PDA

View Full Version : Care of used Nikky covers.

niccig
04-12-2005, 11:24 AM
A friend who is no longer CDing has given me all her Nikky diaper covers. 16 covers in all. Several are wool, which I have never used. How can I wash them before using them on DS, and what regular care do they need? Do I put the polyester covers in the dryer to rewaterproof them?
Thanks,
Nicci

mudder17
04-12-2005, 05:25 PM
For the PUL covers, they may already be waterproofed. If not, you can either spray them with a waterproofing spray or toss them in the dryer on high heat for 10-15 minutes (I think). I would go the dryer route first and if that didn't work then hunt for the spray that is needed. I know they're readily available, but since I gave up on PUL, I haven't really looked for them.

For the wool, you can either wash them with a wool wash like Eucalan or Doodle bottoms or WOW soap or some other WAHM made wool wash. Or you can wash them with baby shampoo, but then lanolize them with lanolin. Basically, you fill your sink (or bucket) with tepid water, take about an inch of lanolin and melt it in your microwave in a small amount of water. Then pour the mixture into your sink. Swirl around, add the covers and let them soak (I usually let them soak for at least an hour or overnight if I forget about them). Squeeze them dry and then just hang them up.

Personally, Pam just gave me a good suggestion for my many wool covers--toss them in the washer on gentle (or handwash if you have that setting), add Eucalan or some other wool wash to the wash, and stop the washer before it reaches its rinse cycle (you don't want to rinse out the Eucalan because it contains the lanolin that is needed to waterproof your covers.

HTH!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 13 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

niccig
04-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks Eileen. I'm also thinking of trying wool shorts for summer. So it will be useful to have a good wash routine.