Pour water on each of them and see which one absorbs the quickest (not necessarily the most, but the quickest). The one that absorbs quickest should be on the baby's side. Depending on how many times your inserts and towels have been washed, I would say that it will affect how quickly they will absorb.

See above for pocket ideas. When I use inserts/doublers with a prefold, I usually lay them on the prefold, lay a fleece liner on top, and lay the baby on top of that. But that's mostly for convenience because I can fold and snappi the prefold and everything is contained.

3. How can Happy Heiney's NOT wick? The fleece is *supposed* to stick out of the legholes, which seems guaranteed to cause wicking.
Umm...not sure about this one.

Some people are "purists" and prefer pins rather than the plastic snappi's. But some people actually say they can get a snugger, more secure fit with pins. Not being one of those people, I can't confirm or deny this claim. And actually, if I were going to do a diaper shot (which I have never done and which I may have to wait until the next newborn to do), I would put the baby in a prefold and pin it for the shot. :)

5. Some wraps have a mesh liner inside them, like Ecology Kids. What does it do besides look ugly?
I have one of those wraps and I was wondering exactly the same thing. I've never used the wrap and it just sits in my storage area (it was a gift), because I have no idea what kind of a cover it is, what the material is (it's fuzzy on the outside), and so there it sits. Some day maybe I'll take a picture of the cover and some of the experts here can help me figure it out. :)

Hasn't happened before, but perhaps you could flare the part that folds up in between the legs so that it overlaps more with the wings?

I think some of them are made with terry. I've never had problems with them getting clean, but if you're annoyed about it, you could always lay a fleece liner on top to make rinsing off the poop easier. I do agree that they took longer to dry than my prefolds, though. I loved these at the beginning, especially for middle of the night changes, but we usually just snappi'd our preemie prefolds at the beginning.

Well, I know some of them are terry, but I have no idea if they're all terry or sherpa or what.

9. Can you use a Joeybunz all by itself in a pocket? This is a very trim and absorbent option; why doesn't everyone use this all the time, day and night?
I have a WAHM made JB type insert and it is very trim but not nearly absorbent enough for DD. In fact, I think I threw it in for free to someone who bought my MEOS diaper. At a minimum, DD needs a LJ insert (fairly trim, but many more layers of the hemp).

10. What is wet? How do you know if you need more absorbency? I am changing DD every 2-3 hours and her diaper is always wet, usually through to the bottom folded layer. But it's not like pee is dripping out of it. The back edge is usually dry and often the front edge too. Does that mean keep doing what I'm doing, or relax and wait just a little longer to change?
That sounds about right. In fact I might even change her a little sooner. Kaya usually soaks her overnight diapers in front, but the back can be completely dry because she's a stomach sleeper. Wet to me is if she feels clammy to the touch. I like to change her before she gets to this point. This means that I often change her diapers when the front seems slightly damp on the outside and the back is completely dry. Basically as soon as she gets to the point where she can feel the wetness, I've waited too long.

11. Should the stuffing in a pocket diaper be long enough to touch from front to back? I know it should side to side to avoid wicking onto the cover.
Side to side for sure, but I often leave the back uncovered because she wets mostly in front. This means that even with an insert that reaches completely from front to back, it may be dry in the back but soaked in front. I guess it depends on your wetter.

Ah, the age-old question. :) I used to wonder that too, but there's something about putting on a cute diaper, even if you're the only one that ever sees it. But lately, I've started letting Kaya wander around coverless and it's nice to see the cute diaper. I know lots of moms here will let their kiddos go around coverless at home.

Sorry so many questions, but you patient and wise mamas can help clue me in! My mom and sister are going to see the CD stash for the first time this weekend, and I want to make a great impression.
These are actually a good list of questions that I'm sure many newbies (including me at one time) wonder about. You just happened to compile them all in one place. Good luck on wowing them with your stash. :)

Edited for format.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif
12.5 months: 30", 19.7 lbs, 47 cm head

bcky2
03-24-2005, 11:41 PM
ok, well i am going to try and answer the ones that i can.

1.they can be used alone in a pocket, i would use two. i just letter fold them. i use one with a jb hemparoo. i put the micro fiber towel on top and hemparoo on bottom, im not sure if the order matters. i never wrap one around the other.

2.i dont use many prefolds but when i do i use a small oval insert and fold the sides over it so it is like a sandwich.

3.well im not sure why they dont but i dont have any problems at all with mine and i have a super soaker. the print ones do wick on me, i can only use the solid colored ones.

4.i will only use a snappi, i would hate to pin the diaper to ds ;) .

5.i have wondered that also.

6.not yet.

7&8. i have no help to offer in that area.

9.yes you can and i have. alot of people dont like hemp, we need it for our super soaker. i also dont have stink issues like some do with hemp.

10.i would keep doing what you are doing.

11.mine are stuffed from front to back.

12.because they are so cute and i still love to show them off. i do alot of pocket diapers so you get to see the outside. i am looking to get my first embroidered one soon. i have a wonderful friend making me some dyed fitted beautiful diapers, i cant wait!

well i hope i helped a little, and by the way there were no stupid questions.

nitaghei
03-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Here are my answers - mostly about pockets, because that's our mainstay.

>Ok, I've been CDing for a few weeks now and have a new list
>of dumbest questions. For everyone's amusement, I'll put my
>dumbest questions first.
>
>1. Are the microtowels supposed to be used by themselves or
>with something else, particularly with a pocket? If with some
>other stuffer, does the towel go over the stuffer, under,
>around, or what?

I typically use 2 towels, trifolded, in a pocket dipe for daytime use. I recently started adding a hemp doubler (Sugarpeas) for naps. I put the hemp between the towels. But it really makes no difference. I put the MOE insert (also microfiber) between the LJ insert or JBs for the night dipes. Both ways work fine. Some people wrap the microfiber towel around the hemp. Whatever floats your boat.
>
>2. Likewise, is a hemp insert supposed to go under or over a
>prefold?

See above. I don't like using prefolds as inserts - too bulky.

>
>3. How can Happy Heiney's NOT wick? The fleece is
>*supposed* to stick out of the legholes, which seems
>guaranteed to cause wicking.

Never used these. Sorry.

>>
>9. Can you use a Joeybunz all by itself in a pocket? This
>is a very trim and absorbent option; why doesn't everyone use
>this all the time, day and night?

Yes, you can. I used 2 JBs at night for a while. Some people have issues with stink with hemp. I really haven't. I don't use JBs all the time because I'm cheap. Towels cost a lot less than JBs. Also, at least for night, I found that I need a combo of hemp/microfiber, and hemp alone leaks, as does all microfiber.

>
>10. What is wet? How do you know if you need more
>absorbency? I am changing DD every 2-3 hours and her diaper
>is always wet, usually through to the bottom folded layer.
>But it's not like pee is dripping out of it. The back edge is
>usually dry and often the front edge too. Does that mean keep
>doing what I'm doing, or relax and wait just a little longer
>to change?
>
I always change every two hours, other than naps or at night. Any longer than that, and bacteria start growing. I would absolutely never go longer than 3 hours during the day, with cloth or disposables.

>11. Should the stuffing in a pocket diaper be long enough to
>touch from front to back? I know it should side to side to
>avoid wicking onto the cover.
>
I've had no problems even when then the stuffing is shorter than the dipe. I think it's okay to have it shorter, but bad to have so long so that it sticks out of the dipe.

>12. Why do people buy adorable diapers when they almost all
>have to be covered by a cover? Sure, hand dyed prefolds and
>print fitteds and colored interior on pockets are beautiful,
>but all that prettiness just gets covered by a cover, right?
>
I've asked the same question. :) The best answer I got (from Denise? Karen?) - it's the same principle when we buy pretty underwear for ourselves. And it's true. I don't have many cute dipes - but it makes me smile every time I put a cute dipe on DS.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

C99
03-25-2005, 11:26 AM
I've no idea on #1 or #2.

>3. How can Happy Heiney's NOT wick? The fleece is
>*supposed* to stick out of the legholes, which seems
>guaranteed to cause wicking.

Yep, but they don't. I used HHs for quite awhile and they only wicked when the inner soaker was so full of pee there was nowhere else for it to go but out.

>4. Why does anyone use pins instead of Snappis?

B/c they've never seen or tried a Snappi or done any research on them. I actually do know people who CD'd for 2 years before trying a Snappi!

>5. Some wraps have a mesh liner inside them, like Ecology
>Kids. What does it do besides look ugly?

Maybe it adds weight/structure to the PUL? I've notived that Bumkinw wraps have it as well.

>7. What's with the material in the Kissaluv fitteds? Sure,
>it's nice that the poop doesn't slide off it, but it's so
>thick and textured that it doesn't seem to get very clean. Am
>I crazy?

This is just a matter of preference. KL come in 2 kinds of material -- fleece and terry or a combo of the 2. I have both and I prefer the fleece. I really like my KL fitteds and although they take a long time to dry in the dryer, most of the stains come right out (and if not, they do when sun-bleached).

>9. Can you use a Joeybunz all by itself in a pocket? This
>is a very trim and absorbent option; why doesn't everyone use
>this all the time, day and night?

I used JB all by themselves in pockets. I found other ways of stuffing the pockets b/c JBs are so expensive and, at the time, hard to find.

>10. What is wet? How do you know if you need more
>absorbency? I am changing DD every 2-3 hours and her diaper
>is always wet, usually through to the bottom folded layer.
>But it's not like pee is dripping out of it. The back edge is
>usually dry and often the front edge too. Does that mean keep
>doing what I'm doing, or relax and wait just a little longer
>to change?

I would just keep doing what you are doing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

>11. Should the stuffing in a pocket diaper be long enough to
>touch from front to back? I know it should side to side to
>avoid wicking onto the cover.

Again, personal preference thing. The problem w/ it being long is that the diaper stretches and contracts and the stuffer can stick out the back after baby's moving around, which means that it wicks. It also depends on where your baby wets. I generally make sure that Nate's stuffers go all the way up the front, but I am less concerned w/ them going all the way up the back b/c he generally wets in front rather than in the middle. This will change when I have a girl.

>12. Why do people buy adorable diapers when they almost all
>have to be covered by a cover? Sure, hand dyed prefolds and
>print fitteds and colored interior on pockets are beautiful,
>but all that prettiness just gets covered by a cover, right?

I don't know. It's one reason that I don't really go for cute fitteds -- I don't want to let my child go coverless (some people do this when at home), so I just focus on fitteds that absorb well rather than cute ones.

tarahsolazy
03-25-2005, 12:01 PM
They are either a combo of terry (looks like a towel) and cotton fleece, or all cotton fleece. They took forever to dry in my hands, since they have so many internal layers.

See above. If you like that type of material, you would likely LOVE sherpa. Its my absolute current favorite diaper material. Very absorbant, and so fluffy! Velour is also great. I have three Sherpa fitteds from www.loveybums.com which are my current favorite diapers. They are relatively trim, and very stretchy. I have one with an internal soaker, which takes a while to dry, and two new ones with snap in soakers, which dry much faster.

11. I think its the underwear analogy for me. I love to put those cute dipes on DS. For me, fitteds are all about the print. I recently decided that I am not buying any more fitteds unless I LOVE the print, regardless of the maker or cache associated with the dipe. I am trying to sell the three remaining "I don't love it" print fitteds I own.

american_mama
03-25-2005, 02:52 PM
I put my DiaperSwap setting to read on web only, to slow myself down from buying diapers. But maybe those fitteds of yours would interest me... can you pm me the size, print, and maker of the fitteds you are selling?

new_mommy25
03-25-2005, 03:13 PM
>
>4. Why does anyone use pins instead of Snappis?
>

Because I can get a really good fit with pins. And because my DS went through a phase where he would pick and pick at the snappi. And because I think a snappi looks wierd. I do use Snappis as well but I can get pins on just as quick and I've never poked DS.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/23537.jpg

tarahsolazy
03-25-2005, 05:34 PM
This pic makes me want to go home tonight and try pinning again. I thing that newspaper folding and just getting the edge might help me... I have been pin-challenged to date.

mudder17
03-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Angie that is a gorgeous fit with pins! It's much better than I was ever able to do, even with a non-wiggly newborn. Once DH and I discovered that snappi's were easy, we just went that way because we were afraid of poking her, or more likely, ourselves!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif
12.5 months: 30", 19.7 lbs, 47 cm head

KrisM
03-25-2005, 09:33 PM
You've gotten a lot of answers already, but I thought I'd toss mine in, too.

Ok, I've been CDing for a few weeks now and have a new list
of dumbest questions. For everyone's amusement, I'll put my
dumbest questions first.

6. Does this happen to anyone else? The Snappi extends past
the area where the diaper and wings overlap, thus allowing the
Snappi to poke through (ouch) just one layer of cloth.
--I fold the back of the prefold down about an inch, so there is another layer where I am Snappiing.

9. Can you use a Joeybunz all by itself in a pocket? This
is a very trim and absorbent option; why doesn't everyone use
this all the time, day and night?
--I can get by with one Joeybunz during the day for 2-3 hours. I probably would need 2 or 3 at night, but I use a night Lizajane instead. However, DS is a fairly light wetter at the time. It all depends on how much absorbancy you need.

10. What is wet? How do you know if you need more
absorbency? I am changing DD every 2-3 hours and her diaper
is always wet, usually through to the bottom folded layer.
But it's not like pee is dripping out of it. The back edge is
usually dry and often the front edge too. Does that mean keep
doing what I'm doing, or relax and wait just a little longer
to change?
--I change about every 2 hours at home and go up to 3.5 or so if I'm out and am on the way home, and he's in a pocket. At 2 hours, in a regular prefold, it's about 1/2 wet. The back is always dry. I happen to know that at 4.5 hours, it will be soaked (grandma forgot to change him:( ). I wouldn't change anything.

11. Should the stuffing in a pocket diaper be long enough to
touch from front to back? I know it should side to side to
avoid wicking onto the cover.
--My JB aren't long enough, but they seem to work just fine.

12. Why do people buy adorable diapers when they almost all
have to be covered by a cover? Sure, hand dyed prefolds and
print fitteds and colored interior on pockets are beautiful,
but all that prettiness just gets covered by a cover, right?
--I have 3 dyed prefolds and they're just fun to put on him!

Sorry so many questions, but you patient and wise mamas can
help clue me in! My mom and sister are going to see the CD
stash for the first time this weekend, and I want to make a
great impression.

I hope they are impressed!