PDA

View Full Version : wool in summer?

SeekerMage
04-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Ok so Im still stuck on the whole, how is wool cooler in the summer? I have all pockets mostly FBs, does this mean she is gonna be sweating to death in her diapers outside? If i do get a wool cover....are they trim enough to fit under her shorts? I dont want to have to give up my pockets if I dont have to....but maybe a wool cover for outside would be good? HELP! This will be out first summer CDing...I need advice. :)

papal
04-13-2005, 08:33 AM
For us, last summer with anything PUL was pretty bad.. dd got really red and hot in her diaper area. I think it is the humidity more than the heat sometimes that bothers them. Anyway, I had to quickly get a couple of wool covers and used them with prefolds and the few fitteds i had. I actually used dispies and found them more breathable in the interim.

brittone2
04-13-2005, 08:48 AM
We use FBs almost exclusively, but I know last summer DS did tend to get sort of red and a little bumpy from the fleece/PUL/lack of breathability, and we seldom have problems with any kind of diaper rash at all. So, I know I've been mulling over some wool for this summer since he'll probably be more active, and the fact we are moving to NC where it will surely be even hotter.

My plan right now is to maybe buy a stacinator or two and a few knitted soakers and soaker shorts. The soaker shorts can be part of an "outfit" especially around home. No need for another layer of shorts over top of it so it should be cooler.

But...I'm going to be new to wool in general so this is all just theoretical right now LOL ;)

papal
04-13-2005, 10:19 AM
I do think it is simpler for boys.. i would exclusively use only wool-shorts or wool-board shorts with tees! Nice and simple. With girls, you have to deal with dresses and then sometimes the dipe doesn't match, so you want a matching bike-short or capris.. so the dipe has to be trim. Of course, girls can wear boardshorts and tees too but i love the summer dresses! :)

brittone2
04-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Yes, in that regard I guess it is simpler to dress boys ;) Good thing since our choices are so limited in clothing anyway (most of the time!) I'm kind of looking forward to seeing him crawl/walk around in some cute soaker shorts this summer :) I am definitely envious of those of you with girls though...the dress and cloth diaper bubble butt combo is awfully cute :)

BTW Rashmi, I love your Avatar of Leela...she's really growing up!

niccig
04-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Where's a good place to get soaker shorts? I'm new to CD too and don't want DS to be all sweaty come summer.
Thanks,
Nicci

psophia17
04-17-2005, 02:06 PM
Reviving this post - I'm thinking I would prefer DS not in PUL or nylon over the summer, and am also looking for wool soaker shorts. Where can you get these, or where can you find a pattern to make them from old sweaters (I think I saw something about this somewhere - but who knows where?).

Also, since I haven't got a clue about CDs in summer, are fleece shorts breathable? Do the legs need to be close-fitting? Is there anything else to know about fleece or wool shorts?

mudder17
04-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Wool soaker shorts--I'm actually putting Kaya in wool covers, soakers, whatever I have. I don't actually have any shorts, per se, but I don't think that'll matter. She went around today (70+ degrees outside and very sunny) in a bijou baby fitted, a stacinator stretch wool cover (I decided to go with the large, Rashmi, because I'm just too darn lazy and I wanted to use these, LOL) and a t-shirt. It worked very well and she looked very cute. :)

I think fleece would be breathable, but I think they would be too warm for the summer (which is why I'm going wool).

Let's see...my wool soakers have come from ebay (tinker6729 or BJMarketplace), the Brownie Fairy, and I'm getting one from Pickle Pants (which I think will be very nice). I have an awesome wool cover from AngelDry (front aplix), the Stacinator Stretch Wool (love this one--feels like a t-shirt), and a couple other ones I probably won't use during the day (too bulky). If you do a search on ebay, there are a ton of sellers. Let's see...other sellers:

www.baabaabottoms.com
[link:www.barefootbaby.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WWS&variation=LG+BLUE&aitem=3&mitem=9|barefootbaby.com] (the AJ's looks pretty cool
[link:www.wholefamilymarket.com/Wool-Covers-p-1-c-11.html|wholefamilymarket]
[link:fernandfaerie.com/bumfuzzy.htm|fernandfaerie] this place has patterns as well
[link:lambkin96797.com/WoolCovers/|lambkin] this is good for those who want gussets
lilbunz.com of course
http://www.hyenacart.com/NewLifeWoolens/

Hope this gives you something!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya, www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040222/0/0/1/-5/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 13 months & counting
Kaya's cousin, due October 9th!!!

daisymommy
04-18-2005, 12:00 PM
t may be little know here, but if you go over to the diaper boards at MDC everyone will tell you how breathable nylon covers. Nylon is actually made up thousands of microscopic holes or pores that allow it breathe, but not leak--sort of like wool.

Nylon pull-on covers like Bummis (love these!) are cheap ($5.00), and paper thin/trim under clothes.

I have had Joshua in Bummis under his shorts outside on every hot day we've had here, and he has had nice cool rash free skin at every diaper change. The one day I had him in a sposie outside he had a rash everywhere from the heat being sealed in, and the friction.

If you can afford to do all wool during the summer, then great. But I wouldn't dare let Josh play in the sand-box in his wool soakers! :) But a $5.00 Bummis cover under a pair of comfy shorts works just great!

holliam
04-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Beth, we are doing mostly wool here this summer, and I have an excessive amount of it. LOL I'm sure once you get here, and Mari is home, we can work out some deals.

Holli

brittone2
04-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks Holli! We have 3 pairs of soaker shorts on the way, and I'm crossing my fingers they all fit decently. I'm probably going to pick up a Stacinator or two once I figure out what size to get Logan!

I'm always up for working out deals when the time comes Holli :) I just hope Mari gets home soon and we get to see her cute little cloth diapered bum gracing this board :)

Any word on a date yet? I'm thinking of your family and hoping it is very very soon!

brigmaman
04-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Ok, now I feel like a total newbie. What type of Bummis cover is this? Off to investigate. I'm looking for options for Brig.
ETAsk:Is this the Super Whisper Pant, or Cotton Pant or neither? I don't think they come big enough for us- but I'm hoping!

tarahsolazy
04-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Its the Super Whisper pant, and they run VERY BIG, Trish. Try a large on Brig,it might just work!

knaidel
04-18-2005, 11:24 PM
what are wool-shorts and wool board shorts?

yitlan
04-18-2005, 11:33 PM
I've used wool covers and they're no worse than anything else. My feeling is anytime you have moisture and cloth next to skin, you're going to generate some heat! So just be sure to change as soon as you realize the dipe is wet.

[link:www.moeconsultant.com/sign2speak|FREE Fuzzi Bunz?]
[link:www.cleverkingdom.com|Cute, affordable clothes for your family]
Email [email protected] for more info.

daisymommy
04-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Yep, it's the SuperWhisper pant. The cotton one's are more bulky and wick. Joshua weighs 34 lbs, has a 21" waist, 18" rise and 13" thighs, and wears a large quite comfortably. They do make an XL too, so I'm sure you can find one to fit Brig!

Just an FYI...Babies-R-Us sells a 2 pack of Dappi pull-on covers for under $5, and many people swear they are the same as Bummis. I haev never tried them myself, so not sure about their fit. One thing I love about Bummis is they don't leave red marks on his chunky thighs like other covers do.

I get my Bummis from lilbunz or naturalbabies.

nbrackman
04-21-2005, 03:22 PM
I think the Dappi pull-on pants are terrific. Cheap, easy, and effective.

Actually I like the Bummis whisper pant (pull-on) and the Original wrap (not the Super) much better than the super industrial The whisper pant pull-on runs true to size or a little larger, but the Original Wrap tends to run small. I found them to be quite cool. Another very cool nylon wrap is Bumkins. We found the aplix on those don't work so well for my second dd (they were great on my older one) because of the way it's cut, but it has a nice vent in the back for breathability.

Holli, I am SO GLAD to see you again! I have been wondering where you are and how y'all are doing. Please accept my best wishes and I hope you get Mari home to you very soon!
Best, Nicole (Gaby'sIma on MDC).