PDA

View Full Version : What's the BEST Diaper Changing Pad and Why?

bostonsmama
04-06-2005, 10:15 AM
I imagine mamas who CD usually change dipes in one location (for the soaking bucket) and hence use some sort of changing pad. Just wondering if there are any benefits to one over another? Also, whether it's worth it to get those terry cloth covers....Thoughts?

nitaghei
04-06-2005, 10:23 AM
I've been very happy with the contour pad (we have it on top of the dresser). Definitely need some cover, I think - the pad's sort of slippery and not very comfortable. But skip the terry cover (NoJo?) - it was pretty much trashed in less than 3 months. I LOVE the velour one I got from Darling Diapers. It was more $$, but it has held up so much better and it's so much softer. Cheaper in the long run. Of course, I'm still changing DS up on the changing station, so we've been using it for a while.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker(at the Rainbow Bridge)

papal
04-06-2005, 10:29 AM
We have the changing pad that came with the Forever Mine dresser. It is a rectangular pad. My mom bought some flannel and stitched a case for the pad (very easy to do and if you want to match your other stuff, this would be an easy project)... i can throw it in the wash easily. However, when I change the baby, I put a prefold under her.. in case there is a mess, the prefold catches it and I just chuck that in the wash. I don't know what I would have done without the changing table.. i don't like changing on the floor or bed.. easier on my back when on the table.

MMEand1
04-06-2005, 11:42 AM
We change our 2 yo DS on a mat on the floor. It was originally sold as a camping mat, but it was given to my DH to be used as a nap mat when my DS was born. Since my DS has NEVER taken a nap we used it to change him on once he outgrew the changing table thing on the PNP. We change our 2 mo DD on the PNP changing table thing. We put a PF under the baby to catch accidents, but don't really bother with my 2 yo.
Mariah P.

SeekerMage
04-06-2005, 01:02 PM
I voted other because we use our bed. We have a king sized bed that is up really high and its the perfect height for changing. Its also a lot easier now that she is getting squirmy!

We also do have the Simmons changing pad. We only used it a few times before we started on the bed. If we didnt have the height of the bed then I would go back to using it. I definitely recommend getting atleast two covers. When one gets soiled then you have one to replace it. When we change DD we put the clean diaper on under her, take off the dirty one and wipe then just have to snap up. 99% of the time we dont have a problem this way, but in the beginning this was a life saver since she tended to go right away after changing. What better place then a diaper? I also suggest getting something other then the NOJO covers, ours were only used a few times but the way they are made the loops pull out and we have strings all over the place from them. I did find that the bassinet sized crib sheets do fit it though...the knit ones that Gerber makes. Much cheaper and I found them to be really soft. HTH

Jenny_A
04-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Can you post a link to the cover you bought? I'm not familiar with Darling Diapers and I cannot find the site. Is it darlingdiapers.com? Thanks for your help!

KrisM
04-06-2005, 02:32 PM
I use a changing table with the contoured pad. Like Rashmi, I put something under him during changes. Usually, it's a Gerber burp cloth that is the size of a prefold. I hated these as burp cloths, so at least they get used this way. I just keep it there and if it's dirty, I stick it in with the diapers.

nitaghei
04-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Yes, it's www.darlingdiapers.com - but it looks like there are some major changes going on. Sorry, looks like my experience isn't exactly helpful :(

Nita

nitaghei
04-06-2005, 03:39 PM
I use the cheapo Gerber flats, doubled, (which I bought before I knew better) for this, too. They actually work pretty well.

On occasion, I've even used them to stuff a pocket, and they actually work, and are trimmer than prefolds.

Nita

tarahsolazy
04-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Just chiming in on the whole "soaking pail" comment. I don't think any of us who CD use a wet pail, where the dipes are soaking in water, bleach, or anything. We just chuck the dipes in a pail (specific diaper pail, or $5 trashcan with flip-top lid) which is lined with a waterproof bag of some sort. For the BF poo, before solids, just chuck in pail as is. For solids poo, (yuck), flick it out of dipe into toilet, or spray it off with toilet sprayer. Then, into same ol' pail. No soaking required. Doesn't smell, either, believe me.

I ususally change DS on a changing table, with a non-contoured thin pad, covered in a ratty NoJo cover, with a pretty dyed prefold under him. Or on the floor of his room or the living room. He flips over less on the table, though.

Our table in in DS's room, but the pail is in the BR down the hall. No biggie. We used to have a huge BR, and I had the table and pail in there. That Rocked! Different house, now.

squimp
04-06-2005, 04:54 PM
We have the Dex folding changing pad (Contoured like Simmons, on sale at Tarjay), after using a flat pad that I made myself - the contoured pad is great because the sides kinda prevent her from turning over. Love it. The flat pad is in the car for on the go changes.

We have a really nice red terry changing cover - I bought it at a local baby store. Looks so much better than the white one that came with it. I put one of our many PFs over it to keep it clean.

Our "changing table" is a little different and I love it. The changing pad is on top of a blanket chest, and we sit on a little stool to change her. She's not very far from the ground, and there's no hunching over.

lizajane
04-06-2005, 06:00 PM
contour upstairs, PNP downstairs. i hate changing on the floor!!! (nak)

pittsburghgirl
04-06-2005, 07:18 PM
I voted contour because it was great for James when he was small. Once he got bigger and didn't fit well anymore, I switched to the little flat one that came with the changing table.

We're still using that for poops. At least half of our wet changes are standing up now - I'm getting really good at snapping on dipes while he's standing :)

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

mudder17
04-06-2005, 08:14 PM
We change Kaya on a contour changing pad from JC Penney. It has a terry cover, but that doesn't bug me because I have a aborbant changing pad (from Baby Center) on top of that and then I line them with extra premium prefolds, plus a blanket under her head. Yeah, I guess it's a bit cushy, but we change her on the tile floor of the bathroom and it just gives her a nice soft place to be changed. The pad actually came with the cover (the pad folds in half) and needs it because it's just two sponge pieces that fit into the terry cover that keeps them together.

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 13 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

kensjen
04-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Never used a "soaking bucket"....I am thinking that is a wet pail...

Anyway, had the contour pad on our changing table and always loved it. The darling diapers covers are nice, but I think Amber isn't going to make them anymore...although you could email her and check. I am in love with my chamois changing pad cover from PBK. It is so so soft and washes well...and never has had a stain. I used it for over a year and a half with DS...since his birth until recently. Now I change him on the floor or bed.

I never liked the changing area on the PNP, except when he was tiny...that thing is small and a bit unstable...once the kiddos can move. ;)

american_mama
04-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Just wanted to add that the Simmons terry cloth cover i got at Babies R Us has held up horribly, as others have said. A cousin had the same thing happen to her. I belive King Size pillowcases also fit, as another alternative. i am going to make a pad cover myself out of fleece as my first sewing project since 7th grade; glad to know velour and flannet are also possibilities.

tbriese
04-07-2005, 08:31 AM
i use a contoured changing pad with covers (i have no idea what brand as one was a hand-me-down from my sis and the other i bought on clearance) but i wanted to say i use mine on a product called "rail rider" and i love it! it allows DD crib to be her changing table and when it's not in use, the "rider hangs on the side of the crib. obviously, my station is in DD room but i don't use a wet pail - just a dry pail.

nitaghei
04-07-2005, 08:41 AM
Karen,

Definitely use velour if you make it yourself. It is soooo soft and stays that way - unlike flannel or even fleece. Velour is my new favorite fabric - for wipes and other stuff too. :)

Nita

kitmama
04-07-2005, 12:31 PM
I do change littleman at the changing table, but that's just because he behaves much better there than on the floor or elsewhere. We CD, but use a dry pail (as PPs have mentioned).

I originally bought a contoured pad, but took it back right away and bought the plain old thin flat changing pad instead. I am short, and the dresser we use as a changing table is taller than changing tables sold in stores- so the added height and bulk of the contoured pad was a bit much. We have been very happy with the flat pad, though.

I don't use a cover- the plastic pad is not "sticky" vinyl, so it's reasonably comfortable and is super easy to clean. (I keep some clorox wipes nearby). The dresser is white, so the white pad blends right in.

new_mommy25
04-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Amber's site is down but here is her temporary site.
http://www.rbohlmann.com/gallery/ambers_creations

HTH!