PDA

View Full Version : Measuring for soaker shorts and wool in general...

brittone2
04-12-2005, 12:17 PM
I too have managed to resist the "pull of wool" but with summer approaching and the fact that we are moving to NC where it will be HOT, I'm thinking of trying some wool for DS.

I am unsure of how to measure him for soaker shorts, etc. for example. Are the measurements provided the size of the actual soaker or the size he should be to fit in it? For example, many have an 18 inch waist and DS seems to have about an 18 inch waist exactly. Would a soaker this size fit...does it have give or would he be at the end range of use for that size? I'd SOOO love to try some little soaker shorts on him but I don't know what I'm supposed to be measuring ;)

Do I measure him OVER a dipe? We are mostly pocket users, and I have one sugarpeas hemp fitted that we like. We have lots of CPFs but I haven't used many lately. Are soakers okay over a CPF? DS doesn't poop that often these days so it isn't as big of a deal I guess. Should I buy more fitteds if I go with wool?

And...am I right in thinking you can reuse the wool soakers a few times over the course of a day once they are dry? How much is Euclan? We've been CDing for almost 14 months now and somehow I'm just wool illiterate I guess ;)

TIA!

pritchettzoo
04-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Yes, you measure over a diaper. Use the biggest diaper you would normally use under that soaker. For a nighttime soaker, it's going to be bigger than a daytime soaker. Then I would email the soaker-making-person with the measurements and ask for a size suggestion. Likely the 18-inch waist measurement is unstretched, but maybe not.

Soakers are fine over a CPF, but you will have to use a snappi or pins to hold it together.

You can reuse a soaker much more than that! I use the same one all night for at least a week. Daytime wool I let air out between changes if it feels damp. When it starts smelling like pee (or worse!), then you wash it.

Euclan is fairly inexpensive, but you don't need it. I made my own wool wash and love it. Dr. Bronner's soap (or baby wash) with some liquid lanolin (bottle at Whole Foods was $6 and will last eons) and a couple of drops of EO. I like sweet orange, but you don't even have to use that! Plus making your own lets you add more lanolin and skip the lanolizing step.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

brittone2
04-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Anna...thanks a million!!

mudder17
04-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Whoa! Making my own! How come I never thought of that! :) I've got a doodle bottoms wash coming, so I've got a bit to use up but now I know what I can do in the future. You're an awesome source of info Anna!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 13 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!