PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late to convert?

billysmommy
04-06-2005, 09:28 PM
I've been debating about switching to cd's (at least part-time) for about a month now. Now since I ordered some mama cloth for me, I feel like I should do the same for Billy :) But he's going to be 2 next month and I don't know if it would be a waste to switch now. He really doesn't show any interest in potty training other than liking to flush the toilet so I think that is still awhile away. I definately want to cd when we have another baby so any dipes I buy now would probably get used again.
I need some opinions from all of you cd'ers. Thanks so much :)

pritchettzoo
04-06-2005, 09:56 PM
Well, it's never a WASTE, but it depends on how much money you're willing to spend over a potential short term. If you're CDing for other than monetary reasons, then go for it--never too late! If you're trying to save money, well...

Cheapest route is prefolds and simple covers. But that could be the hardest to love too. If I were starting with a 2 year old boy, I'd probably do all pockets. If you used Fuzzi Bunz, they're $14 each (using discounted price for 12 or more). You'd need about 15 for 2 days (depending on how often you'd need to change him--I'm estimating 1 every 2 hours of 12 hour awake time and a couple extra to be safe). That's $210. Add a couple of diaper bags/pails for say $30. Inserts--$40-$60. Pockets also have a pretty decent resale value if you decided not to continue or they didn't work for #2.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

brigmaman
04-07-2005, 06:47 AM
I switched when Brig was a little over 2. He is still nowhere near using the potty and told me the other day that he thinks he's going to "go down the drain." Ugh.
The main reason I switched him was that I was going to CD my newborn dd thought it was only fair. :)

rrosen
04-08-2005, 07:05 AM
Lori,
I know a few MA mamas who would be happy to do a little show and tell for you! Post on the MA yahoo group if you want to try to arrange something or PM me!

kthomp
04-08-2005, 10:34 AM
I second what Becca said! When we went to the zoo, I wasn't a cd-er and now I'm full time! We can definitely help you with whatever options you want to learn about.

kensjen
04-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Time for another diaper party! ;) I was going to have one, but my friend may do it since she is a bit more north than I am!

We'll definitely help you out, Lori!

billysmommy
04-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks ladies....
I am definately in for a show and tell :) I am going to post on the MA yahoo boards once I remember my password.