PDA

View Full Version : Are Cloth Diapers the Way to Go for Nighttime Leaks?

mmaimp
04-07-2005, 12:15 PM
I've tried every sposie diaper out there on my 10 week old and we still get leaks. Especially at night when he sleeps 6+ hours. The diapers are not soaked but they are leaking out the top near the sides. I think it's his shape. He is 25 inches long and 15 pounds and most of his weight is in his middle. We are using size 3 diapers right now.

Would CDing solve our leaking problem?

What are the easiest and best to use for babies with big middles?

I would need simple and inexpensive diapers to delve into the world of cloth diapering. I tried to read the 101 post but it's really long and difficult to navigate. I will go back to read it when I can but right now I need to get started fast if this is the way we are going with diapers.

I would like to get Andrew through the night without a whole production of a full clothing and sheet change.

TIA,

mudder17
04-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Can I say yes? ;-) It really depends on what is causing the leaks. One thing you could try (the simplest and cheapest way) is to get an inexpensive cover like a Motherease Airflow or Prorap and put it on the outside of your disposable. Also, I'm not sure about sizing since I have absolutely no experience, but have you thought about sizing up in the diaper?

That said, the simplest and inexpensive diapering system is probably prefolds, snappi's and covers. For night time, depending on how heavy your wetter is, you might consider a hemp prefold or hemp fitted diaper? Some people have success with pockets with different inserts. The only thing is that lots of people are always in search for the perfect night time diaper. It depends on their wetter and whether their babe is a side sleeper, back sleeper or tummy sleeper. I'm not sure I would recommend starting out in cloth looking for a night time solution just because it can be potentially frustrating.

I'm not sure if I've been ANY help at all, lol, but we'd love to help woo you over to the dark side of CD'ing. ;-)

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 13 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

caleymama
04-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Well, I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but we recently started CDing the baby and she's almost the same size as your son. This week she was 24 3/4 inches and 14lbs. 9oz. at her check-up. We weren't having overnight leaks in disposibles very often and she does wear a 3 also. She's sleeping all night (8:30pm - 6:30am or so ... knock on wood). What's working overnight for us now is a Medium Happy Heiny or FB stuffed with a Medium JoeyBunz and a larger MOE microfiber insert. The small FB leaked up the back both times I tried but they are okay for daytime (although just about too small now). I also tried a prefold plus a MOE insert and that combo leaked as well, but I think I had it in a S FB instead of a M. I have not tried a prefold/cover/etc at night.

The suggestion to put a cover over a disposable is a good one. Could you maybe put a sheet saver over the crib sheet but put his midsection rather than his head on it so that if he leaks you'll only have to change that? If you are co-sleeping I guess that won't work.

Good luck!

mmaimp
04-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Thank you Eileen and Liz for your replies. Last night we leaked so I'm going to size up to 4's. It's just hard for me to believe that a 10 week old needs to wear size 4 diapers. His legs are not that chubby and I'm nervous that we will start leaking out the legs if the diapers get too big.

I'm watching some auctions on ebay for covers and I'm going to start looking into CDing for this round belly baby.

He is BF and has large blowout poops every few days. I was reading in the 101 thread that pockets are not as good for BF babies till they start solids because of soft poo.

This is very confusing and I'm open to any other suggestions. When I get some ideas of what I'd like to try I think I'll post what I'm seeking on the BBBSwap board to get some to try out.